Your Ad Could Be Here

Things You Like And Dislike About Being A Musician

starise

I thought it might be fun to look at the things you  like about being a musician and the the things you don't like. I would like to hear your take on it.

Everyone is probably a little different in this regard. There may be nothing you don't like about it. 

Here are some of the things I like about it-

I like the ability to shape sounds into something I made.

I like to see a finished song

I like the way creating makes me feel

I like all of the possibilities and sound colors available.

I like the potential to touch someone else with a feeling or thought

I like the feeling of learning something new and exciting

I get a natural high from music

I like to try new things in music

I like to get from the idea stage to the competed song

Some things I don't like-

I don't like not being able to reproduce the things I hear in my mind sometimes

I don't like not being understood  by non musicians

I don't like the need to make income that takes away from my time to make music

I don't like it when I have a great idea but I can't finish the concept all the way through

I don't like to see music and musicians undervalued for their efforts

I don't like how long it takes to develop muscle memory on a new instrument.

I don't like the competitive nature of the music business and some musicians

I don't like it when I thought I had a good idea, listen to it ,and it's not really very good

• Like 1

I like getting an idea and seeing it through to completion.

I like working on something I don't think I can do and then getting it done.

I like the surprise solutions that arise during the songwriting process.

I like when I hear something in my head and it comes out better than I thought it would.

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

I don't like jam sessions playing old songs over and over in a group.

I don't like not enjoying music as much as I did when I was young.

I don't like the realization that I will never be able to do the things I'd really want to with music.

I don't like having an idea and not being able to work on that idea for days or weeks at a time.

I don't like the fact that without leaving my family for large periods of time, I will never be able to make a living with music.

I don't like having an idea and then being unable to produce it.

Edited by Just1L

Good topic :)

I like being able to express my innermost feelings with a rich, deep palette

I like creating something new and original

I like communicating with listeners, a conversation that doesn't need words

I like building and evolving skills, so that music is a journey, not a destination

I like being able to quickly, sometimes instantly, communicate with other musicians

I like the enthusiasm of musicians caught up in an idea

I like the dynamics of a good performance

I like the sense of connection with an audience in sync ith the music and the performers

I like being surprised by the beauty of well expressed talent

I like the joy of hearing/seeing other musicians reaching for and exceeding expectation

I like to see musicians learn

I like the joy of discovering new talent

I like the challenge of music

I like the promise and possibility of music

I dislike unambitious regurgitation of something tired and uninspiring (except when used for learning)

I dislike undependable musicians

I dislike arrogant musicians

I dislike complacent music making

I dislike that I have a calling that is sadly so undervalued by today's society

I dislike that it is so difficult to make a living as a musician and songwriter by comparison to other careers and life choices

I dislike that making music can be so expensive

I dislike that there are so many sharks and opportunists circling musicians looking for a fast buck and another hopefully artist to suck dry

I dislike that I am still not skillful enough for what I want to be able to do musically... but I love the challenge that continues to bring (classic double edged sword!)

I dislike seeing musicians being abused and taken advantage of, in any way.

20 hours ago, Just1L said:

I like getting an idea and seeing it through to completion.

I like working on something I don't think I can do and then getting it done.

I like the surprise solutions that arise during the songwriting process.

I like when I hear something in my head and it comes out better than I thought it would.

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Big butts? Hey me too..depends on how big we're talking though. I have my limits. There is a point where it's too big and I mean way before it gets to the size you could offer billboard advertisements on it. I feel myself sweating here. Did I just comment on butt size? Scuse me.

I don't get too many of the surprise solutions...wish I did. Most of my surprises aren't that great. I'm a bit envious. Cool likes!

20 hours ago, Just1L said:

I don't like jam sessions playing old songs over and over in a group.

I don't like not enjoying music as much as I did when I was young.

I don't like the realization that I will never be able to do the things I'd really want to with music.

I don't like having an idea and not being able to work on that idea for days or weeks at a time.

I don't like the fact that without leaving my family for large periods of time, I will never be able to make a living with music.

I don't like having an idea and then being unable to produce it.

Do you trend to run out of inertia on a song that takes a long time? I do.

I hope you can eventually do the things you wanted to do with music!  

The thing that strikes me most is your thoughts toward your family. Really cool dat.

John!

The likes far outnumber your dislikes. I can see your genuine focus on others here and even in the dislikes section. 

18 hours ago, john said:

I like building and evolving skills, so that music is a journey, not a destination

I really liked this one! We don't have to be satisfied where we are. If we look at like a journey the whole concept changes.

