Your Ad Could Be Here

How Do You Formulate Riffs?

Hey

Generally simple experimentation. Sometimes musically I start with riffs but more commonly I have the melody and chords in place and work on a riff to fulfill a specific aspect of the piece.

When working on riffs I tend to go over and over evolving the riff into something fluid and appealing to my ear.

Depending on the role the riff has to fulfill the nature of the riff can change quite significantly.

Cheers

John

Actually, I usually just try to pick the melody. Since I'm not that good on the guitar, I won't quite get it, but I'll be close. With luck, I'll convey the impression the deviations were deliberate (in the immortal words of Darkwing Duck as he slammed into a wall, "I meant to do that") and maybe give people the idea here's someone who really knows what they're doing. I am surprised how often it works.

Joe

I dont use riffs, but once in a while a riff will somehow 'appear'. Using a riff up front in composition will determine where a song can or cant go. So it will both:

1/ Help focus the direction of the music.

and

2/ restrict development options.

I would suggest try applying a riff at the later stages of the writing.