Your Ad Could Be Here

Have You Changed?

I have been on Songstuff a while now in fact its over 3 years and in this time i have posted a lot of lyrics and songs, this got me thinking

has the way you look at songwriting changed?

here is a questions that may help us all look at how we have changed or not if that is the case

Has your way of songwriting changed since joining songstuff and if so how much of an influence has reading others work been to your writing ?

Edited by musicthom

Ok i will start this on off with my take on me

Has your way of songwriting changed since joining songstuff and if so how much of an influence has reading others work been to your writing?

most definately, my first few songs were really basic in structure but listening/ reading others work allowed me to see that there are other ways of setting down lyrics other than just a basic verse chorus structure

Edited by musicthom

• 3 weeks later...

I kinda sorta think ... if your perspective hasn't changed, then "what's wrong with you?" ???

When you join a community of people who are pursuing the same forms of creative writing that you are, it seriously helps you to put the whole thing in context, just as, for example, a stint at a publishing house might help you better judge what you read in "Writer's Market."

Music is always one of those things that will stand on its own pedestal: it is "the unassailable mountain" that none of us can truly climb. But there are various paths that one can take to approach it, and various reasons for doing so. The folks who dream of doing it "to get rich," or for writing the perfect song that (fill in star-name here) will surely want to record, get a healthy dose of reality. And the much-larger group of folks who don't find the encouragement that comes from a group.

One thing that the Internet teaches us all is that the true market for (and still-larger demand for) "music" is huge. Which is both a good thing and a difficult thing . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Bump?

I wouldn't say that this site has changed my writing (I haven't been here all that long). My song writing in general has changed a lot since I started writing (the second time), I used to start with a title that seemed catchy, then wrote around that, now I start writing random lines and going from there, sometimes never finding a fitting title. My structure is similar, I still use verse, chorus kinda thing, but the feel is different, I used to have the melodies of the verses match up (melodically speaking), but now I'm finding that it's more fun just to write it, if it doesn't fit the rhyme scheme or the melody of the previous verse(s), but it fits the lyrics, use it anyway.

What songwriting means to me has changed big time, the first album that I wrote was when I was in highschool and it was about a girl who I had a huge crush on, and that's really the only reason that I started writing (again), to express how I felt about her. Now I'm trying to tell a story, something that the listener can follow and enjoy, not really expressing anything, just having fun.