Your Ad Could Be Here

"why Am I Not Famous Yet?"

--this little piece I've been reading may hurt a few feelings, but it needs to be said...--

"Fame is a bee. / It has a song / It has a sting / Ah, too, it has a wing."

– Emily Dickinson

First, let’s get rid of some myths. Musicians sometimes fall victim

to the notion they are doing something so precious and valuable that

they can’t understand why the world isn’t shoving money in their

pockets and adulation on their heads. “Why am I not famous yet?”– a

question rarely asked out loud but certainly poking around inside many

musicians – especially those aspiring to the heights of fame and worldly success. Is it me, or is there a bit of an entitlement mentality here –

that the world owes you a living, or something?

Well, surprise, your “work” is no more valuable than the

auto mechanic’s and the zookeeper’s. Let that sink in.

Reality check: The “culture industries” we play in perpetuate the myth by allowing the marginalization of “art” on the one hand, and the divinization of the same on the other. “Art,” according to this view, is created by the very

few and must be protected behind marble and glass in buildings

resembling temples of old.

The message is clear: Look, but don’t

touch. At the same time, “Art” is elbowed out of reach of the common

man, and the training of the same must happen in credentialed

institutions of “higher learning,” else you may not wear the badge of

“Artist”.

This might seem odd coming from someone employed by the world’s

top contemporary music college, but I base it on observation of

hundreds of music careerists over many years. While most musicians I

know take a humble stance in relation to their work, the myth persists

and can affect musicians’ inner lives to a great degree, sometimes

without them even knowing it.

Let’s face it. The upward climb can seem to last forever. In reality, it is

never-ending — unless you are planning on hitting some predetermined

plateau and squatting there.

Don’t fall into the trap of feeling that the race is not going well just

because you’re not at the finish line yet. The race has something to

celebrate all along its track. What becomes tiresome to the aspiring

musician is not achieving some significant milestones. We’ll address

that later.

Perhaps it’s helpful to remember all those ten year “overnight”

successes. Indie rockers Death Cab for Cutie released their first

record in 1998 and didn’t get their wider recognition until their first

Grammy nomination in 2008. It took almost ten years of total

immersion into his craft as a songwriter and vocalist for John

Stephens to make the transition to Grammy-winning John Legend.

And, lest we forget, when the Beatles landed in NYC in 1964 for

their first U.S. appearance, they had already been together since

1957 and had clocked an estimated 1,200 gigs, many

consisting of eight hour sets at Hamburg and Liverpool clubs!

Here’s the reality: A full-time performing (or, songwriting, or

recording, or what have you) career may not be in the cards for you.

The unrelenting laws of supply and demand are real, and are being felt

more today than ever before. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try for

it. Of course you should, and many will achieve it. But musicians need

to give themselves permission to be weekend warriors with non-music

day jobs too.

That’s OK, ok?

Being a full-time “artist” is a fine goal, but try seeing that goal in light

of Meister Eckhart’s words: “An artist is not a special kind of person.

Rather, every person is a special kind of artist.” A business meeting is

a jazz jam; a DIY rock band is a management team. Don’t let

industrial age divisions of labor blind you to the possibilities for

creative engagement everywhere and anywhere. You can create in

myriad ways with myriad means in myriad venues.

Of course, the myth of the Artist is currently crashing on the rocks of

the DIY revolution where everyone from your kid sister to Jay Z are

seizing control of the means of production to put their creative

thumbprints on the new music landscape. This revolution is

empowering millions while at the same time creating more competition

for everyone. I tend to agree with Producer Richie Zito that with the

current technology, there is a tendency for artists to record long

before they’re ready. He reckons it’s like cooking. You can have all the

ingredients in the world, “but if you take it out of the oven too soon,

it’s not going to taste good.” Here, here.

Just because you can record and release tracks and CDs doesn’t mean

you should. No wine before its time.

Insert from Peter Spellman's "Developing Music Careers in Uncertain Times" - eBook

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Don’t fall into the trap of feeling that the race is not going well just

because you’re not at the finish line yet. The race has something to

celebrate all along its track. What becomes tiresome to the aspiring

musician is not achieving some significant milestones.

Insert from Peter Spellman's "Developing Music Careers in Uncertain Times" - eBook

This is key, imo, and how to address the 'I got the blues paying dues' state of mind which can accompany an artist's weariness.

Well, surprise, your “work” is no more valuable than the

auto mechanic’s and the zookeeper’s

Mind meld, Tom. I thought about replying along the same lines...that cultivating a sanguine temperament helps, because the sanguine is kind of like a small child who tends to not get fixated too deeply on any one thing (because they also look for ooh pretty shiny! in everything). But I didn't want Prometheus to think I was pooh-poohing away the reality.

