Your Ad Could Be Here

How Do You Find Your Inspiration?

Many things can inspire me to write, an emotion, an event in my life, even something i see.

It may not happen right away it can linger under the surface for some time or on some occasions happen right away

i have a small digital 4 track that i can lay down some rough ideas on its almost my note pad.

life, my own or others. Emotions. Pretty well anything really :)

Inspiration is greatly over-rated.

Discipline and application are much more important.

I find that my inspiration greatly increases in the presence of disiplined activity...

Plan on whipping something up?

Inspiration is greatly over-rated.

Discipline and application are much more important.

I find this slightly absurd, what is the point of a song if the only purpose of the writer is to write yet another song. To me, inspiration leads to emotion (or visa versa) which makes for higher quality works of art. Then again, that's just me.

As for the question at hand, I usually find motivation in events my life. Recently I decided to check my email, after readin the few new ones, I looked down and saw one from my ex. Stupid me, I read it, it was a conversation that we had had after she dumped me, and it just reminded me of those feelings that we shared, and it crushed me, so eventually, I'm going to sit down and just write it out, possibly making something worth while.

Darlink, you started this, so may I ask what inspires you?

I find this slightly absurd

You may well find it absurd, but that does little to change its fundamental truth.

A truth, moreover, with which all great artists and writers with substantive bodies of work throughout history and right up to the present are in full and well-documented agreement. Why wait around for inspiration? You may have time to waste, but they didn't: neither do I.

what is the point of a song if the only purpose of the writer is to write yet another song.

I am struggling to decode sense from that statement/question.

A writer's intention may be to entertain, to inform, to challenge, or just to add a little beauty to life - I have no idea.

Aside from that, a work simply exists in and of itself, and may last in terms of its significance for others.

And what can possibly be wrong with a writer's purpose being to write more (and better)?

I am a songwriter: my unabashed purpose is to write yet another song.

What on earth can be at issue with that?

I agree with Lazz. Songwriting is a lot about starting out and keeping going. Sometimes it is necessary to manufacture some time pressure to make it happen, sometimes it really does come as inspiration.

Most of the favourite songs I have written have come from a combination of both.

You may well find it absurd, but that does little to change its fundamental truth.

A truth, moreover, with which all great artists and writers with substantive bodies of work throughout history and right up to the present are in full and well-documented agreement. Why wait around for inspiration? You may have time to waste, but they didn't: neither do I.

I am struggling to decode sense from that statement/question.

A writer's intention may be to entertain, to inform, to challenge, or just to add a little beauty to life - I have no idea.

Aside from that, a work simply exists in and of itself, and may last in terms of its significance for others.

And what can possibly be wrong with a writer's purpose being to write more (and better)?

I am a songwriter: my unabashed purpose is to write yet another song.

What on earth can be at issue with that?

Totally agree with Lazz unless you're the type of song writer who writes songs for their own listening.

I write for a target market so I don't wait for inspiration or even need it when writing. I am an open book and when I write I let the ink of my soul flow through me like water. The day I became a good song writer was the day I learnt how to let great melodies into my life. The day I became a very good songwriter was the day I learnt the fundamentals of what actually makes a good song, and then I applied it.

Nothing helps more than practicing those two things. Creative release and practicing the fundamentals.

Hope that helps

JD

the actual nuts & blots process

As far as inspiration goes, I look at the world around me for things like this. Something that sticks out, it doesn't have to be a streak o' white lightning 'cross the corduroy sky. As for the course a writer takes, oh yea, for me it's a sit down and write, or more times than not, stop what I'm doing and write. But, writing is the key. Inspired or not, it's the honey and I'm the bee.

Moreover, reading helps as well. I recently read Keith Richards autobiography, found it interesting. It didn't inspire me, it did exemplify the work involved in this endeavor. Really, just enjoyed the read. However, I'm currently reading "Blood Done Sign My Name" by Timothy B. Tyson and am finding a lot of inspiration. Some reads just touch the soul in different ways for different people.

I think inspiration can found pretty easily, it's the discipline and application of time and effort, like Lazz said, that are going to make a writer out of you.

Tom

Edit:

I apologize, the post that this is replacing was extremly rude and completely uncalled for. If you write for commercial reasons, you will likely have a different point of view. This is where your experience guided you and my ignorance blinded me, for that I am sorry. Below I have re-replied to your comment.

Personally, I rely solely on inspiration, and no I do not release any, so what I write is just for me. I respect your opinion, but I stand by my belief that inspiration trumps all else. I don't fancy myself an all to great lyricist, but there are a few songs that I have written that I feel are quite exceptional. These songs are written from my heart and express my emotions, not songs written on a deadline.

Again, I apologize.

Edited by quardrant5

so

what I write is just for me.

That's a shame. I'd be interested in hearing or reading some of your stuff.