I think you're a rare bird. The type who likes to see others do well. It isn't all about me memememememe IIIIIIIIIII.......but about them. You include yourself but you have a great perspective I think.The world is so full of people who think the world revolves around them. The most mature person doesn't always ask, What's in this for ME.

18 hours ago, john said:

I dislike complacent music making

I took 15 minutes to record this on my iphone- can you people listen and tell me what you think? :)

18 hours ago, john said:

I dislike that it is so difficult to make a living as a musician and songwriter by comparison to other careers and life choices

I agree. I know of a man who is a musical genius. He's a friend of mine. He is seriously one of the most accomplished players within a 1000 mile radius of where I live. He plays gigs all the time in many genres and gives music lessons. There isn't anything I have seen him play or not do well. He lives in a small delapidated place and probably barely squeaks by financially. It just isn't right. He has played with some of the greatest symphony orchestras as a soloist and local bands.

18 hours ago, john said:

I dislike arrogant musicians

Ya...my way, me. ME. ME, MINE, I. I have a tough time collaborating with these types. I just played a session the other night. One of the worst I've ever attended. They didn't go around and ask if anyone else wanted to play. Three premadonnas pretty much commanded the show. I'll call her the " violin god" showed up and after that it was all about her.

18 hours ago, john said:

I dislike undependable musicians

Ugh...good one but bad one. Can't tell you how many times I've depended on somone and they didn't show. Left me holding the bag.

Sorry if my commentary is overboard...this is the shoot the bull section right?...well I have both barrels out.

I could go on but I'll try and save some internet for later :)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, starise said:

Do you trend to run out of inertia on a song that takes a long time?

Not really. Every song I do takes a long time. I think there has only been one where I started and had it finished in 4 or 5 hours that I'm pleased with. But, similar to my family comment, I don't get much time to work on music. Sometimes going weeks without doing anything at all because I'm running here or there with my kids, being a den leader, husband … all that jazz. Although I'm pretty much 24/7 having ideas and thoughts for songs running around in my head. I feel music will always be with me whereas my kids, while always in my thoughts and heart, won't always be physically with me so I must enjoy as much time as possible. 

I liked and agreed with every like and dislike you had as well, which made it harder for me to come up with different things. I easily could have copy and pasted your thoughts as mine although I wouldn't have come up with some of them on my own even though I do feel that way. Great post by the way, you've been posting some good ones like this lately. 

As far as eventually doing what I want with music I do think at some point I will. Now I write mainly rocking songs but I can easily see myself in the future writing a different style of tunes that would compliment my older self. Probably never a 1+1 though since I do enjoy adding other sounds and instruments and really enjoy playing them all. Especially the bass. I'm really new at it and honestly when I was younger never even understood it's purpose or how much it is necessary. The more I play and understand, the more I really love playing it.

Edited by Just1L

On 5/26/2016 at 0:33 PM, Just1L said:

Not really. Every song I do takes a long time. I think there has only been one where I started and had it finished in 4 or 5 hours that I'm pleased with. But, similar to my family comment, I don't get much time to work on music. Sometimes going weeks without doing anything at all because I'm running here or there with my kids, being a den leader, husband … all that jazz. Although I'm pretty much 24/7 having ideas and thoughts for songs running around in my head. I feel music will always be with me whereas my kids, while always in my thoughts and heart, won't always be physically with me so I must enjoy as much time as possible. 

I gotta hand it to you in being able to stick with a thought for a long period of time. My mind switches gears if I take too long getting the feel out. I realize this is not the best way to work. It's better to do it the way you do it. Sometimes I'll take the day off and spend the entire day trying to flesh something out..this has had mixed results. Usually if I feel I must get something out my creativity peters out.

I literally get grumpy if I can't get some time working on my music.This works like a medicine for me. My schedule is so busy that I grab the time when I can which is usually in the evenings. This afternoon I wrote a song and recorded it. I sang lyrics I was given to work with . It's about 90% there IMHO. I'll probably submit it for a look over. I played a picnic today on guitar, came home thinking I would just chill out with a movie and ended up recording a song...go figure.

Kudos for being involved with the kids and being a den leader. Some things are more important than our musical pursuits. My kids are grown and I am admittedly kind of a loner at heart, so I don't mind holing up and working a song for a long time in one stint. But if the project takes longer than a few days it usually fizzles out.

