Your Ad Could Be Here

What sequencer?

I started on the Amiga with Octamed, then Soundstudio

On the PC I started with Cakewalk and now Sonar.

I am seriously considering going back to Pro Audio 9. There were things I could do in that, that I cannot do in Sonar....

I HATE Cubase.....

I got my version with dongle for sale... Anybody? (I'll check what version)

Hi John,

I started with Track 24 (low budget French software) on the Atari.

Then I moved to very Notator Alpha, quickly replaced by Notator, and bought the upgrades to Logic.

I'm still using the Atari, with Notator 3.2 for live performances, and Logic 2.5 for the studio (both software share the same dongle).

Didier

Hi HH

Not sure if you were celebrating or lamenting Cubase there. Having spent  a lot of cash upgrading Cubase over the years I feel miffed when it gets slagged.

However I can tell you abit about the prog. I am using the latest version Cubase SX 2. Steinberg have brought the progs into line with each other allowing more continuity between the programs. SL, SX, and Nuendo are essentially the same program now with the same audio engine but with added proffessional bells and whistles. I was initially impressed with VST as I was able to work out how the prog worked very quickly. Everything made sense. SX has many similarities and is more powerful and more flexible but took a bit longer to wrap my head around. Very impressive bit of kit though. Import a drum loop that is out of tempo with your piece, select the right tool and it simpy drag/squeeze the box into the right size on the screen and the loop gets automatically time streched and thus matches the tempo. Another helpful feature is the ability to customise the interface to your own specifications.

I have tried both Sonar. Pro Tools , and Logic very briefly and on all three occasions felt instantly lost. All these progs are probably just as good (if not better) as Cubase, but I think with the learning curve involved it makes sense to value your understanding of the software. Stability is also another issue. For me SX has been reasonably good but I am religiously conservative about messing with the registry i.e. installing other software.

First post of 2004 and I'm babbling!

Dave

Yeah I have to agree about needing big screen area in Cubase. I run mine over 2 flat screens and am thinking of adding a third.

What version did you try out?

I have found the latest version, based on Nuenso, complex but there has been an attempt from Steinberg to turn the software into a mixing desk replacement with all the inherent routing capabilities that that entails. Generally I have found it easy to operate and only get lost occasionally. Synching to digi video is wonderfully easy. It rips the sound right off the video and pops it into its own audio track.

The new version of Sonar sounds the biz though. What version are you using and how do you use it? Give us an example.

Dave

I grew up with Pro12, Pro24, CuBeat, CuBase, CuBase VST and now CuBase SL. But why the **** did the interface and controls all change so much for the most recent CuBase? I used to be able to play CuBase like an instrument - tappity tap tap and I could create and move things around v.v.fast ( mostly without using the mouse ).

But with SL/SX it's all changed and it's put me right off!

BS

I use Sonar 2.1 That too has changed! I know it now supports DXIs and all that cobblers, but some of the features of Pro Audio 9 are gone! They were probably more useful than what I've got now. Trouble is... If I go back to PA9 I will miss some of the features I have now!... Lifes a beach...

Marc?

Since Marc does not seem to be around, I'll sacrify myself to do the translation. As a preliminary statement, I'll state clearly that the profanities below are Steinberg's doing, not mine  :o

CuBeat, phonetically in French, is rendered as AssCock in English.

Given the fact that Steinberg were in Germany, and France was their second market at that time, you would have believed they would have paid attention before naming their software.

This software was the subject of jokes for months in the French music magazines.  :)

Didier

Yeah I found the transition from VST to SX a tricky one. The interface is good but is considerably different from last. Somebody I know commented that it was a pity you couldn't get a VST "skin" for SX.

I think that idea was to begin to streamline the product range. The difference between Cubase and Nuendo was slightly ambiguous in that they could both do things the other couldn't. In the new range Nuendo can do everything SX can do as well as a bunch of professional audio/visual stuff.

With SX2 you are virtually using a cut down version of Nuendo. Same audio engine and more video stuff. The BUSS architecture (connecting things up) is vastly improved. Customizable interface. Make it look more like Logic if you like! You can have a lot of info on the screen at one time. Takes a while to wrap your head round.

But I'm gettin' real into it boy! ;D

Dave

• 2 months later...
I grew up with Pro12, Pro24, CuBeat, CuBase, CuBase VST and now CuBase SL. But why the **** did the interface and controls all change so much for the most recent CuBase? I used to be able to play CuBase like an instrument - tappity tap tap and I could create and move things around v.v.fast ( mostly without using the mouse ).

But with SL/SX it's all changed and it's put me right off!

BS

You grew up with them a bit like Tarzan or Mogli did with chimpanzees?

I'm Amish, so that means I can't use zippers... and electronic sequencers fall in the same sacrilegeous category. Unless it's made of wood and wood only, I may utilise it.