Your Ad Could Be Here

Bootlegs

I found this site with A LOT of bootlegs, from Herbie hancock to Prince, the doors to nine inch nails.... you name it, they have even videos for free download.

So I'm wondering if this is legal, I remember that Zappa made a deal to sell his bootlegs (the "beat the boots" series).

as H. may put it:

Waddaya FINK?

I believe they are still the property of the artist. Some artists embrace bootlegs. I think they should, but in the end it is up to the artist as to whether or not it is legal.

Assume it is not legal unless you know the artist is ok with it.

Just my opinionated opinion,

the other John

Awesome link Hari, thanks for sharing it.

From what I understand, trading bootlegs are OK as long as no money changes hands

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's my understanding too. Anyway - Genesis is going through and digitizing tapes from all their old shows and putting them online. http://www.genesis-music.com

I don't remember where I read it, but David Bowie said that in the future recorded music is going to be free, just for promo. musicians are going to earn their bucks playing live.

I don't think that there's enough places to play for all musicians...

I don't remember where I read it, but David Bowie said that in the future recorded music is going to be free, just for promo. musicians are going to earn their bucks playing live.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose this could weed out the crap musicians.

I suppose this could weed out the crap musicians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

e-xactly 8) (hoping I'm good enough :-[ ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't believe that, though. The market value of music is just too high. David Bowie is a lot, but an economist he is not.

ARE BOOTLEGS LEGAL?

Since this guide is intended to be used by NIRVANA traders, we shall put to one side for a moment the legal issues associated with the actual process of recording. Although for bootleg laws are pretty universal, they do somewhat vary from country to country. If you live outside of the US, please consult the law applicable to your jurisdiction for more information on the legality of bootlegs in your area. You can find some of these specific points in US Code 17, Section 1101.

It is NOT illegal to own bootlegs. The US Code does not prohibit the ownership of any live recording, even if it does infringe on the copyright-holder's rights.

It IS illegal to sell bootlegs. This law applies equally to all private individuals. Selling bootlegs for any profit what-so-ever, be it in the form of cash currency or bananas is illegal according to US Code 17, Section 1101. It used to be legal to sell bootlegs in Italy, but since the implementation of the European Union laws, this is now a thing of the past. Bootlegs were also legal in Australia for a period of time, although that time has long since past.

It is NOT illegal to purchase bootlegs. This is not mentioned anywhere in US Law. You can walk down to your local record store, and purchase a bootleg without having to worry about the cops breaking your door down.

The US Government WILL seize shipments of bootlegs intended for sale in the US. This is why bootleg companies tend to keep the packages they ship small. This is also the reason the cost of bootlegs is so high in the United States..

http://www.livenirvana.com

i presume this aplies to 99-per cent of the world.. [smiley=rockin.gif]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard Bryan Adams in an interview once. He was asked about the internet and p2p file sharing. He said he didn't care about people sharing his music on p2p. He said that he earned enough money touring!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that idea has been floating around, mainly promoted by people who want music for free.

What is most flawed in it, is that it doesn't make a difference between a composer, a songwriter and a musician (i.e., someone playing an instrument or singing).

They are not necessarily at all the same persons.

Did you know Berlioz wasn't able to play a single instrument? (Well, I seem to remember he was able to play a few tunes on a recorder).

True also. That has been an increasing issue.

Didier

• 1 month later...

Sort of relevant link - Live Music archive. In case you haven't come across it before, this is part of the Internet Archive which has been archiving web sites etc since 1996. Currently contains about 1 petabyte of information and is an online digital library with very large collections of audio, video, texts, web sites, and software. For example, it claims to host footage of more than 20,000 live concerts, and snapshots of the Internet dating back to 1996, accessible through the well-known Wayback Machine, which currently hosts over 40 billion web pages.

If you are a Grateful Dead fan there is a VAST quantity of Live Concerts available. There is a fair selection of artists there.

In Italy, in the 80s, many record stores used to openly sell bootleg LPs.

I came by a number of excellent ones, notably Tom Waits and Ry Cooder.

I have a Tom Petty one which I am sure would have been good had it not been pressed off-centre!

ANyone else got any good ones?