Your Ad Could Be Here

Going out to get'em

Next week I'm doing a round on Oslo's record companies - 35 in all. I've prepared it all I think: biography, letter, pictures, demo cd (dah!) and lyrics all wrapped up in a little folder.

I'm doing this out of my vacation from work, so making sure I get the most out of it; I wanted to ask you all for any advice you might have - what to say/not say wear/not wear - anything at all you might have.

Hey Finn

Good luck!

Have you done your homework on the labels? i.e. checked the type of material they are accepting, are they accepting material at all, got the name of people in the A&R dept, tried to make an appointment?

It's worth making the effort, and all it takes is a few phone calls. It could save you the cost of some promo packs and some leg work...

Cheers

john

• 2 weeks later...
Next week I'm doing a round on Oslo's record companies - 35 in all. I've prepared it all I think: biography, letter, pictures, demo cd (dah!) and lyrics all wrapped up in a little folder.

I'm doing this out of my vacation from work, so making sure I get the most out of it; I wanted to ask you all for any advice you might have - what to say/not say wear/not wear - anything at all you might have.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah how did you get on with this Finn? Did you get any interest at all?

I've finnaly managed to download your compilation demo. It's very good! Some interesting snippets in there!

Finn

Come on dude, what happened?

Cheers

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After calling most of the record companies I ended up taking only 2 days from work to do the last calling rounds, pack the stuff and just send it out instead of meeting them -- they weren't interested in that. I sent out 25 demos to different record companies in and around Oslo.

8 rejections so far :-[. But there's still a lot I haven't heard from. I'll do a telephone round after Xmas. I kinda got the impression that things were busy now before Xmas.

If I get no reaction, I've got plans ready:

1. Produce one of the songs for radio and send out promo

2. Gather band and do some gigs.

3. Try to find manager/producer to "get me known"

4. If all else fails - gather money and give it out on my own label.

Hey Finn :D

That sounds familiar to me too! I started up my own label as I was fed up with constatly getting rejected by every label I approached - or being told my music was not radio friendly enough ;) (I'll take that as a compliment!!...) It was tuff to start with but we've learnt and got further than we ever thought we would - and now we're signing other artists! [smiley=acoustic.gif]

Good luck with everything - keep up all posted! [smiley=rockin.gif]

After calling most of the record companies I ended up taking only 2 days from work to do the last calling rounds, pack the stuff and just send it out instead of meeting them -- they weren't interested in that. I sent out 25 demos to different record companies in and around Oslo.

8 rejections so far :-[. But there's still a lot I haven't heard from. I'll do a telephone round after Xmas. I kinda got the impression that things were busy now before Xmas.

If I get no reaction, I've got plans ready:

1. Produce one of the songs for radio and send out promo

2. Gather band and do some gigs.

3. Try to find manager/producer to "get me known"

4. If all else fails - gather money and give it out on my own label.

To be honest you are lucky they responded at all.

Maybe I should write a new article on options, and strategies that artists could follow. As for a manager or producer, at this stage I wouldn't be too keen on giving away 10 - 20%.

Just a thought.

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...
No reply yet becuase Santa brought Finn a record contract and he is now on his world domination tour  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sadly not :D ... I have got some rejections and some returns (apparently bankrupt or something). I plan to do a call round after new-year. I'm guessing they have Christmas vacation now.

Sadly not :D ... I have got some rejections and some returns (apparently bankrupt or something). I plan to do a call round after new-year. I'm guessing they have Christmas vacation now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is bad news Finn! We were relying on you to hit the big time... Then I could interview you...

This is bad news Finn! We were relying on you to hit the big time... Then I could interview you...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, I'm not despairing. I've only just begun. First couple of weeks in January I'll do a call-around to the 18 record companies I haven't heard from. This album is going out if I'm gonna pay it out of my own pocket (or the bank, more likely). And you all will get a discount buying it directly from me :-) ...