Your Ad Could Be Here

Pa System - Need Advice

Looking at setting up a rehearsal area in the basement for my son to practice, write and possibly basic recording. Need to keep things fairly low volume . he is buying a Roland TD-3 kit to continue writing his own songs as he plays pretty much as well as his drummer did

Here is my thinking, please set me straight if this sounds goofy.

What he has so far.

Gibson SG Standard

Zoom G2 effects pedal

Crate Tube amp

Shure SM58 mic

Boss RC-20 Loop station

Zoom H4 recorder

Roland TD-3 kit next month

Now as for a PA system, I am thinking powered speakers and a mixer as opposed to powered mixer and speakers.

Want something inexpensive that will sound good in a small room at home. BUT, I am thinking that it would also make sense to get something that would be capable of playing for a small room of 200-300 people. I hear that a lot of guys wont use electronic drums live but for a small gig in apinch a cant see why not. Could probably achieve a great sound overall in a lounge setting.

Would 500 to 600 watt speakers be enough and say a 12 channel mixer. Been looking at Yorkville - NX55P 550 Watt 1x12inch Powered PA Cabinet and maybe a behringer mixer. Would the behringer speakers compare. they seem a lot cheaper.

Please let me know if I am on the right track. I really know nothing about this stuff.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hey

Your logic about getting a system that can double for small gigs too is a good one. When you say electronic drums do you mean a drum machine or am electronic kit? I would think a drum machine would be good although I would probably be more tempted by a portable sequencer and a separate sound module. that way you can create drum patterns and other synthesized sounds.

If you are buying a PA system I would also look at getting some effects either built into the console or as a separate outboard.

Cheers

John

I use a yamahaha DTXpress drumkit. I like it lots, it's much better than a programmed drum machine IMHO, and at the end of the day you can update the module if you like the kit itself. I'm not sure about mesh pads as mine is rubber. Did you get this kit yet? From my research it looks like a winner...

One tip, makes sure he puts the brain module out of harms way, I whacked mine pretty good a few times and it has developed brain damage

Hey

Your logic about getting a system that can double for small gigs too is a good one. When you say electronic drums do you mean a drum machine or am electronic kit? I would think a drum machine would be good although I would probably be more tempted by a portable sequencer and a separate sound module. that way you can create drum patterns and other synthesized sounds.

If you are buying a PA system I would also look at getting some effects either built into the console or as a separate outboard.

Cheers

John

Went and got the Roland TD-3 Kit and its very good so far. Well built IMHO.

My son plays guitar and needed the drums so he can rehearse at home once he finds a drummer. Will use it for recording as well. He also plays drums.

So now we are thinking something along the lines of behringer B-215A active speakers and a 8 to 12 channel mixer. Also could buy some used rentals Yorkville NX55P for about $550.000 each at long and mcquade. Would either of these be ok for a small to medium room 100-175 people. We would likely run drums , 1 lead guitar, bass and vocals through them.

Could add a sub but I am thinking the 15 inch speakers will be ok for now.

Any thoughts?

I use a yamahaha DTXpress drumkit. I like it lots, it's much better than a programmed drum machine IMHO, and at the end of the day you can update the module if you like the kit itself. I'm not sure about mesh pads as mine is rubber. Did you get this kit yet? From my research it looks like a winner...

One tip, makes sure he puts the brain module out of harms way, I whacked mine pretty good a few times and it has developed brain damage

Yep, went with the roland and even I am having fun on it.

LOL, Brain damage. Yeh we noticed that to so I sort of tucked it in between the HH and Crash. Hopefully it will be safe there.. They should put a raised foam edge about 1 inch high around the perimeter of it. At least that would reduce the risk a bit.