Your Ad Could Be Here

Problems with EMU 0404

Folks,

Anyone else tried this card?

I think mine is faulty and it's going back. Seems to always record a few crisp ( that's CHIP ) bags that I can never remember adding. The supplier is actually out of stock of any replacements and is suggesting an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 instead.

Specs look pretty much the same. Whaddyathink?

BS

Well the 2496 arrived this morning and I had it installed, with the drivers upgraded in about 15 minutes.

Must say it does sound good - and the latency is reporting *less* than the EMU card too ( 6.1ms ) so fingers crossed for no more crisp bags. I guess with a more mature card you get more mature drivers...

For some reason though, SoundForge decided to revert all its DX plugins to "DEMO" mode at the same time. Took me a while to figure it out, but in the end, just wiped SF from the hard disk and registry, reinstalled, reregistered and all was sorted.

Now for some music!

BS

Hey BS

Very nice. Although close, the high pitched melody sound isn't quite right. You've got a really nice drum sound. I do love brushes. What did you use for the source?

You could build a really cool track from this. Doodle or not, you've created a relaxed vibe with a pretty uncomplicated mix.

Cheers

John

Hey BS

Very nice.  Although close, the high pitched melody sound isn't quite right. You've got a really nice drum sound. I do love brushes. What did you use for the source?

You could build a really cool track from this. Doodle or not, you've created a relaxed vibe with a pretty uncomplicated mix.

Cheers

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers for the comments John.

All the drums are from a sample CD I bought about ten years ago called Liquid Grooves. I messed around with the pitch and compression a bit in SoundForge before importing into CuBase.

I've done some work on the track since to try and structure it a bit more without the need for introducing more layers - as you say, to keep it simple!

Agree the melody isn't quite voiced correctly. Was gonna change that anyway.

But one thing I really want to get right is the "drone" that runs most of the way through the track ( the first sound you hear).

It's just A and C, which with the C then Bb chords gives a nice C6 then Bb7-9 harmony. Anyway, I really want to get it a bit more "organic" - a bit like Brian Eno did on "Once In A Lifetime" - you know the sequence that runs through the verses - it's got some really interesting movement to it. All I've got just now is some basic filter/resonance changes but I reckon it could really improve in that aspect...

BS

Cheers for the comments John.

All the drums are from a sample CD I bought about ten years ago called Liquid Grooves. I messed around with the pitch and compression a bit in SoundForge before importing into CuBase.

I've done some work on the track since to try and structure it a bit more without the need for introducing more layers - as you say, to keep it simple!

Agree the melody isn't quite voiced correctly. Was gonna change that anyway.

But one thing I really want to get right is the "drone" that runs most of the way through the track ( the first sound you hear).

It's just A and C, which with the C then Bb chords gives a nice C6 then Bb7-9 harmony. Anyway, I really want to get it a bit more "organic" - a bit like Brian Eno did on "Once In A Lifetime" - you know the sequence that runs through the verses - it's got some really interesting movement to it. All I've got just now is some basic filter/resonance changes but I reckon it could really improve in that aspect...

BS

Hey BS

You're right on the money in terms of direction. In terms of the pedal itself, consider adding a quieter high octave to lighten the feel. I'm going to have another good listen later on and see if I can give any more constructive suggestions.

Cheers

John