Your Ad Could Be Here

Is Dylan Still Relevant?

Guest Mason

Hello,

Im a average bloke with an interest in writing songs, maybe even performing and/or recording them at some point. I am in a bit of a split as to which one of these areas should come first. I have never performed in public (well I busked a few times), I have never recorded (finances won't allow me yet, plus I also need some material that is worthy of recording). However songwriting has long remained a fascinating area of endeavour for myself and im sure many. Though I have several questions regarding the music business, making records, performing in appropirate locations and having my own lyrics judged; this is meant to be the introduction post.

Quite frankly I find these posts rather monotonous and everyone saying the same, and I like most others are here for advantages and benefits of being in this online community. I shall be posting some of my own songs, which I would love for you to criticise and help me improve. Firstly I ask you whether their is any importance left for his 'great bobness'? I personally love his songs and im aware that many of us are perhaps pushed to draw out some of our own lyrical blood when his songs drift into our ears for the first time. In a digital age where we have artists such as Muse, MGMT, Kings Of Leon and a host of other indie/electro bands/artists/music, has the time of the greats been and gone? What are we as songwriters obliged to do? Wave goodbye Dylan, Springsteen, Prince, Cohen, Mitchell, Wilson, Morrison, Mccartney and Lennon (and the many more besides!). Or is there still a flame that burns for those wanting a poetic lyric over a blank 4 chord canvas?

That is my introduction. My name is Mason.

Hi Mason

Welcome to Songstuff :)

No one says what people have to say and the more interesting ones tend to be where there is a creative take on the intro itself... :) So no worries.

I think there is definitely a market for the poet, the lyricist. people still want to hear words that resonate. there are new Bobs out there. New greats are born and grow. Things do move on though...

The times they are a changing :)

Cheers

John

Hi Mason and welcome.

You pose an interesting question and in a way you answer it yourself. You specifically asked about Bob Dylan but went on to list others that you categorized as "greats". So in that regard I would say that those artists are as relevant as greatness is. Mediocrity has sadly become the norm in recent times. But as John said there are those out there who are capable of greatness and continue to be inspired by those artists of the past whose music and messages have stood the test of time. If we view music as a living entity, ever evolving, then the forerunner of the current manifestation is surely relevant as modern music could not have existed without the influence of previous versions.

Or maybe I'm just getting old. ;)

"The world don’t need anymore songs. No. They’ve got way too many. As a matter of fact, if nobody wrote any songs from this day on, the world ain’t gonna suffer for it. Nobody cares. There’s enough songs for people to listen to, if they want to listen to songs. For every man, woman and child on earth, they could be sent, probably, each of them, a hundred records, and never be repeated. There’s enough songs.

Unless someone’s gonna come along with a pure heart and has something to say. That’s a different story.

But as far as songwriting, any idiot could do it……

…. what can you say ? The world don’t need any more poems, it’s got Shakespeare."

Bob Dylan

• Noob

What does relevant actually mean? To me, people like Dylan and Springsteen are still relevant, and are the reason I keep writing. I'm 28 and grew up on Bob Dylan and The Beatles. As I grew older I moved onto other bands, Oasis, Kings of Leon, Stereophonics, and even the re-united version of Take That. But Dylan and The Beatles are still massively relevant to me, and always will be.

Im glad to hear it! (pun intended). I guess what I actually meant was, is their influence still around in contemporary pop music? Im aware that peopl still listen to them but has anyone tried to make any progression on what they have done? or have bands/artists nowadays followed a different calling?