Well, what I've done is renounced the music industry and severed all financial links with it. This means that although I have to do a mundane job during the weekdays, I can choose only to work on projects that I think are going to be fun or interesting.

It just works a lot better for me that way. Recording cheesy jingles for MAN Truck rollouts and such like, while lucrative, just isn't what I feel rock and roll is about and sadly that is where most of the bread and butter comes from for a sound engineer, corporate gigs. They have crazy amounts of cash to spend and throw it around liberally, but... Yich!

Makes sense, bro.

Well, what I've done is renounced the music industry and severed all financial links with it. This means that although I have to do a mundane job during the weekdays, I can choose only to work on projects that I think are going to be fun or interesting.

It just works a lot better for me that way. Recording cheesy jingles for MAN Truck rollouts and such like, while lucrative, just isn't what I feel rock and roll is about and sadly that is where most of the bread and butter comes from for a sound engineer, corporate gigs. They have crazy amounts of cash to spend and throw it around liberally, but... Yich!

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that the individuals or groups who tend to do well in the music industry, are the one's that possess an abundance of drive, perseverance, and stamina. These qualities from what I have witnessed over the years, often succeed over talent. Some twenty odd years ago, I witnessed one particular unknown American girl who came to the UK because she thought it would be easier to break into a smaller market. I happened to be in the office of a certain record company boss at the time. She was introduced by a channel 4 woman producer who had indicated that the girl was talented. After 3 tracks were listened to, the girl was told that she would be contacted. After the producer and the girl left the office, the RC boss turned to me and said "she'll never make it", not in a million years. That girl finished up being a mega star not just in America, but worldwide

That girl had an abundance of drive, perseverance, and stamina. Regardless of how talented she was, she wouldn't have made it without those qualities. I have watched many talented individuals give up on themselves, because they lack those essential qualities.

• Like 1

Weirdly enough I wrote a blog post on a very similar topic a few weeks ago...

Why Is My Band Not Famous Yet

Just thought I throw that into the mix!

That girl had an abundance of drive, perseverance, and stamina. Regardless of how talented she was, she wouldn't have made it without those qualities. I have watched many talented individuals give up on themselves, because they lack those essential qualities.

Weirdly enough I wrote a blog post on a very similar topic a few weeks ago...

Why Is My Band Not Famous Yet

Just thought I throw that into the mix!

I hope I'll be excused for a transient but hopefully understandable and meaningful descent into cynicism here. I love the technical side of music, I could work that side of it all night and I could work it all day. To be fair, given some of the things I have done to make a living, I don't think my stamina is in doubt. I certainly have a driven type A personality too and I've been working in music in some capacity or other pretty consistently for twenty years now.

One thing I've never been able to pluck up the perseverance to do though, and one thing I have accepted that will forever be beyond my capabilities, is kissing the arse of people whom I really don't like. I must confess that I simply don't and never will have the stamina to mask my contempt for recording industry executives for any length of time.

They all pretend that their the one person who is hip, who's cool, who listens to demos, who sends the lift back down for the person coming up behind them. I actually think they genuinely believe it when they think and say that's what they are. Sadly, they are almost to a one living in a Walter Mitty la-la land.

I will agree that you are correct in stating that many record company executives are not very nice people. The majority are very selfish, cut throat, pompous and to put it mildly, "Ass holes".

However, I cannot say that I can put them all into that particular category. There are a couple of decent RCBs that I have found to be honerable people.

When I mentioned stamina, and perhaps I didn't make it clear enough for you to understand, I meant artists that have the ability to take a million no's without getting phased or depressed over it. They have this ability to badger people into submission. It doesn't mean that they ass lick as you put it.

I will agree that you are correct in stating that many record company executives are not very nice people. The majority are very selfish, cut throat, pompous and to put it mildly, "Ass holes".

However, I cannot say that I can put them all into that particular category. There are a couple of decent RCBs that I have found to be honerable people.

When I mentioned stamina, and perhaps I didn't make it clear enough for you to understand, I meant artists that have the ability to take a million no's without getting phased or depressed over it. They have this ability to badger people into submission. It doesn't mean that they ass lick as you put it.

In my experience there are very few people in the world who wake up in the morning wondering what evil they can do today. Most people do what they feel they are entitled to do.

The sad thing is that they forget to send the lift back down to the people who come after them. They often forget that they are privileged to be where they are and that they gained the rights and the skills they enjoy through the help of other people who were on the upper floors before them.

I include myself in this. There was a time when I had a lot of people saying "yes" to me a lot. As such, I constantly remind myself that I am the same as everyone else who's switched on a PC tonight, no better, no worse.

I do take your point though... "Former ass-kisser who has just absolutely had enough and turned lone wolf who plays by his own rules and sees the status quo with total and utter contempt seeks gainful employment" just does not open many doors in the higher echelons of the degenerate and contemptible performing arts industry that we have the despondency inducing misfortune to be working under the domain of.

