Your Ad Could Be Here

I do all the time. When I go down the random path I never come back and nothing gets done...When you have a plan you can focus more on what needs to be done next as opposed to what do I want to do now.

My process is similar, in that I prefer to take a more methodical approach. There’s a series of steps that get me consistent results, so I stick with what works. Everybody’s process is different. What works for me might not work for somebody else, and vice versa. Mine tends to go like this:

1. Write lyrics. Experiment with different accents and rhythms to see if they flow, if words need to be cut, or moved around. Adjust accordingly.

2. Sit at an instrument and come up with chord progressions.

3. Play around with intervals on top of the chords until a melody forms. (This is where I find my rudimentary knowledge of music theory and scales comes in handy.) Keep changing stuff around until I’m satisfied.

That said…I’d say melody writing is probably the hardest thing to describe to someone how to do (as opposed to chords, rhythm, etc.), because I think a lot of it comes down to instinct, rather than technique. I wouldn’t be able to describe in technical detail what makes a good melody…I just know what sounds right to me. I think most songwriters are the same way. Most people just naturally get a feel for what works, based on hearing hundreds of songs over their lifetime.

Edited by gradual

• 1 month later...

I usually start singing with guitar, I have some kind of riff going and then try singing with it. I don't have much problem with melody that way, something comes up and I change it up until I like the outcome. Kinda similar approach as finding riff on the guitar. Sometimes I write lyrics as I sing with the music, otherwise I write lyrics first and then I either have an idea of how I want to sing it or more often I just use the lyrics I have with some music that I've written.

Hey your are multi-talented ,you are a singer,composer and lyricist too...It just wowwww for me :drool: .keep it up...... :rockin:

Typically I'll write the vocal melody first on piano.

However, sometimes it doesn't work.   In that case, once I have backing music and lyrics I like but I'm groping for a lead line what I'll often to is play the music over and over again and sing the lyric over and over again, finding something I like eventually.  It's worked really well for me.

• 3 weeks later...

First the guitar will come into mind then normally the lyrics.  Sometimes it keeps me up at night.  I wouldn't say that it is a really planned out process.  It is almost always evoked by some emotion.  Here is a link to my last song if you would like to know what I sound like. 

What's really been helping me is write some lyrics down. When I come upon a phrase that really resonates, I put on a metronome and just start singing. Then I build around the melody I have.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to ask, what are your favourite melodies? There are classics that we all love but some just cut right thru to the heart. I suggest you try to study those ones the hardest until you understand them inside out. If music is a garden, melodies are the flowers.

• 3 months later...

Hi

I choose an extraordinary melody that was written in the past analyze it with mathematical approach by comparing it to other melodies with the same character and then write my piece based on all the melodies that were involved.

I don't do it with closed form computer program but I do it more or less like a computer program would do it if i could create such a program(i am not a programer).

My advice to you is just listen to an extra ordinary melody many times and after you know it by heart try to write your piece.
Also try to play that melody on a pino and start it with a key that give you maximum white notes,when you do it for several melodies with same character you make normalization for them and then you will start to see  common  patterns that appears in them ,then try to use them in your melody.

Here is an example for a melody that I composed based on several Italian Sicilian melodies by Ennio moriicone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWvgd2A4BWU

And here is one of  the melodies that was anlized by me to create my melody

Thanks

What's really been helping me is write some lyrics down. When I come upon a phrase that really resonates, I put on a metronome and just start singing. Then I build around the melody I have.

I hate metronomes. I can’t ignore the sound of them and they dash my ideas to pieces.

Also they have a tick-tock structure that messes up any chance of imagining a time signature that is not evenly devisable. How could you write a waltz that way?

(ok, ok I hav’nt written any waltzes but maybe that’s why there are no new ones? It all the fault of those damned metronomes). They are ok for polkas I suppose.

Another thing to try is to sing everything you do. In your head when your out in public. Are you at the store and getting ready to check out? Sing in your head "I hate waiting in lines to check out." Looking for a parking space? Sing "Where the hells a parking space". Obviously you don't do it for every thought you have, but do it a lot and do it often. I believe doing that practice all the time helps when the time comes to actually put a melody to something. 

• Like 1

Like the above poster mentioned starting with your chord progression and just start subtracting layers of the chords in your piano roll if you are using a daw. If you stay within key of your song and equate the tempo/spacing of your melody you can almost never go wrong.

• 3 months later...

Most of the time I have no problem with melody. For those times I do I create a quick recording using any sequencer, and go to the scales. I find I have luck in the Minor harmonic scales or the minor pentatonic scales. I take the first two notes in the scale to start with. Then replace the third note with the forth, fifth, sixth until something stands out. Try starting in the next scales mode and repeat.  For example 1st 2nd 3rd, 1st 2nd 4th, 1st 2nd 5th note. I hope this helps

Brian