Your Ad Could Be Here

Acoustic Treatments

Hey

What do you do to make your studio better acoustically? Did you have specific issues to solve? Hot frequencies? Hot spots? Do you use bass traps? Tune traps like helmholtz resonators?

I imagine most of you, like me, use your control room as the studio, which is probably the spare room in your house. Being a home acoustics tend to be the most neglected aspect of a studio, next probably being sound proofing.

I know it can sound excessive but when you have a problem....

Cheers

John

Hey

Must be said that I'm luck in that the studio only has two opposing surfaces, even the roof is double angled, so there is little opportunity for standing waves to form so few hot spots. Lots of soft furnishing so reasonable dampning, broken surfaces so not to verby. Only real problem is equipment noise and the occasional creaky floorboard.

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...

Mine's a f*****g disaster area. Loads of parallel surfaces, a resonating chamber above the ceiling that is not my property to do anything with, an L shaped piece of wall in it. I gave mitigated it somewhat with egg boxes stuffed full of rockwool on the ceiling and polystyrene stuffed with cloth in the corners. I still have a problem at 177 hertz and the harmonic at 344 hertz, which I assume is related to the fact that the room is 3.7 meters across, giving a standing wave at 88.5 hertz and the first odd and even harmonic. I haven't measured the room, but it does look about twelve feet across...

I'm building my studio again now (together with hallway and livingroom) - My plans so far are to have a correct speaker placement, a daybed for a basstrap (and to sit and sleep on), a thick curtain behind the whole back wall and some diffuser treatments on each side of the listening position.

I'm contemplating on buying this thing as my centerpiece. Dunno how much shipping to Norway will cost, though.

I'll provide you with some pictures of it when it's done.

From my view out here in stereotype-land, shipping flat-pack DIY-assembly furniture to Norway looks a bit like coals to Newcastle....

Haha :) - I see your point. If I could get this at IKEA, it would be much cheaper of course. Unfortunately I can't. It was my wife who found this, actually - it has a high WAF factor :) ...

I'm waiting for a quote for it now ... I'll let you know :) ...

• 4 months later...

I have a storange room in connection to my room, so I usually record there. It's a mess fortunately, theres stuff everywhere, on the walls and on the floor, no flat surfaces here :D The floor is aslo covered in broadloom (is that the word?), a thick, soft and rough carpet. I suppose it's pretty good for recording, ironically I just have a regular SM58 atm, so I don't really need it ;)

• 1 month later...

I have a rectangular room which is helpful. So i have the desk facing towards the furfest away wall.

Have used the mirror trick for placing absorbotion on the walls. Floor is carpet and the ceiling has been left alone. Its a very dry room for recording which is what i want and unless i really crank up the noise when mixing i dont ever get any bass builds up.

Windows have thick curtains across.