Your Ad Could Be Here

What's Your Opinion On.....

• Noob

I recently started writing, I guess you can say a poem, because they are lyrics to a song I have yet to write. Before I actually started writing it, I arranged it so that certain lines have a certain amount of syllables. Trying to write something within these boundaries is fun and challenging, almost like a puzzle. But the question is, what do YOU think about it?

well i think a lot about this...lol

basically a song is kinda Jigsaw Puzzle....you have all pieces in a box....once you decide the subjects that i compare with the picture given.....and different aspects and bringing all aspects and establishing a link with it is a great deal....

coz if you can't really establish a proper link then your song fails....thats what lastly happened to us {me and Neoteric...} when we collaborated....and we got to learn from it...and thats why i am right now able to tell you even...lol....

for instance...any subject has dark and bright side....so switching on to the dark side or vice-versa is a great deal...it's kinda roller-coaster ride......just next moment you have to make your rider {here reader} surprize by 360....i hope you are getting what i am saying....and for that chorus plays a big role...moreover bridge is a part which can help with sudden change or helps in revealing the whole subject....

Regards, Prayag

I recently started writing, I guess you can say a poem, because they are lyrics to a song I have yet to write. Before I actually started writing it, I arranged it so that certain lines have a certain amount of syllables. Trying to write something within these boundaries is fun and challenging, almost like a puzzle. But the question is, what do YOU think about it?

I think far too much about it to wish to go into lengthy detail.

But I think you are working the right way.

Yes. Useful way to work, and I wish more lyricists did that.

I guess I do that myself unconsciously, because I always start with a melody, and the words have to fit the melody. Therefore, I'm doing the syllable-watching thing, but mostly without thinking about it. When I'm doing music to somebody else's lyrics, I often find myself tweaking their words, thinking "Wait--there's got to be a rhyme Right There," or "Wait--there's too many syllables in this line," and so on.

Glad you're doing this. I think it'll make you easier to work with.<g>

Joe

• 1 month later...
I think that this method is limiting what you can do in terms of message, rhyming and so on. So.. I really don't like writing lyrics after anything really, maybe the "mood" or feeling of a song, but not more than that.

i'd usually agree, keep it simple, play from the heart. That said playing around with ideas like this could open up new avenues whilst closing others.. inspiration lurks in some oddly pronounced places.