Your Ad Could Be Here

Singing Better In Flat Keys?

Myself as well as My karaoke instructor and most people in the audience and some people I have played for agreed I sing better in flat keys. My vocal range is about G3- B5

Although key of A is in my range I sing better in Ab although B is my range I sing better in Bb and C I sing better in Cb. 

These keys also sound brighter sharper and clearer when I play in them (the guitar, banjo, dobro, mandolin, lap steel or bass parts).

G capo 1 sound much better to me than G capo 2. Capo 1 sounds bright sharp and clear, I sing wonderful in it. G capo 2 sounds dark, dull, and muddy I sing decent in it. Same for C capo 1 or C capo 2 any ideas as to why?

I doubt there is any why.

I dont know what you mean by G/C capo 1 & 2?

As for the rest, its just probably your preference.

By G capo 1 I mean  using Chords for the Key of G with the capo on the first fret to make key of Ab a flat key which sounds MUCH better than G shaped chords on the 2nd fret to Make Key of A a sharp key  Same for C shaped chords on frets 1 and 2 Db sounds better than D. I also sing better in key of  Ab as opposed to A and key of Db as opposed to D.

Edited by macmanmatty

Wish I could help. I also think it would be cool to work with an instructor to find out my "strong" zone. Although I'd say I do have a pretty good Karaoke Instructor … his name is Budweiser.

By G capo 1 I mean  using Chords for the Key of G with the capo on the first fret to make key of Ab a flat key which sounds MUCH better than G shaped chords on the 2nd fret to Make Key of A a sharp key  Same for C shaped chords on frets 1 and 2 Db sounds better than D. I also sing better in key of  Ab as opposed to A and key of Db as opposed to D.

Oh ok. I get it.

Adding a capo can brighten up the sound, but there should be no appreciable difference between using a G shape on fret 1 (Ab) or fret 2 (A).

Singing: We all find keys that suit our voice best. But if you can sing in Bb and Ab ok, but not able to sing in A, that would be weird. Unless of course you are changing the octave you sing in at this point. If not then I am at a loss to understand why. I can only speculate that it’s something psychological?

Consider this. These are not all flat keys.

For example in your OP you mention being able to sing better in Cb. The thing is, that there is no Cb. The correct name is B (natural). The reason is that there isn’t a whole tone between B and C. It’s only a half tone interval. The same thing applies to E and F, meaning that there is no Fb either.

As for the other flats you mention, it’s just a matter of preference how you name them.

Ab sits between G and A, and can also be expressed as either Ab or G#.

So Ab is G#. In music notation it is a matter of context. But when speaking of these notes as keys (as we are) it makes no difference.

Similarly, Db sits between D and E, so can be expressed as E#.  

So you can equally claim that you sing better in sharp keys.

I realise that none of this has not helped with your question but I'm at a loss to understand why this is, unless of course you are changing octave at these crossover points!

Rudi

Thanks for the reply rudi

Actually, The keys of A#, B#, D#, E# and G# don't actually exist and neither does Fb. If A key has a double sharp or flat in it it does not exist (no F##'s or C##'s or Bbb's). It can have the notes B#, E#, Cb and Fb though.  There are 12 natural C the 4 sharp keys  G, A, D, E, The four flat keys , F, Bb, Ab, Eb, and the three enharmonic keys  B/ Cb, C#/ Db, and F#/ Gb

The D# scale D#, E# F##, G#, A#, B#, C## D#

The Eb scale Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb  Much nicer notation!!

Thanks for the reply rudi

Actually, The keys of A#, B#, D#, E# and G# don't actually exist and neither does Fb. If A key has a double sharp or flat in it it does not exist (no F##'s or C##'s or Bbb's). It can have the notes B#, E#, Cb and Fb though.  There are 12 natural C the 4 sharp keys  G, A, D, E, The four flat keys , F, Bb, Ab, Eb, and the three enharmonic keys  B/ Cb, C#/ Db, and F#/ Gb

The D# scale D#, E# F##, G#, A#, B#, C## D#

The Eb scale Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb  Much nicer notation!!

Looks like I wasted my time all the same.

You are mixing up keys with scales now.

Thanks for all of the replies sorry to start the theory argument I didn't mean to. I  guess my mind is  making me  prefer those keys. I keep singing in them so why would it not?  I will try to make my mind like key of A  though sure would  make  my mandolin and violin happier!!