Your Ad Could Be Here

Guitar Recording Techniques

Allow me to introduce Dustin Prinz - A young musician of I would say 25 or so, just a guess there. He's very talented and his album sounds completely out of this world. He records with fairly low quality gear, probably the equivalent of what most of us here would have to tinker with.

This first video he discusses microphones... His prices are in USD $.

** BE CAUTIONED HE USES OCCASIONAL BAD LANGUAGE **

In this video he discusses how to record a guitar

I like his general philosophy that you don't need to spend thousands of £ or $ to get a good sound. "Make it work", as he says.

I hope this is informative and helps people.

- Alex -

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Noob

Thanks for sharing those videos. It's a good way to quickly learn the different options. I think that with most of those mics, they will add a bit of high end to the sound. I pry wouldn't trust the sm81 as much as he said with regards to natural sound, but if you like the sound then go for it.

My favorite spot to mic the guitar is over the shoulder at the bridge using a small diaphragm. Surprisingly good balance of tone from the instrument. I also like MS technique out front, and at the bridge. This way there's no phasing.

With regards to phasing there's a golden rule that said for a spaced pair, the distance between the two mics should be 3x the distance from the instrument. Now, you could get away with doing what sounds best, cause there are no rules! I like to put both mics in a pair of headphones in mono to listen for weirdness. I take one mic of it's stand so I can move it around freely as the person plays. If I hear any strange holes in the frequency, then I know something up.

Edited by RyanEarnhardt