On 5/26/2016 at 0:33 PM, Just1L said:

As far as eventually doing what I want with music I do think at some point I will. Now I write mainly rocking songs but I can easily see myself in the future writing a different style of tunes that would compliment my older self. Probably never a 1+1 though since I do enjoy adding other sounds and instruments and really enjoy playing them all. Especially the bass. I'm really new at it and honestly when I was younger never even understood it's purpose or how much it is necessary. The more I play and understand, the more I really love playing it.

I hope you get the chance you want. I guess I'm older now, but I don't really think this is why I have deviated from the rock forms of music. I think my brain just got tired of those slamming beats and screechy guitar and I needed something more reflective. Drum programming can become really tiring on the ears after awhile. Getting the amp settings right on my electric guitars can bring on a migraine headache lol. I have an old ESP rock bass and I really dig it, but tracking it usually results in me using keys bass because it takes a lot to get it right.

On 5/27/2016 at 3:15 PM, Jenn said:

I love being able to do whatever I want, because it is my music

No one can take this away from you. I mean, if you want to play car hubcaps for drums you can, it's all up to you and I also like this freedom.You need thick skin to defy norms and not really care what anyone else thinks about it. 

ove that I can get lost in music and let it surround me

I love that you can do this. Usually when this happens to me it's the result of listening to someone else's music. I'm attending more to my song playing and construction when making the music, so I have a tough time letting it carry me like that. 

I dislike that I don't think my music is good enough and people don't like it and that I get mad at myself for putting myself down

There seems to be a constant struggle to be better with time, yet put something out there now that seems ok. When I go back to older songs I do a face palm many times. It seemed ok at the time....goes to show our standards change . It's good you have this struggle since it assures you will continue to improve.

On 5/28/2016 at 5:10 AM, Rudi said:

I like & dislike nothing. I feel nothing at present.

Rudi I answered this at length but one of the mods must have deleted because they didn't think it applied. Mod- If you deleted my post I would at least appreciate a reason why you decided to do it, thanks.

I looked at the moderation history... No one deleted a post. Are you absolutely sure you hit submit? I know I have forgotten more than once. If you are then I will need to investigate a bug. We can't have posts going missing!

5 hours ago, john said:

I looked at the moderation history... No one deleted a post. Are you absolutely sure you hit submit? I know I have forgotten more than once. If you are then I will need to investigate a bug. We can't have posts going missing!

You are right John. I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions. It all worked out since I trimmed the original a bit.

I like & dislike nothing. I feel nothing at present.

I think you mean you feel no inclination to inclinate when it comes to being a musician. I have a feeling.....no that didn't come out right. I have an inclination that this may be temporary.

• Like 1

Aww-w-w-w... this is easy.  B)

How many people, during the ordinary course of their ordinary work-day, ever get to connect with any person that they meet ... as a person?

Uh huh.

Therefore, all of us, after suffering through yet-another day (Abba's "The Day Before You  Came" comes to mind right now ...), go in search of some emotional connection.  Maybe it's just the satellite radio on the way home.  Maybe it's live music at a convenient bar as we limit ourselves (old-pharts that we by-now are ...) to one drink.

musician ... and, a songwriter ... is privileged to have the opportunity to speak to that thoroughly-anonymous person, and to do so using a product of his-or-her own personal creativity.  "Our Audience" wants to be "pleasantly surprised" for at-least the next three minutes.  "Our Audience" seeks what we may offer.

(Feelin' "pressure" now?  Uh huh.  If you're a serious artist, you should!)  However, that 'pressure' should just be what a craftsman ordinarily feels.

"Making music" is an incredible privilege ... and a driving force.  (If you "are a musician," you can never not be one ...)

Even if you never make a dime from it, you are among the most-incredibly-lucky people in the world.

On 30/05/2016 at 1:10 PM, starise said:

You are right John. I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions. It all worked out since I trimmed the original a bit.

I think you mean you feel no inclination to inclinate when it comes to being a musician. I have a feeling.....no that didn't come out right. I have an inclination that this may be temporary.

I was low when I said that. Certainly not my usual sunny self. So you are correct.

I sometimes dislike other peoples preconceptions about us. We all have preconceptions, but when you are confronted with...

1/ Those that think you are there to support a singer, and nothing else.

2/ Guitarists that think I'm not trying hard enough if I dont play fast & technically.

3/ Venue owners that are tin-pot Hitlers and think they can ban you from the whole parish if you don't kiss their ass.

4/ and there's probably a number 4 too.

5/ ...maybe even a number 5.

What I like?

