Your Ad Could Be Here

I wanna learn how to mix!

4 hours ago, starise said:

Just a suggestion- If you're strictly working on the guitar to compose and want to make the arrangement bigger, one way to do that would be to use the low E and D strings for the bass part on another track using another instrument. Then you'll have the bass down. If you want drums, you could add them to that bass line.

That's a very excellent tip thank you! I will definitely play with that. 

You know how blondie's songs were originally reggae? Like heart of glass was originally this chill laid back reggae song? That's what I'm facing. Need to switch genres. Wish there was a plugin for that! Hehe. Poof presto chango. The laaaazy way 😉

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you saying you want to change what you're playing into another feel? Like a slow song made faster or a ballad made into a prog rock song? If you want reggae you could load a drum track with a reggae feel and play your melody to it. Doesn't Studio One Artist have some loops in it?

First off, I just have to thank you again for talking with me. I mean it thank you SO much it's helping!!!

Definitely not reggae for my stuff lol. I have been ruined by Neal Peart, Stewart Copeland, Mike Portnoy, and Bill Bruford. My favorite percussionists! I know very little percussion terminology, have little head knowledge about percussion but HUGE appreciation for it. I honestly don't even know if it's possible to program the kind of percussion I want. I fiddled with the loops a bit, but think for what I want I need to learn how to create it myself or find someone expertly skilled at it. 

Here is a good example I think of what I'm aiming for. This song is very simple. The melody is simple, the synths have good dynamics but are simple, the bass and guitar are simple. The percussion MAKES the song. This is how I want to use percussion in my music. Not copycat this, but expressive in this way. 

It seems like a simple song but to me it's very rich. Listen to the whole thing (if you listen thanks for your time!) The way it builds, the way it climaxes. 

You are definitely helping! I can say it now, that the music in my head is percussion oriented. I didn't know how to articulate that before! The percussion in my head takes center stage. Thank you! ❤

Which is why my acoustic versions of things are not satisfying to me, particularly my strumming songs. They do not reflect the syncopated percussive nuances in my head. It's all about the percussion! Awesome sauce 🤣

It sounds like you might want to try a separate drum program. They load inside of your daw. I'm not positive if your version of Studio One accepts software instruments. It probably does. If not you could upgrade to their flagship product.

Vsti drum programs are all similar in that they use real sampled drums taken usually from a real drummer at different velocities. Most come with lots of tools that allow you to change the drums in dramatic ways and even change out different drums to make your own drum kit. Drums can be tuned and can use different mic set ups to give them that live or studio feel. These programs all have their own mixer so you can mix only the drums OR send channels to individual tracks in your daw. This gives you the freedom to use the plugins and mix each drum track separate in your daw. They also come with loops or you can get midi loops from 3rd parties to use in them.

Here are some links to examples-

Addicitve Drums 2

BFD 3 - Note- You could start out with BFD eco for less.

Superior Drummer 3- Easy drummer is their less expensive option.

Jamsix 4

I have BFD eco , BFD 2 and BFD 3.  I am a little more partial to the sound of the samples in BFD as you can tell. That program seems to open up better in sound. I also have AD2. It's also nice, but I don't think it sounds as good as BFD 3. You can hook up a midi controller to these programs so if you get a midi controller with pads on it you can map the sounds to the pads on the controller.

There are many other similar programs. I think Acoustica Mixcraft 8 pro comes with it's own drum program. If you own Komplete , a product from Native Instruments you get three of four nice drum kits in it. I have all of those. TBH they all are very similar and any one of the things I've mentioned could probably work. I think BFD has a soundset you can buy that's Neil Pert's drums. I remember seeing it somewhere. Might not have been them.

Awesome Starise thank you! I was looking at addictive drums yesterday lol. Also am going to use my qwerty keyboard to tinker a bit with what comes in studio one I saw that you can do that. Thanks for your suggestions and tips I will thoroughly look at them all! 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are lots of books on mixing, but if I had to name just one, Mike Senior's Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio is the most straightforward book I've read on the whole process, from the importance of room acoustics, to choosing monitoring speakers, to setting levels, EQ, and plugins. The selection of monitor speakers he suggests aren't insanely expensive, and he frequently recommends free plugins, for the budget conscious. 

Great choice ED. I have this book. Probably need to read it again.

• 3 months later...

Archived