Your Ad Could Be Here

Potential Song Writer In New Zealand

KaGy

I'm really keen to learn how to write songs.   I enjoy putting words together and revising my work, though to make it the best it can be I 'd really like the advice and opinions of those who are more experienced, which is why I have joined Songstuff.

My musical knowledge started and ended at the age of nine with the school recorder, so I know I'm looking for collaboration with a musician and I'm hoping to learn song formats for my lyrics on this site too. 

On musical taste, I like a song or I don't, it doesn't matter what the style is - everything from Charlie Drake to George Thorogood and a lot of modern stuff if the lyrics are right- I like 'Roar'.  I guess I really like bass, drums and the sound of a cowbell.

If anyone out there is reading this and needs help with some lines I'd be stoked if you offered me the challenge.

HAPPY DAYS  :ninja:

KaGy

Hiya KaGy (is that Cagey or Kaggee??).

As a fellow lyricist, welcome to the club, formerly known as Songstuff :) (it is still called Songstuff - I'm just messin' about)

May I be the 1st to congratulate you on finding us, and the 1st to give you some 'sound' advice. You gotta earn your stripes by being in the trenches first :yes:

That means, read through the back catalogue and annals of Songstuff where there's masses of help and advice about lyricing (is that a word?). Get involved in discussions, get to know people here, let them get to know you, join in the community spirit :yes:

Develop a skill of critiquing others lyrics, because this is the best way to learn to improve, as well as reading through the critque given :yes:

Then show us what you've learnt, & post some lyrics for critiquing. Jumping in at the deep end is not always advised, unless you've got a steel plate skin :no:

Other than that, the best decision you've ever made is signing up for here :yes:

Hi! Welcome to a great place where a lot of really skilled lyricists hang around. I learnt a great deal from reading and critiquing others work so I recommend you to do that. Not only because it is a must but because it will help develop your own writing. Just like Justin says ;)

Looking forward to see what you'r up to!

MMR

• Like 2

Thank you MMR, David. 

Could you tell me whether you have a basic structure for critique.  I have given feedback for poetry and prose though I don't feel I am experienced enough to critique songs, I am still getting my head around the different song forms, AA, AABA etc...  I write a song and the structure never occured to me, I just learned this after joining Songstuff :eek:

Thank you Tom, that's a great help; and thank you LooknGlass for your welcome.  I will take all the advice given and check around the site.  I am looking forward to getting feedback when I'm ready to post - which will depend on my ability to absorb the information here, it's a big place this Songstuff.  :detective:

Hey and welcome - I only just joinmed myself and it looks like a nice friendly helpful place. I am an old timer as far as writing but haven't been doing it for a while.

The most important advice I can offer you is to learn the rules of songwriting - and then break them all.  Treat them as a guide only but don't get hung up on them. Writing songs is a creative process and if you tie it up in rules you stifle the creativity.  So get the feelings down on the page and then start to tidy them up and get them in some order. Never start with the structure - work that in after you get the soul into the song.

Oh - and enjoy it. If you can't enjoy it then there's no point doing it :)

• Like 1

That's really cool, thanks asab.  I agree with you wholeheartedly, I do just let the pen go when I'm 'in the zone' and pick up the pieces afterward to see if I have anything.  I don't play any instruments and if I get a tune in my head, it's usually short and then I don't know what to do with it, so I stick to lyrics, and I want them to really work in a song - hence getting strung up on the structure.  Thank you again for the advice.  :ninja: