Your Ad Could Be Here

Help Replacing My Pickups On My Sg

So I ever-so-generously received a 2015 Gibson SG Special yesterday in a 60's goldenrod case, which I unexpected (since I had originally asked for a 2014 SG Standard). Long story short, I plug it into my Randall half stack and strum a G power chord. While it gave me a AC/DC kind of vibe, which I don't mind at all, as I continued playing I didn't like the tone when it came to playing some of my punk compositions or Offspring covers. The 61' Zebra pickups, from the D string down, sound too mellow, regardless of me having it in the bridge, neck or a combination of both. It lacks that punchy feeling I'm used to on my Ibanez, which employs DiMarzio/Seymour Duncan pickups. 

What pickups would fellow guitar users suggest I look into that are decently priced, but still give me a raw, Offspring-like sound? Stylistically its the Heritage Cherry version, and the pickups are gold-white. Black pickups would probably not look too out of place. What would you guys suggest? Be specific as possible, I'm a newbie to this type of stuff. Thanks.

Edited by DogmaticRock

Hey Dog

First ,you should understand that guitars like that come with "Vintage" style pickups,and arn't really considered to be a hot pickup.

With pickups like that people would depend on high gain on their amps,or putting some kind of a effect pedal in front of the amp,which is what I'd do if you cant dial in enough crunch from your amps gain pushing the pre amp side into hard distortion.

First off you'd come out a lot cheaper,and you could always hit the switch and be back to the original sound for playing mellower stuff if you ever decided to.Always nice to have options.

I'm sure your local guitar store has your exact guitar,as its so new,and a display of effects you could try{preferably on an amp similar to yours}till you find one that suits your taste.

If you are determined to purchase new pickups,be aware that your looking at roughly $200 plus roughly another $70 for the install.

As far as recommending a certain pickup,their are so many out their,depending on what you want to pay,it's kinda hard to just say that's what you want.

You can do research and many websites have sound bytes of pickups,but that doesn't necessarily mean that's what the'll sound like in your guitar or through your rig.

You can also look up what other players you like use,but as before it might not sound the same.

Personally I'd try a pedal first,You can find them all day long on C/L very cheap all day long.

Best of luck and let us know how you come out.

Just read what Tom said while I was typing my reply.He is !00% correct,but I still think a pedal would do the trick for you if you love everything else about the guitar.

Edited by davidmichael

David is right in that you could almost certainly find a pedal / preamp / processor to give the SG a sound you approve of.

Sound quality is a personal thing and it can drive you nuts. To avoid all that, consider what Tom suggests. Why not re-evaluate if the SG is something really want?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey DM. Is this the new 24 fret version with the wider fretboard?

And have you come to terms with the sound yet or made a decision?