Your Ad Could Be Here

Question About Non-Performing Songwriter Demo Cd

Good morning! I have a question I can't seem to get answered objectively. I'm a non-performing songwriter. I can sing and play guitar, but am not interested in performing. My plan is to submit a demo CD to a music publisher for the purpose to having my songs recorded by other artists.

So....how good does the quality of these recordings need to be? I have bought myself some decent equipment, am recording my guitar, vocals and harmonies on separate tracks and mixing them myself. I think I get a pretty good sounding song.

Is that good enough, though? Do I really need to hire a music studio to record and mix my demos? As I've never sold anything yet, I really don't have the money to pour into something that may never happen. And when I search for recommendations, it seems the people who always say you need a top notch recording are the ones who own recording studios (can you say conflict of interest?).

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

it is certainly a different market out there an expectations are generally higher in terms of quality. It does differ for different marketplaces. For example as a songwriter you might also want to submit to production companies for use in TV and film... and obviously they want the quality of the finished article... but strictly within music generally they look for finished quality songs from bands (demos are definitely bombed out) but for writers only they can be more lenient...

I would definitely NOT send out cold call unsolicited CDs. You might as well toss your cash for copying and postage straight in the trash.

Instead:

Do your homework. Make a short-list of appropriate label / publisher or production house to ensure your music is appropriate.

Call them. Note down names and roles. Get to know the people including receptionists!

Ask if they are looking for song submissions. Also at this stage find out what they want you to send them... ie guitar and vox with lyrics, a studio demo, a full band recording in a studio etc.. and in what format wav/mp3/cd etc. Also ask what info they need.

Make sure when you send in your CD it is expected. Send it to a specific person.

Getting to know different people within the companies is very useful for tip offs, making more contacts and knowing the deals currently being done.

OR

Toss your cash in the trash

:)

One view of merit is that your songs are worth the effort of sounding as good as they possibly can be. If you don't believe enough in your song, why should they? unfortunately is an attitude many have.

One other option you have is to directly approach bands local serious bands and try and get them to record your songs. if you approach bands who are already producing songs in a style that would compliment the songs it is a win/win. This can also help your Resume and can go some way to demonstrate the appeal of your music. After all as a non performing writer you dont get to easily point to growing fan lists as a reason for signing you.

Main points to take are call and ask what they are looking fir and then give them what they asked for :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the great words of wisdom! I bought the 2012 Songwriters Market guide and am targeting a few music publishers. I've also been eyeing NSAI and their critique service. Thinking about trying a couple submissions first (onacounta that's virtually free) and if I don't get anything positive back, take the $200 NSAI plunge to get some more detailed critique on the songs. I also have a friend who is starting up his own production company, and is offering to do the recording and mixing at a really good price ($100 a song). So I've commissioned him to do my 3-song demo and am crossing my fingers what I get was worth the money.

Any thoughts on this particular approach?

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the great words of wisdom! I bought the 2012 Songwriters Market guide and am targeting a few music publishers. I've also been eyeing NSAI and their critique service. Thinking about trying a couple submissions first (onacounta that's virtually free) and if I don't get anything positive back, take the $200 NSAI plunge to get some more detailed critique on the songs. I also have a friend who is starting up his own production company, and is offering to do the recording and mixing at a really good price ($100 a song). So I've commissioned him to do my 3-song demo and am crossing my fingers what I get was worth the money.

Any thoughts on this particular approach?

www.songu.com will give you a better value on critques then NaSI, You can join then get many critiques as you want until thel song is honed to it's best.

Their basically coaches, they wont bs you, Their only for serious songwriters trying to reach the majors on pitches. You can also pitch to majors right on there site and indy artists and also publishers. It's brutal on trying to get one to a a/r person for a listen on your own, unless you make a trip to Nashville and join either Ascap or BmI.

You can set up a meeting with a rep. but you better be pretty well on your way as songwriter before doing that.

Google magicshack studios nashville , they do a great job their the best I've used on demo's besides a real major studio which is probably out of your price range for a demo. They will also fit your song to whatever trend is happening now.

I haven't checked in awhile what's up with the new trends, Probably slicker.I'm sure.

Expect to pay 300.00 on up for a decent demo.

Edited by nashvillecal