Your Ad Could Be Here

Should I Join A Pro (Bmi, Ascap)

• Noob

Hey Everyone!

Im new to the forum and have a question over wether or not it looks good to be a memer of a PRO when sending out press kits or if it even matters at all. I dont have anything with commercial success out right now so I would be joining purely in hopes of being taken more seriously when sending out demos/press kits. So would being a member have an affect similar to an actor joining SAG or is this a complety different matter? Please any advice or insite would be greatly apriciatedn (i realize that this may be a dumb question or that theres probably an obvious answer)

Plenty to consider, for sure. :) My own experience has been that some music licensing agencies won't accept submissions unless you're affiliated with a PRO. 

In one particular instance, I was glad I'd already signed up with my local PRO. A song of mine was licensed for an episode in a TV series, and things wouldn't have gone as quickly/smoothly if I hadn't already had PRO membership. Royalties are paid directly to the PRO, and are then passed on to me. 

If you intend to submit songs to music licensing agencies, I'd recommend you join a PRO. ;)

And here's a link to a site you might find of interest. All kinds of information about music libraries and their requirements.

http://musiclibraryreport.com

Donna

Edited by DonnaMarilyn