Your Ad Could Be Here

Is using a capo cheating?

All of you who are guitarists, do you use a capo or do you change key by transposing?

If you use a capo, do you consider it cheating (because it is easier than transposing)?

And finally, what kind of capo do you use?

All of you who are guitarists, do you use a capo or do you change key by transposing?

If you use a capo, do you consider it cheating (because it is easier than transposing)?

And finally, what kind of capo do you use?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have just finised recording my acoustic album and this would not have been possible without a capo. what i love about the capo is that i get the 2nd acoustic player to play normal open chords i play them somewhere else on the neck using a capo.... makes a real nice blend.... some chords would not be feasable to play without the capo....... i dont think of it as cheating...

my capo

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/V...x?productId=509

Of course it's not cheating! Using a capo is just adjusting the scale length of the guitar. I don't often use a capo because I find them a little uncomfortable, but I did use one on my recently recorded song, 'Love lies Dying' (the original)

They do take a little getting used to, I don't think they are any more cheating than say, a 12 string.

Peace,

John

They do take a little getting used to, I don't think they are any more cheating than say, a 12 string.

Peace,

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kind do you use, John?

Mine's a Shubb but I like the look of those new-fangled ones that tim grover recommends.....

What kind do you use, John?

Mine's a Shubb but I like the look of those new-fangled ones that tim grover recommends.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it a pretty sturdy capo..... the reason i prefere those to the ties around ones is basically ease of use. when playing an acoustic gig it is coming on and off every other song and is very quick to apply.

Nothing is cheating. Do what you need to do to play what you want to play.

• 3 weeks later...
Well... I use Capo DiAstro.... (Not DiCaprio)

Anyway .... using a Capo is a matter of personal tastes ... IF YOU have real strong FINGERS you won't NEED a capo... BUT in some cases it helps, like you know the chords by heart, but you can't transpose  'em ... so you have to move the capo around... so you can play the chords in all those familiar places... now THAT IZ "Old School"!

Today: the kids can play ANY chord in ANY key on ANY part of the fretboard... so what You are gonna DO?

Release a "Guitar-Guide For Old-Timers"...?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, there are some things you just cannot do without a capo. Like a C#maj7 in the 1 band position. You could of course play it like a Amaj7 in the 4 fret position, but it just won't sound the same. So I wouldn't say it's a matter of convenience only but also very much a matter of sound.

I'll come clean. I once saw this topic on another board and thought it would be a good one to stir everyone up. I use a capo a lot and don't regard it as cheating. It does provide a short cut to knowing all the positions for all the chords though...but who cares?

I'll come clean. I once saw this topic on another board and thought it would be a good one to stir everyone up. I use a capo a lot and don't regard it as cheating. It does provide a short cut to knowing all the positions for all the chords though...but who cares?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You naughty, naughty man you :P:P:P

Hey, I just ask the questions... I don't necessarily agree with them! :D

Next: 'Is Rap the antichrist?'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, antichrist is pretty irrelevant for us, being atheists ;D

Well, antichrist is pretty irrelevant for us, being atheists  ;D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but metaphorically....

Despite being an atheist, I use quite a lot of religious imagery in my lyrics, becuase those ideas are in the language... ;)

My guitar teacher said to me (a lot of years ago) that a capo is for "unprofessionals" so I learned to play without it, now I think that that's bullsh*t, but now for me is very uncomfortable to play with one. we can do whatever we need in order to get what we want. "il fine giustifica i mezzi".

My guitar teacher said to me (a lot of years ago) that a capo is for "unprofessionals" so I learned to play without it, now I think that that's bullsh*t, but now for me is very uncomfortable to play with one. we can do whatever we need in order to get what we want. "il fine giustifica i mezzi".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll bet that was the englishman (the devil) - you should really get hold of some Dolby .... or Hackett ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vedo che parli bene anche l'italiano, hariossa... :P