Your Ad Could Be Here

I Want To Learn Guitar

I actually mainly learned online. if you have a guitar, look up how to tune, then look up the basic chords like G, E, D, and C. Then if you go on youtube and search on tutorials on how to play a specific song they will show you not only the chords and strumming patterns but also how to play the chords if there is any chords you do not know at that point. I would suggest getting to know the basics first, though, by again searching on youtube the basics of playing the guitar. when I initially learned last summer, I did have a teacher for a week that taught me my first chords, how to tune, and how to strum correctly. After that first week I taught myself everything and I guess I'm not too shabby!

I hope I could help just a little!

Mary

• 2 months later...

Go to many live concerts watch the people there play and steal everything you can. That is how arlo guthrie learned.

I find that hard to understand.

I think its difficult to know what someone is playing by watching unless is is very basic.

Arlo didn't have to go anywhere to learn guitar.  According to his bio on his website, at home he had his dad and all his dad's famous musician friends to learn from, and he was performing publicly himself at age 13.  http://www.arlo.net/

I heard arlo on xm the village say that to improve his playing he snuck in to clubs underage and watched  the performers play there and stole all he could., and if there was lick / chord or something else he didn't understand he would go backstage and ask and most of the players would be more than happy to show him.

• 3 months later...

You can use fingernails. Its a lot more difficult though.

You can also try the soft edge of your thumb, but this is only used for a softer muted sound. Not for general strumming because you lose volume and the top end.

That's the thing. I can do it with my fingernails but i don't really like the sound...it's too sharp? If i were to use the soft edge of my thumb to come down, what do i use to come up? which part or finger?

The thumb edge is ok for both up & down strokes. It wont take long to get calluses though.

re: The 'sharp' sound from fingernails. Have you tried strumming further down the neck? (over the upper frets). It will sound more bass-ish and you will lose the harshness of the sound.

The thumb edge is ok for both up & down strokes. It wont take long to get calluses though.

re: The 'sharp' sound from fingernails. Have you tried strumming further down the neck? (over the upper frets). It will sound more bass-ish and you will lose the harshness of the sound.

Thumb edge as in the flesh, right? Right now, i have got my fingers in a a sort of "ok, super mario position)

Edited by cloud90

Thumb edge as in the flesh, right? Right now, i have got my fingers in a a sort of "ok, super mario position)

I dont know what that is.

The firm side of the thumb next to the nail. If you are right handed, you can look down at your thumbnail (plan view) and the contact portion is closest to the strings.

Pretend you are wearing a thumbpick, and you will have it right.

BTW, thumbpicks are no good for strumming. The upstroke will pull it out of position, and very likely right off the thumb.

I've nothing to add, except the obvious question......why are you dead set against the time-tested, tried and true method of using a pick?

What specifically don't you like about picks? Maybe a simple solution to your dilemma.

Tom

haha, well it's because i just wanna be able to play if a situation arose where a pick was not available. I haven't got anything against picks 

Hey, Cloud90:  Are you talking about acoustic?  I never EVER use a pick, and I strum a lot, much of it quite aggressively.

Sometimes I use just my thumb, and nothing else.  To get more articulation of notes within strums and a bit more power, I'll use a combination of my thumb and index finger - putting them together like I'm holding a pick (though I'm not)  - and "picking" strings with my index finger while I also front and back strum with my thumb, and/or palm mute.  And, for the big power hits I'll whack at the strings by swiping them hard with my four fingers (no thumb).  FWIW, I think I use all three styles in this tune.  You can probably hear where I change technique.

https://soundcloud.com/hobosage/47dlu1rvilk1  

For example, the start to 0:48 is all thumb strumming, the thumb/index does the chorus, and then the big hit with all four fingers does the two quick tacits and the final big power chord to end the first chorus.  Starting the second verse with a thumb strummed intro but then kicking it up in power with the thumb/index technique when I started singing is my fave part of playing this tune.  It's almost like I can hear the bass the drums kick in and join me.  Okay.  I might be a bit delusional.   :)

I highly recommend you ditch the flat pick playing an acoustic, because (1) you'll never have to worry about dropping a pick - especially in the damn sound hole; (2) you will rarely break a string no matter how hard you bang them, because you're hitting them with soft flesh and not sawing at them with thin piece of hard plastic; (3), you can do just about anything with a thumb/index technique that you can do with a flat pick, plus you can do a whole lot more with different hand/finger techniques that you'll never be able to do with a flat pick; and, (4) you'll be in direct contact with the strings; don't underestimate how that intimacy with the strings will improve your playing, I think it's improved mine immensely.  It's true that your strumming hand and fingers will take a bit of a beating.  But, hey, art is suffering.  And, no pain - no gain.   :)

David

Hey, Thanks for the reply! Yeah, i have an acoustic. See, i have been thinking of using my hand in that position (as if i'm holding a pic but i'm not). So when your hand is in that position, do you go down the strings with the nail of the thumb or with the flesh of the side of the thumb? And vice versa for the index finger when coming up?I keep getting a loud buzzy noise from which is caused by the nail's hitting the strings as i strum 

Edited by cloud90