Your Ad Could Be Here

Help On A Major Decision :)

Hey guys. I am looking to buy a new guitar, and want to spend $1500-2500 on it. I won't purchase this for another 3 to 4 months (stupid work lol) and so I want to make the best of this time and make the absolute best decision on this guitar and try out quite a few before then.

But I have narrowed it down to three models:

Gibson Les Paul Standard Gold Top (I believe the one I am looking at is a 2008 '57 reissue)

Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe (with the two single coils and the humbucker)

Gibson SG Robot Guitar

--

This guitar will probably not be used for shows (I have a couple cheaper guitars for that lol), it will be mainly used for recording and band practices, as well as standard home use.

Although I will be trying these out for myself, I want to see what you guys would choose and why.

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by MattGTO

Thanks on the input. I've never heard that about the gold top, that pretty much rules it out. But I would like a Les Paul Standard. Do you know if this problem is persistent through all of the Les Paul Standard models?

I will definitely check out Warmoth, thanks for the link.

All GIBSONS!! and this is from a Gibson guy, I Love the sound of my SG, but tuning is a major problem. Warmoth has my vote as well, or pony up and get a PRS

You are aware that Leo Fender makes G&L's now right? Just to muddy the waters a little :P

You are aware that Leo Fender makes G&L's now right? Just to muddy the waters a little :P

I have never liked G&L's :(

Gibsons are completely ruled out (I really don't like the heavy gauge thing). I really like PRS's though, they are amazing instruments. They are SO expensive though! I may have to splurge :P

This one definitely caught my eye...but how can I play one? It looks like it wouldn't be an in-store model.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Paul-Reed-Smit...043-i1427581.gc

Edited by MattGTO

Hey

What about Gibson SG? They are tonally more balanced than the Les Paul, and from experience they are nice to play...

Cheers

John

I never had a problem. I even used 8s sometimes

I never had a problem. I even used 8s sometimes

Alright thanks man!

I am thinking of just going for the SG special faded...I have listened to SG sound samples and this one seems the best sounding for the genre I am looking to incorporate into my music (classic rock vibes on alternative metal)...and IT'S THE CHEAPEST! Only $900!

Thanks for everyone's input and I will be testing out a variety of Gibsons in the next couple of weeks (hopefully) and I will post my thoughts.

• 11 months later...

what did you buy?

Another company you might want to check is Carvin. They make guitars to your specs. Played one or two

and never heard of anyone who had complaints.

• 1 year later...

Ive got all the guitars mentioned above xcept a Warmoth and they are all SO different.I love them all but they all have different places in sounds that im looking for at a given time.but i will put a plug in for carvin.I have two I had made and one i bought used,For the money you cant beat them,You can get a neck through with your choice of options and the most beautifull finish jobs ive ever seen for well under 2000