Your Ad Could Be Here

How Can I Be A One Man Band? + Recording Studio + Introduction

Hi everybody.

First off I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Oli and I'm 20 years old. I'm not from an English speaking country, so bare with me. I quit school and my part time job a year ago to focus solely on music. Sadly I haven't been as succesful as I hoped. Mostly, I guess, because of my lack of discipline. This whole year I haven't made more than 4 crappy demo tracks. I've become too distracted with other things. Mostly video games.

You see, when this project of mine started I moved from my father to my mother. My father was very strict and I never had freedom to do what I wanted, like music and games. So when I moved to my mother I had a lot more freedom, and she also gave me a place to live without me having to pay for it (I know I'm very lucky, but trust me, when I make it big I will pay her everything back). Anyway now as I had freedom to do it, and no school or work, I started playing video games. A lot. I wasted most of this year on them. Occasionally I focused on the music, but I always got demotivated for something and went back hiding in virtual worlds. I'm finally sick of playing video games, and the spark for playing music has come back to me.

I'm going to be much more disciplined now, but I've also realized that improving my workspace is vital

This is what I've got right now that's not working:

• A small desk.

• A computer with FL Studio installed.

• A USB audio interface with only one input (Line 6 GX http://line6.com/podstudiogx/ )

• A midi keyboard (M-Audio KeyRig 49)

• A few electric guitars

• A drum machine (Zoom RhythmTrak RT-123)

• A microphone (Shure SM58)

My goal is to be signed by a record label and play live giggs. And of course make money from the music in the end. But I'm just one person. I need to be able to practice whenever I want and make exactly the music I want, so right now a band wont work for me.

So far what I've been doing has been recording the music to the computer. The problem is 1. I can't play this music live, which I figure is quite important for playing live giggs. And 2. It's a lot of hassle every time I want to record. My audio interface has only one input so I always have to swap connections between instruments. Also I don't have enough space on my desk for all the equipment to permanently be there.

So I guess I have two questions, one short and one long

1. I can recreate all my music in a studio, but I cannot play it live at the moment since I am just one person. Is it necessary to be able to play my music live to get a record deal and make money from my music?

I assume I do have to be able to play it live, this is kind of what I'd like to as well. So that leaves me with the big question.

2. How can I become a one man band?

I need an answer for everything from what kind of recording machine I should use (PC, Mac... Are there any other, better alternatives? I'm clueless!), what audio interface to use, to what kind of desk set up I should have.

This is how I want it to be at home while practicing and making music:

I want everything to be set up and ready to go. If I want to start playing I can just flick a switch and start playing. I need some kind of device that can playback loops from all my instruments, so I can play live. And I also want to be able to just hit a big «RECORD» button if I want to record everything to my computer or whatever it may be. Besides ease of access the most important thing is of course audio quality.

Instruments I will use:

• Guitar

• Vocal

• Drum Machine

• Keyboard/Synth?

• Bass

(Might add more in the future)

I do not expect you to set up my whole workspace (would be nice though!), but I just don't know where to start? Where can I learn stuff like this? I'm willing to spend all of the money I have left from my previous part time jobs ($7000) if necessary to set up a perfect work space for me. If anyone can point me in the right direction or give me any tips on how to set this up (I'm truly clueless), I would appreciate it so much.

Thank you.

To be honest more equipment doesn't always equate to being a better one man band.  I've seen guys with only a piano or guitar outpace/write/perform even the best equiped.

This guy - http://www.youtube.com/user/podline66?feature=watch

has over 900 songs on youtube and usually just accompanies himself with just one instrument.

Don't wait till someday.  Start writing and recording today.  Give yourself a critical review of your performance and use it as a tool to play better.  Pat yourself on the back for what you have done.

Most one man band performers that I know of either perform with a single instrument or add backing tracks to support them for a few tunes.  This is especially true for duets.  Where they may run a midi file or backing track in the background to fill up the sound a little.  You don't have to do it all and the strength of your melody is more important then other aspects.

I know more equipment doesn't always equate to being a better one man band. I know it doesn't. I haven't said I need the best quality equipment, but I know what I want to be able to do, and what I said was I'll pay up to $7000 to get the equipment needed to do what I want. Let me try to explain better:

I want some kind of playback device. A looper. Or whatever it is called. So that I can be my own backing. And play it all live. (I've always felt people who use backing tracks "cheat".) I want to be able to play all these instruments without having to rewire anything. And just layer loops on top of each other with some kind of pedal. I also want all these instruments to be plugged into some kind of audio interface / mixer so that I can just hit a record button to record everything to my computer or whatever it may be. 

