Your Ad Could Be Here

Sound card?

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. The Live and Audigy cards have excellent 24/96 khz DACs. The problems are in the "shitty" drivers. This is where KX comes in.

No you're right - I know zero about soundcards. Just that "soundblaster" isn't a name I'd usually associate with audio quality, but maybe that's different now!

So how does it stack up against the EMU, M-Audio and Terratec cards at the same price ( with the new drivers )?

BS

Hey Chris

Dave gas made some great points but I've never had a problem playing PC tracks, and recording a live instrument to the PC.

In saying that, since getting my creamware cards I've had no latency issues.

Dave also mentions that they can't run VST instruments, there are however lots of synths, samplers, mixers and effects designed for creamware (a fair amount of which you get with the card), and this frees up your CPU for other tasks, including VST instruments. All in all this gives you far more scope.

The only reason I mentioned the 3 DSP card is that it would give you an idea of what they can do, without the massive outlay for the larger dsp farm cards. That and if you get one of these cards, you will still be able to link it directly to your 3 dsp card. With Creamware, you can use XLink to hook 3 cards up in the same PC. I believe that also covers 3 of the 15 dsp cards! Although be aware, the more dsps, the more ventilation will be needed, which means more fan noise, so you'll need to invest in an ultra quiet cpu fan and possibly a 2 fan PC case using ultra quiet fans.

Cheers

John

I think going for a powerful DSP based card like Creamware would hammer-cracking-egg scenario.

From what you guys say, I reckon a simple card should give me enough to workably integrate some software audio with my existing setup. Maybe if I find myself "migrating" more to the PC platform and playing my synths less  :'( then I'll look at getting some more hardware/DSPs in...although having said that maybe I could do with some of that heat over the winter...

BS

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. The Live and Audigy cards have excellent 24/96 khz DACs. The problems are in the "shitty" drivers. This is where KX comes in.

These cards are really a rejigged version of the EMu APS semi professional sound card. Creative bought EMU a few years ago and has been using much of the technology it developed for its professional recording gear in its consumer cards (source: Computeractive).

This KX, is this some all-around-drivers for SB cards, or do I benefit those only if I am working with music? What I mean is

should I install them if my machine is mostly for fun and games...I try to find that information from that site, but I miss it. ::)

should I install them if my machine is mostly for fun and games...I try to find that information from that site, but I miss it. ::)

So how does it stack up against the EMU, M-Audio and Terratec cards at the same price ( with the new drivers )?

I think the Soundblaster cards probably will be inferior to the more expensive cards. They miss multiple inputs/outputs for one thing (although you can use the digital in/outs at the same time as the analogs).

You only need the KX drivers if you want to use the machine for recording with cubase or some similar program, but the drivers also work fine with games and other programs.

The learning curve to use the drivers is quite steep, but by reading the documentation on their site and tweaking a bit most people should be able to set it up.

The KX drivers also have several effects and instrument plugins and you have a very advanced routing interface directly to the soundcard.

If you're a musician on a tight budget (aren't we all :-) ) I strongly advice you to check this out and spend the money you save on f.ex a better microfone (or food).

Bong

What set up are you going to go for?

Cheers

John

Well actually the twin carry-oakey sounds a bit complex.

I've got an old ansafone which I'm sure I could setup much more simply... :)

Current thought is to start off with a simple PCI EMU or Terratec and see how it goes. A lot of it will be me getting "into" things like CuBase SL and, hell, coming up with some new ideas!!

I'll keep y'all posted on my progress. My studio room will be another 2 weeks in the decorating phase though.

I do however need to purchase a coupla other things ( doncha love that word need ?? :wink: ).

Like active monitors and probably a "main" software synth...

BS