Your Ad Could Be Here

Should I Try Out For X Factor?

So, I've been thinking a lot lately, and I've wanted to do this for a long, long time. I really want to try out for the X Factor. I would do it online, and I already know what I would probably sing. (attached) I would like to know the possible risks as well as the possible benefits of trying out. Please let me know what you think, I need to know how big of a chance I might have to make it. Thank you so much for your time.

I've not had a chance to listen to your track yet so I couldn't judge at all on your singing ability but I've got a few thoughts on how effective talent tv shows are in launching your career. I'm sure other people on this forum will have other and much better insights, so what I'm saying is pretty much just from personal belief rather than experience. Also, I'm sorry if this is all stuff you've heard before.

I think at the heart of the point I want to make is that you need to ask not if you can do it and make it to the end of the competition, but what it is exactly that you want from your talents and what it means to achieve your musical goals. Do you want respect or short-lived notoriety and even potential public hatred? I've no doubt that you're most likely a lovely person but people are cruel when others are put on a platform for them to judge, even if they're very nice people.

There have been quite a few years where I've followed X Factor through and through so I'm not a complete cynic who scoffs condescendingly at the sidelines, having not watched the show at all but reacts mostly to the public response or tabloid portrayal. Whilst I've often enjoyed the show and been amazed at some of the singing talent amongst contestants, I can't help but notice that all in all, the public exposure and attention-span towards these talented people is very short. Very few people have gotten to the end of X Factor or Where-evers Got Talent and 5 or even 3 years later still been of interest to the general public.

You might not mind not being in the public eye constantly or being in the charts every few weeks. Even so it seems trends see even the most successful participants (and not necessarily final winners) of these talent shows never heard of again within about a year. Except at University fresher balls or low-key ribbon-cutting events where the attendants laugh and judge at how they're stuck doing these gigs to keep their name alive in the fame-books (those examples were fairly cynical and may not really be representative of reality).

It's a hare and tortoise situation. Success in X Factor means a fast track road to benefits and fame that actually might not turn into what you want. And with each passing day you'll wonder why people are forgetting you and it might be very difficult to handle. On the other hand, if you play the tortoise and work hard and patiently at your art, you'll be a lot more in control in where you end up and the reputation that you build. Going on X Factor throws you into a spotlight where everyone nationally and sometimes globally judges you and you can't erase that sort of exposure.

Long rambly post, I'm sorry. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think it's worth it. If you're genuinely talented and you learn how to play the slow game then your benefits will be a lot better than if you try to make it all happen at once. Global attention might be your aim but it won't last long and that might hurt you a lot. So evaluate what you want from your talents and you should find your answer!

• 3 weeks later...

Those TV talent shows are pretty much a shortcut in an industry with no shortcuts. Look at the long running successful performers. B.B. King, Genesis, Metallica, Rush, those people paid their dues. They started out in garages, worked up to bars, worked their way into the studio, building up a fan base along the way. It took them a while but they earned their fans, people who like the music, not the fact that they were just the flavor of the week.

How many American Idol winners can you name? The only one I even hear anything out of these days is Kelly Clarkson. You ever hear of Jake Simpson? He was a big name back when he won Star Search. Now few people even recognize the name. In fact, I had to google him to remember and his home town is just a 12 mile drive from my house.

Those talent competitions might get you a fan base pretty fast if you get on and make it past the first show but those fans tend to be rather fickle with short attention spans. They might like you because you're the underdog or that season's big thing, but it won't take long before only a few people even remember your name.

If you want 15 minutes of fame, something that's becoming increasingly more literal these days, then X-Factor might work if you get on. However, if you want to get anywhere in the music business you'll need to take the old fashioned, work for your fan base approach.

I've taken the optimistic approach in assuming that you'll get on, but the odds are against that. All of those auditions, and while it is skill based it's still like playing the lottery.

I've also been assuming that you want to make a career out of music. If that assumption is incorrect and you just want to see if you can get on and how far you can make it if you do then go for it. Just don't expect anything to come from it after this season.

So, I've been thinking a lot lately, and I've wanted to do this for a long, long time. I really want to try out for the X Factor. I would do it online, and I already know what I would probably sing. (attached) I would like to know the possible risks as well as the possible benefits of trying out. Please let me know what you think, I need to know how big of a chance I might have to make it. Thank you so much for your time.

You could, but often they judge you on looks and if you can sing the style they want you to sing, like a cover from Jason Aldeen and people like that. I'm not saying you couldnt make it, but its a long shot like anything else. I thought a long time ago about maybe going on Idol but I'm sure they wouldnt let me sing something from Marilyn Manson or System Of A Down. You can try though and try getting through the gatekeepers of accepting your video submission but unless youre willing to sing a Bieber song its risky. Ive seen these shows. Theyre very picky.

Derik

The singer in my band tried out for X-Factor.

He sang a couple of songs and asked our opinion. We gave our opinion and wished him luck.

He fluffed it and didnt get past the first audition.

I have never watched the show. From the little Ive seen looks like it belongs in a Roman Area.

They only want fighters with a few unwitting clowns thrown in for contrast.

The feller with the lav-brush haircut obvious only wants to perpetuate the same endless stream of ubiquitous s#*t that has throttled the life out of any real creative expression in popular music.

Go for it.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...