Here's my trouble, I don't know if you experience this or not, but when I write purely out of inspiration I usually write with too many clichés, it's those damn clichés that spoil the craftsmanship of writing for me. I would rather sit down and be inventive. I like going over lists of adjectives and uncommon nouns and verbs and finding something new. I like thinking about rhyme scheme and meter and melody and building a lyric. True, a part of it may have come from inspiration, but after writing that part down, it becomes more a technique of trial and error. There are a lot of errors. simply because something was inspired, doesn't make it good and good is not always something inspired.

Side note: I'm sitting on the campus of the University of Central Florida right now and a tiny little car just drove past with a huge solar panel attached to the top. The thing looked totally ridiculous. Probably some sort of science experiment having to do with green energy. Thinking the world is full of odd stuff to write about.

Tom

Edit:

I apologize, the post that this is replacing was extremly rude and completely uncalled for. If you write for commercial reasons, you will likely have a different point of view. This is where your experience guided you and my ignorance blinded me, for that I am sorry. Below I have re-replied to your comment.

Personally, I rely solely on inspiration, and no I do not release any, so what I write is just for me. I respect your opinion, but I stand by my belief that inspiration trumps all else. I don't fancy myself an all to great lyricist, but there are a few songs that I have written that I feel are quite exceptional. These songs are written from my heart and express my emotions, not songs written on a deadline.

Again, I apologize.

Hey quad,

I must apologise to you as I jumped on the "I don't need inspiration boat". It clearly offended you and I do understand why. I meant merely to say I don't particularly rely on it at all. If you need it and use it then that is fantastic as each of us here clearly have different ways to write.

Don't worry about getting hot headed either. I get annoyed by people who are very blunt but sometimes what you don't like is often good for you.

Take care

JD

That's a shame. I'd be interested in hearing or reading some of your stuff.

Well, I've posted a song (lyrics only) on the "lyrics critique" board, I'm trying to follow by the three reviews per one song posted, and I've only reviewed one so far, so it might be some time before I post another. As for hearing it, I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and make empty promises, but I am currently working on a website (coding it myself). I have no idea when it will be up and running, I still have a lot to do, I have to make all the lyrics pages, record a bunch of stuff, write and post the tabs/ chords etc.... Hopefully I'll get it going, and if I do I'll post a link.

Here's my trouble, I don't know if you experience this or not, but when I write purely out of inspiration I usually write with too many clichés, it's those damn clichés that spoil the craftsmanship of writing for me.

Usually a line just comes to me in my head and I run with it, I write it down and while writting it down another comes, so I write that one down, and the process just keeps going until I have a song. I do sometimes (okay, very often) run into cliches, but then I look at the rest of the song, if it's one giant cliche, then I leave it, otherwise I say th eprevious line over and lead into the one in question, then bam, new line.

The problem I run into with songs that I have not been insired to write, the quality is awful, mainly because I don't want to write it. That is the only reason I wrote my first song, and that is why I've written 50 songs since, something happens and I need to vent (for lack of a better word), so I break out a pencil and notebook and write a song for who or whatever pushed me.

Hey quad,

I must apologise to you as I jumped on the "I don't need inspiration boat". It clearly offended you and I do understand why. I meant merely to say I don't particularly rely on it at all. If you need it and use it then that is fantastic as each of us here clearly have different ways to write.

Don't worry about getting hot headed either. I get annoyed by people who are very blunt but sometimes what you don't like is often good for you.

Take care

JD

No one offended me, I just over read and assumed that I was being trampled on because I'm new here. Then I wrote a post which wasn't explicitly insultive, but I thought it was rather arogant. After looking around the site for a couple of minutes, I cooled down and realized how stupid and paranoid I was being so I removed the post and wrote something which I thought was more civilized.

I hope that I haven't offended anyone with my "I'm right, you're stupid" attitude.

As for the topic at hand, inspiration, it is indeed fantastic that we (and many others) have different writing styles, this can lead to great music that isn't confined to a narrow scope.

Edit:

I apologize, the post that this is replacing was extremly rude and completely uncalled for. .......

Again, I apologize.

Damnation - I missed it - sounds like it might have been fun.

Always very impressed by a person who owns up to mistakes, Quad. But please don't apologise for what you believe. Just be prepared to have it argued with in a reasonable and cogent manner.

I, for example, happen to disagree completely and unequivocally with your assertion that 'inspiration trumps all else'. If it works for you on a personal level, that's perfectly fine and dandy, but from a practical point of view it seems rather foolish and inadequate as a guideline for a way to work in any field of creative endeavour.

If you can't (or don't wish to) write to deadlines, that is also perfectly fine and dandy, it's no big deal.

But why knock that ability desire and determination in others to aim for professional standards ?

For my part I'm 50% inspiration and 25% playing around and 25% of bloody hard work.

If you can't (or don't wish to) write to deadlines, that is also perfectly fine and dandy, it's no big deal.

When there's talk about deadlines I always remember the (in)famous Douglas Adams quote: "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."