Your Ad Could Be Here

Any Web Gurus With Nothing To Do?

Kel

I've given up!

I've spent hours and hours and bloody hours this last week trying to get a web site up but I've nothing to show for it.

I've tried all sorts of html editors, WYSIWYG editors, online and offline editors. And I'm sick and tired of being able to do some things with this one, but needing to do this thing with another one, and something else with yet another.

I already have a domain but there's nothing there yet..

HELP

Don't bother telling me how easy it is, I don't want to know. I have certain things I want to do, and I just can't do them. Even a one pager that does all I want will be great.

If you can help me out, let me know and we'll talk about it off thread.

Thanks

Kel

www.kelabbmusic.com  but don't go there it isn't active!

Hi Kel

I guess you'll be having a new appreciation for what it takes to run Songstuff about now :D

I don't have time to go sort it all out but I would be happy to offer guidance and help you solve individual problems.

Okay, how are you trying to create the website.... empty webspace with a domain pointing to some parked webpage your host created.

Are you using a Content Management System (CMS) like wordpress, drupal or joomla? If not, why not? I am assuming you have php5 or above and mysql in your webspace?

What is your site domain?

Hi John, I never lacked an appreciation of what you do.

My domain is www.kelabbmusic.com hosted by Network Solutions. https://www.networksolutions.com/purchase-it/order-receipt.jsp?oid=493118285&SiteId=46067236

I have started using their onsite web builder, but it doesn't seem to have what I want available,it might, I don't know.

I have also tried other host sites such as wix (I like their web builder better, but not their hosting plan). There are a couple of others I've tried using their online web builing tool too.

This week I have downloaded kompozer, nvu, bluevoda, coffee cup html builder, xara web b puvlisher, WYSIWYG Web builder 8, Net Fusion Objects Essentials, Dynamic HTML Editor, Lauyan TOWeb V4 and probably others I can't remember.

Admitedly, any of these may be able to help me if I devote a month to figuring it out (I used coffee cup in my past, but then in association with a WYSIWYG editor as well that I can't remember the name of it was great. You could see how your pages linked on one screen. I used to run an internet football league so I had pages cascading from some but not others etc as the information flow dictated. Can't for the life of my remember what it was called.

Anyway, I haven't gone to wordpress because I already have the domain, and I know I can get wordpress onto my site, and that is how I wanted to do it. I just don't know how.

My needs are few at this stage:

A little about me, my sparky little catchphrase, an invitation to join a mailing list (and said list management, once again, down the track...), a blog, a newsletter a sample of my song, and a giveaway backing track inviting people to make their own recording (just another way to get email address for a mailing list), links to Songstuff, my SonicBids,, Reverbnation,Twitter and maybe others  one day (CD Baby or iTunes if I arrange a commercial release, but that is future)

I haven't written out my detailed plan yet, but it includes establishing my name through fans of music like I write, and as fans link me, who have also linked other artists, etc, my name will be seen. Here and there there may be a link to a song or two that an artist somewhere may listen to and think, hey that's alright. I wonder what else he has? I'm not counting on this happening, but it won't if I don't create the possibility.

As I said, probably one or two pages is all I need. I might like a 3rd where I can put video links to local acts with youtube vids, so I am seen to be participating and not just sucking from the local scene as well. I would want it easy to change the videos weekly. I envisage one large and two small screens on this page, and the viewing takes place on my page, the viewer doesn't get sent away to another site.

So, a site with links to my other pages (at this stage, Songstuff, SonicBids and Reverbnation), a link to a track from my soundcloud account, a blog, a newsletter, a call to action for subscription with a promise of something for nothing (like an mp3 backing track or even a song demo deemed not worth pitching agressively), twitter feed, facebook. 

I've gone round in circles again, haven't I?.

Cheers,

Kel

• 1 month later...

Hey Kel!

I created a couple of websites with IM creator. it's also an online builder and for my needs it was quite good.

you don't have to register or to sign up, just pick a template and customize it. you should try it.

good luck!

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Hi Kel

I guess you'll be having a new appreciation for what it takes to run Songstuff about now :D

I don't have time to go sort it all out but I would be happy to offer guidance and help you solve individual problems.

Okay, how are you trying to create the website.... empty webspace with a domain pointing to some parked webpage your host created.

Are you using a Content Management System (CMS) like wordpress, drupal or joomla? If not, why not? I am assuming you have php5 or above and mysql in your webspace?

What is your site domain?

You've bamboozled me with gobbledgook, John.

my domain name is www.kelabbmusic.com but I don't think anything is up yet.

Have no idea what you are talking about with drupal or joomia or mysql or php5 they sound like bad names for shampoo!

I have hosting by iWeb I think they are called, and their page builder is better than others I've seen. I'll have more time after today, taking a couple of weeks off work so I'll get a lot this background stuff done.

Cheers,

Kel

I'm good at that :)

Mysql is a common type of database. A database is where you store the content of your website (among other information). For example page names and text etc.

PHP is the name of a software scripting language. It efectively takes a page request from your web browser, pulls the correct information from the database, and then formats that information into the final web page for your web browser to display.

Content Management Systems are a software program composed of a software scripting component and a data storage system, usually a database. They are software programs that arrange and organise the information you want stored. Your "page builder" is a type of CMS.

But not all CMS are equal. Wordpress, joomla & Drupal are the 3 most popular. They are the most popular for good reason.

• 1 month later...