Your Ad Could Be Here

What Mics Do You Use?

Hey all, just wondering what kinds of mics everyone's using, what you're using them for, and if you might have any unconventional tips or tricks up your sleeves.

I'm using a Rode NT1-A for vocals and acoustic guitars, as well as a few mics from the venue I work at on the odd occasion they let me in to do some demos.. I really like the Apex 215 ribbon we have in the mic closet at the venue, sounds great on guitars and whatnot.

AKG 414 (C414B-ULS to be precise) - bought used about 25 years ago... a pretty great mic... no problem using it on anything...

And a pair of Shure SM57's... seldom used...

Got a long wish list of mics, but... Oh well...

The only thing I've seen that inspires more brand loyalty and/or pissing matches then guitars is mic's 

DAWs and computers!

I use a Blue Snowball mic. It's all I could afford. I'm not all that impressed with it but considering I had been using the mic that is built in to my computer, it's a step up. At least it doesn't record the computer fan anymore... I long for the day to upgrade my equipment.

• 1 month later...

At work, I usually use AKG C414's for vocals.  I have access to Neumann U87's too, but I was never over thrilled with the result, and since they're kept in a different building, the walk is never worthwhile.  :)  Even on my own projects, I try to track vocals at work.  We have better gear!  But, you know, I've tracked vocals with a $99 Audio Technica AT-2020 at home, and it didn't sound a thousand bucks cheaper than when I re-did it at work with the C414! In fact, the two performances were surprisingly similar. Acoustic Guitars and pianos I always use Neumann KM184's.  Love 'em.

R.

LOVE my Shiny Box MXC Ribbon.  Use it on acoustics, vox and gtr cabs.  Performs just as well as the way more expensive ribbons.  I also have a Royer R101 for gtr cabs that I use a lot.  My Octava MK-012-01 is amazing on acoustic gtrs.  Captures the wood very well.

Gigs: Sure SM58 (replacing an elderly Unisphere which started to give me mild electric shocks)

Studio: Rode NT2 A

I have that mic as well and it's great on just about everything.  Has a real Neumann like response without the huge price tag.

I'm using a Yeti microphone "blue" edition i think its called, its a really dope microphone, boasts a whole host of different settings including solo, surround recording and i think 2-3 others for different recording situations. It also has a gain adjustment knob built into the microphone which is refreshing when i wanna record without getting f*ckin spit into my microphone.

Its my first microphone for recording music, i think i picked it up for $80, i can't remember, i def. reccomend though, brings borderline studio quality. 

• 2 weeks later...