Oh those high school days  

As I sat down with my year book today

Studying in the USA
Some teachers taught some teachers cared

God, bless the USA  

Y12W15 Oh Those High School Days.mp3

Edited by jamestoffee
  • Like 1

This is more appropriate for a young singer.  As far as audience goes, I think you're right in there.  Plus, I knew I'd like it right from the start. 

MP

Hi MP,

Thanks for the listen and post.

I found the week's challenge of the structure restrictions....a challenge :)....and as far as the recording....my family does a good job at pointing out my lack of rapping skills....LOL

.....but we can't take ourselves to seriously anyway...if we did, we'd miss out on a lot of fun ;)

Thanks again.

James

Yea, I felt those restrictions as well.  I know it must have been good exercise to have hard limits, sepecially on this song, a whole lot of repeating. So for me, who won't even repeat a word in a lyric, this was very throttling.

So for me, who won't even repeat a word in a lyric, this was very throttling.

Interesting, 

I've only heard benefits of repetition.  If you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd like to hear why someone would chose to take this songwriter's tool out of their tool box.

aside from the refrain(meant to edit that but got busy).  It's really just a matter of working for the lyric.  Keep saying love , keep saying eyes, keep saying rain, bla, bla, bla.  There is more boring crap in lyrics.  Unless you unless you work for it.  using just, really, all, and, but.. all the time is waistfull.  There's colors and sounds and smells and textures, the fullness of a lyric is unrealized in repitition.

Down to the RIver To Pray is written really well.  That 5 syllable line at the end of the stanza works, shakes it up.  But i think the performance sells it.  It's lyrical content is so simple, rhythmic, from it's hisory and origin.  This is an old, old song, very useful for this exercise.  How do you take this format and make it new and interesting for a younger audience. 

In the end, the performance will sell it.

There's colors and sounds and smells and textures, the fullness of a lyric is unrealized in repitition.

Interesting.  I had defaulted in thinking to colors, sound and smells and textures for verses and repetition for choruses....not always, but as a general rule of thumb.

Thanks for clarifying.

...and I agree with your analysis of the song ending with the importance of the performance.

• Like 1

Interesting.  I had defaulted in thinking to colors, sound and smells and textures for verses and repetition for choruses....not always, but as a general rule of thumb.

Thanks for clarifying.

...and I agree with your analysis of the song ending with the importance of the performance.

And I agree with your view on verses/chorus.  But to get back to why this song was challenging for me personally, the verse stanzas are repeated as well.  It alternates A and B, there is very little change in how they are worded.  That said, the fact that it's been around for like 150 years is a testament to some other things about it as well.  Choosing down IN the river rather than down TO the river is important, sisters, brothers, fathers, mothers(especially mothers), sinners is really the only change.  So the melody and rhythm combined with Alison Kraus' unbelievable vocal...Saylor Twift has her work cut out for her.

The more I think about it, the more I like how this challenge forced me into this strict structure, it was uncomfortable for me, I kept wanting to paint outside the lines.  Especially in perfect rhyme.  I don't write in perfect rhyme very often, I like to play with ideas that more often than not are found in near rhyme.  But This lyric absolutely has to have perfect rhyme, it has to set that hard edge.

More later

James you did a fantastic job taking a simple format and making it interesting, with your vivid imagery of action in each verse. I thought the song was cute too.

Well done!

Goldy :jumping13:  :jumping13:  :jumping13:

Edited by goldylocks