I am also aware, painfully aware, that every time I point at any problems with the status quo of the recording industry, I cause deep offense to people I don't even know. That is not my intention.

They have this ability to badger people into submission. It doesn't mean that they ass lick as you put it.

This brings to mind the infamous phone call from Madonna to Jackie Onassis when she asked Onassis "Do you know who the f*ck I am?"

I have, and would again, reply to that with "Yes, I know who you are. You're the pompous ass who shall never set foot in my studio again."

When I mentioned stamina, and perhaps I didn't make it clear enough for you to understand

You made yourself quite clear. I mean absolutely no disrespect, I just have a very different outlook to yourself. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

One of the great things about no longer having to rely on the music industry for money is that I do not have to be a shill for people I have no time for any more. I only take on the projects I want to nowadays.

One thing I have noticed is that just about everyone involved in music agrees that the industry is shit until you actually start talking about really campaigning hard to change it, and then they suddenly cross the floor. I guess we would all rather sit is a boat that's full of gaping holes than risk swimming to a better boat.

In my experience there are very few people in the world who wake up in the morning wondering what evil they can do today. Most people do what they feel they are entitled to do.

The sad thing is that they forget to send the lift back down to the people who come after them. They often forget that they are privileged to be where they are and that they gained the rights and the skills they enjoy through the help of other people who were on the upper floors before them.

I include myself in this. There was a time when I had a lot of people saying "yes" to me a lot. As such, I constantly remind myself that I am the same as everyone else who's switched on a PC tonight, no better, no worse.

I do take your point though... "Former ass-kisser who has just absolutely had enough and turned lone wolf who plays by his own rules and sees the status quo with total and utter contempt seeks gainful employment" just does not open many doors in the higher echelons of the degenerate and contemptible performing arts industry that we have the despondency inducing misfortune to be working under the domain of.

I am also aware, painfully aware, that every time I point at any problems with the status quo of the recording industry, I cause deep offense to people I don't even know. That is not my intention. There is no worse enemy of freedom than a happy slave, and one of the few things I have to my credit is that I am one very pissed off slave.

Yes, we are all slaves to something or other. Even the president of the good old USA.

I think that in today's society, and in most parts of the world, many individuals have been sucked into the idea that unless they are "somebody" then they become a no-body. Sad really.

I take your point about the music business being fickle, but then again, so is the film industry, television, sales, politics etc, etc. When people are down on their luck or aren't performing consistently, they tend to be dumped pretty quickly.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the individual and how honest, compassionate, and honourable they choose to be. Most times, the pressure of business wins, and the outcome is more often than not, at the expense of someone who is nameless to them.

I guess we would all rather sit is a boat that's full of gaping holes than risk swimming to a better boat.

S**t, I am totally F****d, I can't swim.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the individual and how honest, compassionate, and honourable they choose to be. Most times, the pressure of business wins, and the outcome is more often than not, at the expense of someone who is nameless to them.

I don't think the people at the helm of the music industry are inherently any worse than the people at the helm of any other industry. I think the problem is that the performing arts industries seem to be overlooked for any of the kind of sensible regulation that other industries are subject to.

In the industry I currently work in, if they were to con me into doing a job for them on a false prospectus and then decide not to bother paying me, I could take them to town over it. They'd be forced to compensate me financially and the media would crucify them. In the music industry, that kind of thing is par for the course.

Strangely, I haven't heard so much as a whimper about it from the Musicians Union, although there was an article in one of the national newspapers here about the BBC and ITV engaging in this kind of practice earlier this year. The ITV's spokesman made some kind of weasel worded excuse about a miscommunication and I don't recall that the BBC even commented on the matter.

S**t, I am totally F****d, I can't swim.

You'd be swimming against a current so strong that if it's ever tried a lot of musicians will drown trying... I suppose with the industry in a creative meltdown as it is at the moment and turning it's attention to bland cheaply produced reality television, someone will come along who will fill the void sooner or later.

You'd be swimming against a current so strong that if it's ever tried a lot of musicians will drown trying... I suppose with the industry in a creative meltdown as it is at the moment and turning it's attention to bland cheaply produced reality television, someone will come along who will fill the void sooner or later.

Well, I thank God for the internet, and those who created it of course.

Well, I thank God for the internet, and those who created it of course.

That would be the American Government and Military Industrial Complex, who also have to be credited with the Priority Driven Interrupt Request and the Micro Processor Revolution among other great things.

I've actually noticed that there is still a lot of great underground music on Myspace and Youtube for people who can be bothered looking for it. I would love to see the people behind that kind of stuff get a bit more recognition.

If William Blake, Lord Byron, Pink Floyd or The Who had come of age today, they'd never have made it past Simon Cowell.