The simple pleasure of phrasing 3 notes in such a way that moves me.

I'm not going to lie to you...I have more low days than up days. I simply cover it well.

I think I might have picked up on that as I see it myself frequently. In the end I think it's what is in us to do what we do and let the chips fall where they will. For what it's worth, you have some excellent material posted to Soundcloud....music to be proud of. You didn't buy plays, you did it because you liked doing it right? In those terms you are a sounding success my friend!! :) 

I see pride a long way off, and admittedly maybe this is because I also see it in myself at times. So I don't deal well with those prema  donna's either. 

On 5/30/2016 at 0:59 PM, john said:

worries, it happens :)

Thanks for understanding John!

On 6/2/2016 at 0:22 AM, MikeRobinson said:

Therefore, all of us, after suffering through yet-another day (Abba's "The Day Before You  Came" comes to mind right now ...), go in search of some emotional connection.  Maybe it's just the satellite radio on the way home.  Maybe it's live music at a convenient bar as we limit ourselves (old-pharts that we by-now are ...) to one drink.

musician ... and, a songwriter ... is privileged to have the opportunity to speak to that thoroughly-anonymous person, and to do so using a product of his-or-her own personal creativity.  "Our Audience" wants to be "pleasantly surprised" for at-least the next three minutes.  "Our Audience" seeks what we may offer.

Great points all!!

On 5/30/2016 at 2:31 PM, RobAsh15 said:

What value should one place on getting lucky enough to find the love of a lifetime?

What value should one place on being able to take up doing the thing you have loved most for your whole life, but thought you would never do again?

What sacrifice would you see as being worth the price to pay to return to doing something you love with all your heart?

What amazing points Rob. You covered a lot of territory I hadn't thought of. The above thought really makes me sit still and ponder.

this is a little off forum .

I have always loved music as long as I can remember . drives my wife nuts that I am always humming some sort of tune . but will not blame anyone , never had the gumption to learn an instrument , or the brains to write anything meaningful . here is the reason I am writing this

I became a plasterer through an apprenticeship .( someone who puts the stucco on the walls  for American reference ) from the very first day I loved it now forty plus years on still love it . never had a day when I did not want to be at work plastering

had days when I did n't want to be with the people I worked with . but we all have those days .  I think it must be the same as being a musician it must be great to play . sing write what ever it is you do . so having things you hate ? would  have thought the thing you love would counter act all of that ,

just my 2pence worth

john

scotsman89 you have such a great outlook on life and music. Of course, the music does counter act much of the supposedly bad things that we musicians go through, or else we wouldn't do it. In some cases our music is our expression of it. The position has some baggage that comes along with it. I think some of that baggage is part of being or attempting to be creative.

I believe an accurate description gets very complicated from here because no two people are alike. Some personality studies done indicate common threads in so called creative people. If you were to search traits of creative people I'm sure you will come across a lot of info on it.

We as a group tend to me more introspective and less social. We tend to be inclined to mood cycles or swings. I can only speak for myself and others I see around me who I know. I'm sure there are exceptions and many people are experts at masking the real self.

I believe much of this is genetic. I need to constantly work to hold myself in a positive frame of mind. Optimism doesn't come naturally and could be more associated with the realist world view. I think what I see in the world gives little reason for throwing a party, in fact, most of the world is a big facade. The only real things are usually rejected in lieu of the fake things. This isn't to say  I can't experience pockets of happiness. I'm not the least proud that this is the way I am, but this is how I am and I accept and deal with it. I have learned how to cope the best I can. Much of the time I'm a pretend optimist. I find that if I force myself to try and see things in the best light I feel better, at least for a little while.

Given the choice I would be in a personal space somewhere attentive to something I like...much like the plastering example you gave. I can't handle too much social interaction and prefer more time alone. I don't hate or dislike people, it's just how I am.

I think it has already been said that art is many times borne of struggle. Some of the best songs come from a tragedy. Sadness trumps happiness. In order to be an eternal optimist I think one must engineer their thinking to avoid the pitfalls of negativity. This would likely involve the idea that " ignorance is bliss". On the other hand the melancholic pessimist needs to learn to stop and smell the roses along the way. I rely on a higher power to strengthen me. I have long ago realized that my efforts are futile.

I admire those with such a bright outlook, especially those who come by it naturally. 

I sure don't intend on this to go the direction of a pity party...wah boo hoo hoo lol!  I hope I'm in the minority on this. I really do. I want to see people who are so happy we can't hold them down!! :)

• Like 1