Your Ad Could Be Here

ROLAND U-110 PCM SOUND MODULE? HELP WANTED!!!

HI GUYZ!

A friend of mine gave me an old synth module, Roland U-110, with 4 PC-DATA-ROM's: SN - U110-02/-07/-08/-15.

It has no manual and I haven't the foggiest how this thing works... it has only a few buttons and volume in the front panel.... any of You guyz familiar with this thing? Does it have any useful sounds... or should I just paint it green and drop it in the ocean?

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

H.    :o???:o

Hi H.,

I didn't saw your duplicate post, and I answered in the Chat forum. Here's a copy of my post.

HI GUYZ!

A friend of mine gave me an old synth module, Roland U-110, with 4 PC-DATA-ROM's: SN - U110-02/-07/-08/-15.

It has no manual and I haven't the foggiest how this thing works... it has only a few buttons and volume in the front panel.... any of You guyz familiar with this thing? Does it have any useful sounds... or should I just paint it green and drop it in the ocean?

H.  ???

Hi H.,

As far as I remember, the U-110 sounds are in the family of the D-50, but based on larger/better samples.

Most of the sounds should be "realistic" sounds, not "synth" sounds.

I only tried tried it for 10 minutes (and years ago), but I seem to remember the sounds were good.

If I were you, I would definitely try it before dumping it.

As far as the manual, you could search on the Internet. But (normally), provided you've got a MIDI interface and a kind of sequencer, all you have to do is send program changes for basic operations.

Hope this helps.

Didier

Hey KJ

The u110 is reasonably old but still a good multi-timbral (8 part if I remember) synth with some pretty good sounds.

I found this page which gives some info on the pcm cards:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lak...76/pcmcards.htm

This page on the patch layout:

http://sawstudiouser.net/board/viewtopic.p...php?TopicID=103

I'll dig some more...

Cheers

John

Thanks GUYZ!

I got some sense into it when I plugged the damn thing to my MIDI-controller.... like changing sounds IN the module memory.... and some sounds are NOT TOO BAD! Maybe I can actually use this thing together with Soundfonts, and the rest.... hmmm interestink!

ONE THING still PUZZLES me...: HOW to get sounds out of those @£$%&#! PCM-cards.... haven't found THAT jig just yet....

Any help on this matter would be appreciated!

Bye!

H.  ;D

To get the sounds from the cards, you should just be able to go "up" a bank until it says "I". Then left/right as normal to select the patch.

I've got a U110 too. Had it for about 14 years now. Fabulous instrument. The pianos and strings are *still* good. Nice crunchy 12 bit. Don't use any of the internal FX though as they are terribly terribly noisy.

Have fun.

BS

To get the sounds from the cards, you should just be able to go "up" a bank until it says "I". Then left/right as normal to select the patch.

I've got a U110 too. Had it for about 14 years now. Fabulous instrument. The pianos and strings are *still* good. Nice crunchy 12 bit. Don't use any of the internal FX though as they are terribly terribly noisy.

Have fun.

BS

WOU... a real EX-BERT!

Tell me MORE!

H.  ;D

• 1 month later...

Hey H

How are you getting on with th U-110?

Cheers

John

• 2 years later...
  • Noob

Greetings from New Zealand.

My wife has an old-style midi studio with a Roland U-110 and she is

currently composing a piece that requires the Latin & FX Percussions

card (SN-U110-02). Sorry to bother you, but it sounds like someone

gave you an U-110 along with that particular card. I'm not sure if

you're going to put the U-110 to use, but in either case we'd be forever

indebted to you if you would consider selling (or lending) the card to

us. It's a big orchestral piece she's working on, so she would need

it for several months, maybe even a year. If you're willing to sell it

to us, we'd appreciate it if you could show us considerable mercy since

we're on a very tight budget. You could take the card itself (and the

little music chart inside) out of the box and just put it in an ordinary

envelope which shouldn't cost much postage. We're desperate at

this stage so we look forward anxiously to your reply. Thanks so

much in advance. I can phone you if you give me your number. Our

details are below. My email is: johnfschumaker@fastmail.fm

Thanks again. Hope this finds you well.

John & Cheryl Schumaker

Unit 2

43 Waimairi Road

Upper Riccarton

Christchurch

New Zealand 8041

EMAIL: johnfschumaker@fastmail.fm

PHONE: (64) (3) 341-2008

[smiley=rockin.gif]

HI GUYZ!

H.    :o???:o