Your Ad Could Be Here

Do you use a metronome?

I hate mechanical beeps. Especially if the beep is not in tune or even in key with what I'm doing. I find a simple soft kick, snare or side stick a lot more bearable.  I won't put it on all the beats.  It depends on the song but usually it's either One and Three or Two and four.

A beep is just what I have very easy access to.  But I do find that it's helpful by sounding distinctly unnatural.  It is played very, very softly, it's mostly white noise, it's a pulse and it has no rough edges.  But, even so, that's exactly what makes it stand out, if and when you want to focus your attention on it, while also making it something that you can absolutely tune-out.  It isn't part of the material, and it doesn't sound like it should be.  It's just a common point-of-reference that everyone heard.  You can focus on it, or fuhgeddaboudit.

Give the singer a little phone-mixer box with knobs on it, one of them "click."  Let them turn it up or turn it off as they please.

Edited by MikeRobinson

When it comes to a solo, piano or guitar, I usually have a drum track playing in the back ground. After recording, I switch the drum track and there's my solo