Your Ad Could Be Here

How Much Attention Do You Pay To Your Outros/endings?

So I've noticed that I've, somewhat unconsciously, given the few songs I've recorded different rather distinct endings. But I have to admit I couldn't describe each ending of songs from my favorite albums.

The few I do remember I like because they're either a really bright exclamation point or, if it's a distinct outro, distorts or continues the story of the song.

What's your mindset when crafting a song's ending? Do you feel its as important as say an intro or any other part of the song?

Edited by White Soul Black Heart

• 3 weeks later...

I read in a book about the Beatles that they were very careful about ending(and starting) their songs in many variations.

There is a reason behind that, of course. Songwriting is an art and you dont want your song to sound bland, boring and uninteresting, so you decorate your song in as many ways you seem appropriate and intro and ending are no exception to that.

I think both intros and outros are extremely important. The intro grabs the listener, but the outro can leave a lasting impression…hopefully, making the listener to want more of your music. To this day, one of my favorite endings for a song came from a Dave Matthews Band album Everyday. The song When the World Ends almost feels like it just stops out of nowhere…but it made me want to replay that song over again because I thought it was so cool.