Your Ad Could Be Here

What is a sequencer

Hey

Ok, I don't have much time right now, so I'll post a fuller answer later (if you want a fuller answer).

Sequencers are used to hold sequences of midi messages. You can get hardware sequencers, but nowadays most people use software sequencers.

You can read a description of midi messages in the midi section of Songstuff.

You can edit these sequences of messages and the content of the messages themselves.

Cheers

John

I use Cakewalk (Sonar)

I load it up, click on record and play something into it. (Keyboards, guitar, voice)

It records what I've just put in and that is a sequence of events. Once this sequence is in there, you can manipulate it how you want! Change the tempo, take notes out put notes in, quantise etc etc (depending on the complexity of your sequencer) A very basic sequencer will record midi events only (From a keybord), the more complex sequencers do just about anything you can dream of.

I have an RM1x sequence remixer, which is awesome, if you have time to study (which I don't). The way I see it, it is about repeatability. I can make sequences as short or as long as I want and have them repeat when I say (play seq1 x2, then seq3 x4, seq1 x2, seq4 x6), it can save most of this into "Song" format, so you don't need to do it every time. Once you do that, then you can mess with the speed, frequency, eq, ETC. Pretty Versatile unit.

yep...

i guess i got them confused because on the making of Dark Side of the Moon, they put a synth right next to a sequencer and he says "here is the companion sequencer" but didn't specify which one he was talking about

also, once my music theory teacher asked me if i had a "midi sequencer" for my sibelius program, he said that it would make all of the instrumentation

thank you chaps