Your Ad Could Be Here

Why Are None Of My Lyrics Getting Any Critque?

I figured this was the right place to post this.

But i wonder why my lyrics (even with tags) arent getting much attention. Like My Puppy or No Time For Forgiveness for example, it gets some views but zero replies. I'm not trying to put anyone down but I feel my time is being wasted when no one drops a line on them. Sure they're not necessarily rainbows and sunshine but they're something.

Anyone have any insight on this?

i know i enjoy spending time reading the lyrics in the critique section, but I rarely comment because while I enjoy reading them I find that I never really have much constructive to say. I mean, yeah I could go in and comment on someones lyrics saying"I hate the rhyme scheme in the second verse", but that's not a particularly useful comment. Maybe if you pointed out particular areas in the lyrics you wanted comments on?

While I'm good at writing lyrics, I dont fully know all the mumbo jumbo that comes with writing lyrics. Thats why I cant give full blown critques myself.

Perhaps, but you learn and develop your own editing skills by giving critique. Have a look at this post and the article and other post that it links to: http://forums.songst...ailed-critique/

The point is you learn to Observe, Analyse, Suggest AND Discuss

A critique is not a simple comment. It is foremost a discussion about the merits of a song.

We all had to start somewhere and every single member who DOES post critiques could have used the excuse of not knowing all the mumbo jumbo (to themselves and others). If you are not trying to do critique yourself, or only offering simple "I like it" or "I don't like it" type comments members will simply think you can't be bothered or are paying lip service to critiques and the notion of taking time to critique the work of others as only fair... and if that is their impression the common reaction is, if he can't be bothered, why should I?

It's not simply about liking or not liking. there are plenty of songs that aren't my taste, however saying that something is well converyed, or I struggled following a lyric or the message seemed confused etc is nothing to do with liking... it's about understanding and sooooo much more.

The point of offering critique is that YOU are the one that gains the most. You learn to exercise skills that you can use both during the draft phase and the edit phase when working on your own lyrics, and you learn and hone these skills while having no emotional investment in the work being critiqued as it is not your own. That can really help when it comes to making more sweeping changes for the benefit of the song that you would otherwise not make because of your own emotional attachents to detail in what you have already written. Collectively that is a huge benefit to Songwriters... PLUS you get to both help someone else and learn from them at the same time.

If you don't offer critique, if you don't at least attempt to engage with members on their work, saddly it is you that will lose out both in not learning from offering critique, and the lack of critique of your own work. It is not a one way street... that is just human nature and no amount of what might seem to others as complaining that you deserve special consideration will change that fact. It's just the way it is.

I can only encourage you and point you in the right direction. I hope this helps.

I should also say, I completely understand either being nervous, feeling underskilled, or simply judged. I get that it isn't comfortable. Unfortunately much of being a writer or an artist will put you in that place. The spot light shines on YOU, and you feel judged. It goes with the territory. We cannot hope for acclaim without openning ourselves up to the possibility of people liking or not liking.

As I mentioned above, critique is not simply like or not like, and it is far, far harder and will take far, far longer if you try to learn from the sidelines.

The point is, it's not half as scarey as it seems once you get started. The more you put into it, the more you will benefit.

The drawback of giving critique?

1. It takes a little time out of your day.
  2. You offer a critique to someone who takes it peronally. ie they think you have critiqued them, not the song
  3. At first it seems a little uncomfortable

That is literally it.

The benefits?

1. Your songwriting will benefit
  2. Your songwriting skills will improve across the board
  3. You will improve far faster than a writer who only works on their own
  4. You gain experience writing in genres outside your comfort zone and learn from people who do write that genre
  5. You learn to make songs with broader appeal, that are more memorable
  6. You learn how to convey exactly what you meant and gain an insight into how it could be received
  7. Your observation improves hugely
  8. Your analysis skills improve hugely
  9. You build a far larger assortment of possible solutions you can offer
  10. You learn to work faster and more efficiently, arriving at a genuinely completed song with less songs that are never finished
  11. and more...

PLUS

1. Members see you taking part
  2. Members see you reciporicate their efforts
  3. Members help you
  4. You make friends (you do use that feature don't you?)
  5. You build a good reputation amongst your peers
  6. It makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside

Hopefully you take all this in a constructive way and hopefully you will see benefits a lot sooner.

Cheers

John