Your Ad Could Be Here

Collaborating

musicthom

Recently i was on the lyrics board having a look at some posts

Having a look at McNaughton Parks (Welcome To Where You Are)

I was ispired so much by the lyrics i sat down with my guitar and put down a tune you can check the topic here > [topic= Topic

for me in the set up at the moment i write all the songs in the band although working with the guys is so valuable to help the song evolve

also i think for me it opened me up to a new style of writing that i had never explored as this song ended up Celtic in sound (i think )

having a pre written set of lyrics took some of the pressure away of writing a full song

So what are the benifits from collaborating with another musician / lyricist ?

What are your experiences ?

Hey

I have to say i rarely collaborate these days, but that is a practicality issue for me rather than a deep seated aversion to collaboration.

My experiences to be truthful have been mixed. Different people have different expectations from collaboration, so I have learnt to agree upfront just how work should be treated and what, if any, restrictions govern the collaboration.

I've met more than a few "I am right" people in music creation. Personally i struggle to work where there is no room for flexibility, or openness. Once some ground rules are agreed I like a team approach to creating a finished work. Sometimes that means lyricist and musician stay strictly within their own realm, but that does not mean that "Can you re-write this?" is dismissed. it just means that the lyricist or musician sticks to writing their own material... but they work to gether for the song.

Other times I have worked with co-writers where there are no defined roles. Two songwriters working on words and music together. Or on occasion where one person does lyrics and music and the other lyrics alone, or music alone.

Working out any kinks before collaboration might seem cold, uncreative, but actually i find it keeps a healthy creativity after agreement has been reached. Less possible areas where aggravation can occur for all parties.

On a purely creative level I love working with others. A chance to exchange ideas. To learn from one another.

One thing I have learnt is about the starting point. For me, I prefer to start on completely new songs. It avoids the notion of people being precious about what they have so far produced. It's not that i wont work on existing tracks, just a preference.

:)

All that said... i do love jamming! But for that matter I think jams should stay in the jam room. If you want to take it further there has to be "the chat"

Cheers

John

I've collaborated on several songs with different people. I'm not sure how to gauge that in terms of success, because had I not collaborated, I probably would not have written anything at all! So in that respect, it has produced something! My collaborees (?) appeared to have been quite happy with what I've turned out! even though there were some major changes to lyrics to accomodate a melody line. So in all, I think collaborations are a good thing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Noob

I've collaborated on several songs with different people. I'm not sure how to gauge that in terms of success, because had I not collaborated, I probably would not have written anything at all! So in that respect, it has produced something! My collaborees (?) appeared to have been quite happy with what I've turned out! even though there were some major changes to lyrics to accomodate a melody line. So in all, I think collaborations are a good thing!

I totally agree with the previous response... co writing has to be open and honest, but some people don't seem to be able to collaborate. I too have had mixed results, some fantastic, some were .... mmm ... not so good. All were interesting and taught me some things however... This question prompted me to put in a request...

I am searching For co-writer(s)

This may not be the optimal thread/forum for this request, if there is a more appropriate thread/website/forum that is more geared to my question please advise and accept my sincerest apology.

I write a lot, mostly guitar and piano type stuff, sort of a blend of very diverse styles. I like music with strong melodies, interesting vocal arrangements, and a lot of emotion, but also like rhythmic songs that have kick to them (or all of the above). Not sure I sound like anyone in particular but I am influenced by Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, Peter Gabriel, Thomas Newman (writes soundtracks for movies), and the Shins (how's that for a mess). Looking for someone that shares my love of strong melodies and fascinating rhythms.

Over the years I have amassed a lot of snippets that I don't presently use. I have worked with co writers in the past and it has been a lot more interesting,and rewarding. Consequently I am seeking someone that may be interested in an online writing collaboration. Could be a one time shot, a train wreck, or a wonderful experience, but if if it works, obviously the hope would be for it to be ongoing.

I use pro Tools 8 to record with