Your Ad Could Be Here

Crosslinking

For those of you with your own websites - let's crosslink. This will help our Google ranking since we link to "related" pages. A tip: define some words you want to score high on, and try to write a descriptive sentence using those words to link to your page.

Linking to me, please use: "Finn Arild - melodic pop/rock music with progressive roots"

... I'm going for a high score on "progressive" :) ...

For those of you with your own websites - let's crosslink. This will help our Google ranking since we link to "related" pages. A tip: define some words you want to score high on, and try to write a descriptive sentence using those words to link to your page.

Linking to me, please use: "Finn Arild makes melodic pop/rock music with progressive roots"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Finn

Will this work if I link to my ic-musicmedia page? It's not really 'my own site' just a page on a hosted site.

And, if it does, what exactly do I need to do. You are talking to a novice here.... ;)

Finn

Will this work if I link to my ic-musicmedia page? It's not really 'my own site' just a page on a hosted site.

And, if it does, what exactly do I need to do. You are talking to a novice here.... ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm ... I think hosted sites will have much the same effect. At any rate, you get one more link into your music page. What's the url, and how should I describe your page? Do you know how to set up links on that page?

Hey

It's a great idea Finn. That's why, in the site members area, I ask members with other sites and pages to link to their Songstuff page.

Basically it's simple. Here's some guidelines:

1. If you have sites, or pages on sites, cross link. This means that each site you have should link to every other site you have.

2. You should add links to your sites on each forum you post on. The easiest way to do this is to add the links to your forum signature as this is attached to every post.

3. Link text should be meaningful, and related to the page content, and hopefully the URL.

4. If you can affect your page description and keywords, some search engines use these for ranking, these should also contain some targeted link words. (btw your artist name and location are used in the Songstuff artist page, and your artist description is basically your artist description is used as the description for the search engines).

5. If your really want to got to town, use targeted keywords in your site/page keywords, title and text. Get lists of the most popular search terms, and insert the most popular terms that apply to you and your page.

6. To target Google specifically, Google Page Rank measures relevancy. It scans pages for target phrases, keywords etc. It checks for frequency of the words and phrases on your page, and your site. This includes link text, urls, and image "Alt" text. It weights occurances at the top and bottom of a page more than those found in the middle, and other weightings too (for urls, images etc). It calculates the Keyword Density for each word, ie. if the word music occurs 5 times in a text of 1000 words, your keyword density for Music is 0.5%. If it is 5 in 100, that's 5%. A high keyword density is desirable for your targeted keywords. All this gives an value for each word and phrase. It compares these values with other sites you link to (outgoing links) and who link to you (incoming links). It checks for the occurance of the main keywords and phrases on your site, with those on the incoming and outgoing links. It also counts the number of incoming and outgoing links. Google then uses all these figures (especially the incoming links) to assign your pages a Page Rank. All these figures (and more I'm sure) determine your position in Search Results. This full process, known as the Google Dance, happens about every 3 months. Depending on your site popularity, Google will visit your site every few days to recalculate your individual page keyword occurances, and pick up new pages. New values are then used to adjust the values calculated during the Google Dance.

Alistair, you should think about promoting your Songstuff page too. Songstuff has a higher site ranking than either IC or Ampcast, and it's rising too! If you have set up your Song links properly, they should transparently play your tracks on IC, without them even visiting your IC page. The plays will still count towards your plays, and the charts.

I hope this helps!

Cheers

John

Basically it's simple. Here's some guidelines:

<snip>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great post, John.

Great post, John.

Thanks Finn.

:)

So what sort of things do you do as a webmaster? It means different roles and responsibilities with different companies.

Cheers

John

So what sort of things do you do as a webmaster? It means different roles and responsibilities with different companies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've basically been doing it all from setting up the server to making the pages in php/xslt/xml. Now we're probably buying some CMS so I'll be less involved in the hands-on. Don't know if I quite like it, but hell ... I wanna do music stuff anyway.

For those of you with your own websites - let's crosslink.

Linking to me, please use: "Finn Arild makes melodic pop/rock music with progressive roots"

Hi Finn,

I just added two links (because I do everything in two languages) to your website on mine:

http://didier.elo.free.fr/liens.html#groupes, French one

http://didier.elo.free.fr/liens_e.html#groupes, English one

I just got rid of the "makes" in your text, seemed odd in a link. You're not targeting a high score on "makes", I guess :)

I hope it will help.

If you want to return the favor, please link to the URL:

http://didier.elo.free.fr/index_e.html

As for the text, just put "French rock band Didier et les Ombres".

Didier

If you want to return the favor, please link to the URL:

http://didier.elo.free.fr/index_e.html

As for the text, just put "French rock band Didier et les Ombres".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So done. Thank you :)

Finn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alistair, I linked you up anyhow. Since you are such a cool dude and make such great lyrics and music. If you find out how to set up a link back again, feel free to do so, but no sweat.

Alistair, I linked you up anyhow. Since you are such a cool dude and make such great lyrics and music. If you find out how to set up a link back again, feel free to do so, but no sweat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, thank you Finn. I certainly will, it just takes me a little longer to figure out than some people! :D

I've only just got all my songs linked through Songstuff!

Alistair

You're welcome  :)

By the way, it seems we share common values in web design: simple, up to the point, and standards compliant.

Didier

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... also known as "the right way" :)

this cross linking does this work the if you search the word progressive you want it to find your site????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well google checks not only the target pages, but also links to those pages. There are several pages on the net covering this subject. (A lot of them conflicting on the details, though).

Here's some useful links:

http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/

http://northernwebs.com/set/

http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/google.shtml

Hey guys, what do I need to do to convince you? I know many of you have your own websites. Help me help you!

• 2 weeks later...

Google PagerRank in Google's own words:

"PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search. Of course, important pages mean nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query."

Cheers

John

• 4 months later...

ahum - *bump*

ahum - *bump*

Well bumped Finn!

btw, I noticed that your Songstuff page shows as the highest result when you search for Finn Arild!

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...en&q=Finn+Arild

[smiley=thumb.gif]

Cheers

John

Hey Finn

I've added a link to your site on my own artist page:

http://www.johnmoxey.com

Cheers

John