Your Ad Could Be Here

Hello! My Introduction

LoganBGoldstein

• Noob

Hello everyone! I'm aspiring to become a professional musician. I'm 17 and it has always been my dream to make music my entire life and truly make a living out of my music. I've been dealing with depression and all sorts of other personal issues that sort of hid this dream or diminished it from me, but I'm only now truly realizing how badly I want it. I've sang every night and morning in the shower and when by myself, sometimes even in the presence of friends ever since I could talk! I never took any lessons, however after all these years I suppose I just sound good now, or so my family and friends think. I want to take it to the next level, though. I want to become the best singer I can be, I want to learn guitar (acoustic, I'm buying one and looking into lessons), and I want to make it my career.

My question, alongside my introduction, is this; Am I too late? Am I being naive? Did I discover this dream too late? Am I taking the saying, "follow your dreams" too closely to my heart and really preparing myself for failure and destroying my life? I personally don't think so, but I'm sure some of you know that fear is a very strong presence even if you defy it. Anyhow, I'm glad to be able to talk to any of you. Best of luck to you!

• Editors

Hi there :)

First off, welcome to Songstuff. Being a professional musician sure is a bold step to make. The best advice I could give for whatever it is worth is to be very self critical about the music you create, your ability to make music and how well you are handling the business/money aspect of it. Music is a legitimate career. It has its ways. So it isn't wise to rely on what you wish to be but on the process and insight that goes behind making it happen.

I've seen it the hard way. But hey, I've had some great friends showing me the way. :)

Goodluck!

Mahesh

• Like 1

• Noob
27 minutes ago, Mahesh said:

It isn't wise to rely on what you wish to be but on the process and insight that goes behind making it happen.

Thank you for the advice and insight. I'm actually going to take that^ and write it down somewhere, keep it in mind. It's the journey that's important, not the destination, right?

• Editors
3 minutes ago, LoganBGoldstein said:

Thank you for the advice and insight. I'm actually going to take that^ and write it down somewhere, keep it in mind. It's the journey that's important, not the destination, right?

In a sense yes. Make sure you are nice and comfy for the journey.

This would mean

•  to understand what the consequences would be on your everyday living if you are to take up music full time. How to pay the bills, improve your gear, etc
  • to analyze and understand how good you are at your skill whether it be singing or playing the guitar or writing songs and to ask yourself if it is good enough to help you standout from the countless people trying to make music a living.
  • to learn business industry, management and marketing skills to back your music up with a strong foundation using which you can reach out to a wider audience.
  • to keep yourself passionate about what you do.
  • to have short term and long term goals and actively work on achieving them.
  • and a lot more!

I'm sure a lot of members around here may give you more useful advice. Browse the forums and see if you'll find something that will help you. (psst you will ;)

Cheers,

Mahesh

Hi and welcome to Songstuff!

hmmm, what advice to give? Adding to what Mahesh is advising:

• it's never too late.
  • Circumstances are always different, but they can be similar enough to know that knowledge and awareness improve our prospects by allowing us to analyse, plan, adapt and evolve.
  • Reality kicks the crap out of wishful thinking every time.
  • Be prepared to learn. Don't nail ideas down. Open your mind. Explore.
  • Set goals, then write them down three times.
  • Apply your creativity to everything.
  • Make mistakes, but don't repeat them.
  • Ask questions, LISTEN to the answers
  • Copy what works (ideas, processes etc.)
  • Set standards. Stick to them.
  • Improve quality
  • Be responsive.
  • Think big, Aim high, keep expectation low
  • Learn all you can about the business of music. Most musicians make money performing several roles within the industry, not just one.
  • You have a better chance of winning the lottery than becoming a high earning, top echelon artist. Even so, a full-time wage is very possible.
  • There are many older people who have become successful... But the details of their plan to become successful will have been  different but at the same time with many shared elements, stages and methods.
  • Age does have bearing. Different age groups and other demographics of fan / customers need to be approached differently. From knowing this you can adapt methods and adjust your expectations, costs, timescales, even entire music business models. So, know your audience!
  • Beware sharks.
  • Working hard does not guarantee success, but it does make it more likely.
  • For independents, strength comes by working together, sharing assets and abilities.
  • Care about the detail
  • Push yourself, inspire
  • Stay focused
  • Dont be afraid to cut your losses 
  • Enjoy the journey!

i am sure I missed loads, brushed over even more, but it's enough to get started! Lol

Am I too late?  No

Am I being naive? Yes

Did I discover this dream too late? No

Am I taking the saying, "follow your dreams" too closely to my heart and really preparing myself for failure and destroying my life? You'll have to answer that one yourself.

Welcome and good luck to you!

http://www.facebook.com/RockBernd
who began his musical life at the age of 45 and is still just beginning - sort of ;-)