Your Ad Could Be Here

Asdf

So I had an idea in a dream last night.

In my dream I was playing a song and throughout the dream various events took place (none of which I can recall right now) and each verse of the song I was playing was about the event. But the underlying message was that each verse was about an emotion.

EDIT: As suggested by Danka

“Denial (this isn't happening to me!)

Anger (why is this happening to me?)

Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)

Depression, sadness may remain underneath. (I don't care anymore)

Acceptance or “stability” (I'm ready for whatever comes)”

So they might be more feelings that a specific emotion, but I was wondering if this is a good idea to develop... I also for the first time am completely stumped about how to write music for this. Lyrics will be easy, not bothered by that at all. But how do I make music sounds Anxious, Stable, Angry and Sad? I'm sure doing it as a set-piece might easily be do-able... But the change has to be noticeable... Well f*ck me if I know what to do...

Any suggestions, ideas or criticism?

This is just coming off the top of my head but what you're looking for is drama to convey these emotions. Stay with me on this a moment Alex, before you begin to think I'm not talking out of my mouth lol.

In pictures or video, we see the emotion - easy peasy. How does a dancer convey them? Go on, ask yourself.

Straight away I thought of the drama that is conveyed in Bohemian Rhapsody (not the video) through the constant changes.

The lyrics will play a part but the delivery more. There's a song I know that kicks of with piano but has the added sound effects of first children playing (happy) and then gun shots (anxiety, worry).

There's lot of things that you can do with speed/pace.

Perhaps you need to make 4 sections, focus on each and then put them in the order where they link best.

• Like 1

It's a good idea -but I agree that you would need some kind of strong motif to carry through each emotion - also if the second verse is about stability, there the song could end - it is probably wiser to order it as Anxiety, Anger, Sadness and Stability -In fact many Blues or Country songs take this sort of form - ending with lines like

I now sit in my rockin' chair

Smokin my pipe and cleaning my shack

Watchin' the road from time to time

Though my tired eyes are dimming

I know she ain't never coming back -

But I keep watchin', all the same.

Top of my head stuff but that kind of stability - but not so stable that all the previous verses have angst have lost their power.

Edited by Dolce

Alex I don’t know if you aware of that, you nearly described nearly 5 stages of grief in peoples’ life.

The emotional suffering we feel after a loss of a person or some other kind of disappointment.

I hope that give you some help when you will write your music

“Denial (this isn't happening to me!)

Anger (why is this happening to me?)

Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)

Depression, sadness may remain underneath. (I don't care anymore)

Acceptance or “stability” (I'm ready for whatever comes)”

Danka

• Like 1