Your Ad Could Be Here

RIAA

Hey

I found this little ditty and thought it was worth highlighting:

http://www.s5000.com/what_the_huck/771/ria...c_downloads.php

Cheers

John

Who the heck is Huck and why should I pay attention to what he's saying?

... was my first reaction to this ...

I tend to be a bit more selective on my sources.

If you go through the facts in the case, they are that copyrighted material has been illegally distributed, which is - by law - a crime. Now, if you do a crime be prepared to do the time - that's how it is.

Many of these pages falsely claims that indie artists who themselves want to share files are at a loss for this. That is untrue. Anyone who own the rights to their own material are of course allowed to sell, distribute or give away this as they see fit.

One must see the distinction between copyrighted material legally distributed and illegally distributed. The RIAA wants to settle the score with the latter - and the court is to decide if they are right or not. Not Huck or Chuck.

You can always rely on John to stir things up!

The style of the article switched me off pretty quickly. It's a one-sided rant which makes a lot of assertions, very few of which are backed up by evidence.

And the punctuation makes it a hard read.

Finn is right though, it doesn't differentiate much between legal/illegal downloads.

Who the heck is Huck and why should I pay attention to what he's saying?

... was my first reaction to this ...

I tend to be a bit more selective on my sources.

If you go through the facts in the case, they are that copyrighted material has been illegally distributed, which is - by law - a crime. Now, if you do a crime be prepared to do the time - that's how it is.

Many of these pages falsely claims that indie artists who themselves want to share files are at a loss for this. That is untrue. Anyone who own the rights to their own material are of course allowed to sell, distribute or give away this as they see fit.

One must see the distinction between copyrighted material legally distributed and illegally distributed. The RIAA wants to settle the score with the latter - and the court is to decide if they are right or not. Not Huck or Chuck.

Hey Finn

I found it interesting precisely because it is a rant. That actually underlines the small mindedness of those who believe they have a right to download anything they want including my hard work. It demonstrates a mindset.

I'm not against what the RIAA are doing, or at least why they are doing it. I don't always agree with the methods.

It's far from the most useful article, but it does demonstrate a common viewpoint quite well, so I posted a link.

That said I was tired, it was late, and what seems interesting at that point is quite different from the things I would pick otherwise. :-[:( See what happens when your poor old webmaster is working too hard! :(

Feel free to post some more selective links. ;):)

Cheers

John

That said I was tired, it was late, and what seems interesting at that point is quite different from the things I would pick otherwise.  :-[  :(  See what happens when your poor old webmaster is working too hard! :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey John - you do a great job! I didn't mean to pick on you, my comments was targeted on the article - but I see now it came out a bit wrong.

The other article you posted was even worse I thought - with the nazi-crosses - that's rather extreme messaging.

I think RIAA does what they have to do - test this for the courts. As for online music - it's the future, I believe - and as I've said before: hopefully this will result in a quality boost of the music - and the tits & asses "musicians" will go back to Hugh for a job.

Now I only hope that I can measure up to that quality standard - I doubt I'm of any interest to mr. Heffner :-/

The other article you posted was even worse I thought - with the nazi-crosses - that's rather extreme messaging.

Nazi Crosses?

:o

When did I do that? :-/

Nazi Crosses?

:o

When did I do that? :-/

s'ok, I spotted them....

Sad really. I didn't know Hitler had a view on copyright...

s'ok, I spotted them....

Sad really. I didn't know Hitler had a view on copyright...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I'm sure he had. A pretty screwed up one too I'm sure ::)