You're saying I don't need any of this. Maybe you're right, but that's not what I'm asking :) I've seen several other people with loopers and admire them greatly. I want to be like them. Search for Jarle Bernhoft on Youtube for example. I want to have the ability to do the same as him, but also be able to record it all to the computer. 

If you have any idea where I can learn to set up something like this I'm explaining, that would be great. Or if you have any tips of your own. Thanks for your reply !

A looper is as much a "cheat" as a backing track. And they often have an annoying delay

In the studio Jimi Hendrix would often record his leads, separately from his vocals and chord changes.  Live he'd  never hire a second guitarist to play the chords or the solo's.  Instead he would prioritize which one was more important at the time.  Many "Soloist" guitarists/keyboardist do the same thing.

My only advice would be not to make arrangments that are bigger then you or find a fellow musician to duo with.

A looper can't really be compared to a backing track. When you use a looper you record everything live as opposed to a backing track where it is pre-recorded. If you think loopers are a cheat, that's fine, but it's not the same as using a backing track. In my opinion people who master loopers are extremely skillful. It requires a lot of rhythm/timing and ability to multitask to do. I do not know what kind of bad quality loopers you have tested before since you've had trouble with delay. I've never experienced that.

I'm sure Jimi Hendrix would have loved experimenting with a looping pedal if they existed when he was alive. 

Anyway, I think you must have misunderstood me because I never asked if this is something I should do. I asked how I could do something like it, because it is what I want. You're basically just telling me not to do it. Thank you for your concern, but if you can't answer my questions or point me in the right direction, then I'm not really interested. 

Well,  It reads to me like you already have the plan,  The rest is just hard work to make it a reality.

Oli

What you are really asking is

'how do I realize my plan?'

Mike is trying to help by suggesting you step back and take a harder look at your plan.

It much easier for you to check out what you are asking for than anyone esle.

It sounds like you are expecting someone else to do your research for you and hand to you on a tray.

Like you said, I'm not really interested.

Not sure where this hostility is coming from. I'm not expecting anything really, but I hoped someone could tell me how and where to start my research, because I've never done anything like this before.

I do not expect you to set up my whole workspace (would be nice though!), but I just don't know where to start? Where can I learn stuff like this? I'm willing to spend all of the money I have left from my previous part time jobs ($7000) if necessary to set up a perfect work space for me. If anyone can point me in the right direction or give me any tips on how to set this up (I'm truly clueless), I would appreciate it so much.

Edited by oli123

Plain speaking is not hostility Oli.

Of course it can be taken that way, but all I did was to hold up a mirror.

With John & Mike's advice you have some solid information.

Good luck with your plan.

...here's The Master!

That's live.... One man with an incredible voice, one accoustic guitar, one cheap drum machine, and a tape delay (or a 'looper' as you call it... no doubt HoboSage's suggested device will do the same but better (since JM's is just doing a long delay))...plus some effects pedals/Volume pedal....

Don't need much! But a lot of talent...hard work...and a good dose of luck, to get signed.

Good luck. Post some stuff in the song critique section when you have it...I'd love to hear.

Edited by MonoStone

You've got the cash, that's cool. You're finally determined, that's even more important. What you need to do now is to learn! Take your time, go to Youtube and watch all (and I mean all) the home-studio related videos. (That's what I did...) You can't setup an ideal home studio without knowing what your dream home studio would look like.

First go watch this video and then go on reading.. :)

You have to choose:

1. a computer

2. a DAW

3. an Interface

4. a Mic

5. Monitors

and (6) you have to build a comfortable workstation!

1. I'd go with PC just because it's more powerful for the same price!

2. You can go on using FL, but I don't recommend it, you'll quickly find it's limitations...

3. Your current interface needs to go, look into it, get something decent, I totally recommend the older M-audio interfaces with two line ins and to mic pre-amps.

4. You've got an SM58 that's great use it for live, mic up guitar amps whatever, but for recording vocals, you'll need a large-diaphragm condenser mic, you heard the guy, don't go crazy, get something nice for $100-$200... (The RODE mics are dope)

5. If you can afford it get both headphones and monitors, helps a lot to have both. For headphones I recommend the AKG, Shure, the Sennheisers are nice too. For monitors I'd go with the krk rokit 6, (the 5s don't really have a decent low-end) or you can also get great M-audio or Yamaha, maybe RCF monitors. (Don't go cheap with monitors, you really wanna get a nice pair that you can use for years!)

6. Get a nice desk, hang some acoustic foam panels on the walls, get good mic-stands, a guitar rack maybe, good quality cables etc.. (spend a little money on making your studio comfortable...)

And the last but not least, make great songs, have fun, do what you like to do! Put together a few songs, try to find some guys for your band play some local gig. (btw you totally don't need a label to get money)

Almost forgot, you've go $7000 DON'T BLOW IT!

Edited by JackHalkabar