Your Ad Could Be Here

Aaba

I've written a song that uses the AABA structure. I think my song is pretty good and could be a hit for a singer. (I am not a performer.) In reading up on today's music I find out that it's all verse-chorus-verse-chorus. I like the song the way it is and I don't think it can be converted. Should I just file it away until the wind shifts?

I don't think today's music is necessarily all VCVC. ;) A lot depends on the genre. Though used in the past perhaps more often for theatre/musicals, the AABA format has had a place in more contemporary songs as well. Besides, there's a certain amount of leeway in the structure. It doesn't need to follow the hook/title-in-the-first-and/or-last-line format. And you can extend it as well to AABABA, ad infinitum. Perhaps a distinguishing characteristic is that the AABA format is generally an expression of one moment's feeling. Hence - as I understand it - the time frame, the viewpoint, and the setting in the A sections remain unchanged, while the bridge can go in a number of directions in contrast to the verses.

If you feel the song is good, why not see whether you can place it somewhere. It might find a niche in the film/tv genre, for instance, where songs generally need to be more generic/universal, and deal with emotions in a current situation rather than tell the kind of forward-moving story one most often finds in the VCVCBC format.

Perhaps post the song in the Song Critiques section so that people can comment.

Donna

Edited by DonnaMarilyn

I agree with Donna. there are also a fair number of songs that are described as verse chorus verse chorus bridge verse chorus, that are more correctly AABA incorporating a refrain.

As one of the site staff I checked your settings and fixed them, you should now receive notifications.

You had selected to be notified, but not selected the notification type (which is event specific)

If you consider it complete with the current structure don't alter it. If it sounds good with the AABA structure then no one will care about the structure. If you can write a song with an ABABACDABACDC structure that sounds good (though it seems like it would rival Genesis' Supper's Ready in terms of length) no one will care that it doesn't adhere to the ABAB structure.

• Like 1

A very good point 3B