Your Ad Could Be Here

Release Music - Genres

34 minutes ago, Just1L said:

I have not seen this. Is this something in the pay version? I've never not entered something in the genre though so I should give that a try.

Just tried it and there was no auto genre suggestion.

Might be paid only. I had to start paying, ran out of space. It's an amusing but useless feature. 

12 minutes ago, Richard Tracey said:

What you could do. Look and see which genre is getting the most hype just now and try and do one song in that style to see if you like it or not. Post it on SoundCloud and possibly YouTube and see what happens.

Interesting idea Richard, but I really don't want to approach this purely based on what's hot or not (actually the genre with most hype will probably be most full...so that kind of works against the niche idea). It has to be something I'm into, a genre I really like and feel connected to. And... on Souncloud the biggest thing is always hip hop... I have worked with a rapper and was actually planning to again, but... not hip hop as such... that's just not me... and I've not gone totally David Brent YET ;) 

I liked Hip Hop in the earlier days, but now it is just a mess ('to me - before anyone has a go at me) and there is far too much of it and not very good. You get the odd gem, but my god I feel it needs to die and be reborn with new original ideas, the way it was in the beginning. I can't stand hearing about how many 'bitches' have did this and that and how many people they have killed.... write something original :censored2:

20 hours ago, HoboSage said:

The genre selections on Soundcloud are just tags for searches.  You can choose "Custom" and put in anything you want for the main genre. You can also add any addtional tags you want.  The more tags you have, the more search hits you'll have.  Is a narrowed accuracy for such tags really desirable?

I think you can add your own tags that you feel is closest to your style of music (make something up if you want) and a lot of the normal tags. What I don't like is people putting their music into categories that don't really relate to their music, just because they are trying to get as many hits as possible. I also get fed up with the spammers!! You think somebody has listened to and liked your song and it is just someone trying to get you to join or like their group or get 100,000 hits.... or the ones that want to show me a good time!!!!:D

On 1/26/2017 at 10:28 PM, MonoStone said:

If I take my last song... So far people have commented it has A BIT of - Pink Floyd (as always, no idea why), Tears For Fears (really?), Robbie Robertson (I wish), Talk Talk (yeah, if only), Duran Duran (Eh?), Gorillaz (Well at least that's nearer the present day)... who knows... When I uploaded it to Soundcloud without a genre, Soundcloud did the automatic genre suggestions thing it does these days (seen that?) and told me it was 'Smooth Jazz'....

Add 'Sade' to the list ;)  That's the latest comparison. Thing is, I really like Sade... and all the others above...but never thought any would make it into my stuff. It kind of freaks me out that people can tell what I like by listening to a song I've done. I mean I can't hear Sade in it... weird...

Just sayin.... 

14 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

Add 'Sade' to the list ;)  That's the latest comparison. Thing is, I really like Sade... and all the others above...but never thought any would make it into my stuff. It kind of freaks me out that people can tell what I like by listening to a song I've done. I mean I can't hear Sade in it... weird...

On January 26, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Just1L said:

Thats the thing, I don't really care to sound like anyone but I have went searching for rock bands that sound similar. I've had comments on my songs ranging from Joe Walsh, to Ozzy, one Arcade Fire reference, Cheap Trick a few times and several punk rock comparisons. So what the hell do I do with that. LOL  Maybe it's called Mishmash Rock. :)

I'll see your Sade and raise you one Led Zeppelin. :)  Yeah, some I get, some I don't. In the end, I don't know what to make of it other than the frightening "if it sounds like something else, it means they've heard it before" thought. Luckily, I just made that up. haha

Randy - I think every song will have elements that people think they have heard before. Consciously or sub-consciously, we will write music that we like. It may have elements of things we have heard years before and liked. You play a chord and the another and before you know it, you are starting to play the chords to another song, because your mind knows that it has heard that before.

That is why people like familiarity, it makes them feel safe, but it also means they will know they will like it.

2 hours ago, MonoStone said:

Just sayin.... 

Dek, can I just tell you..... I cannot hear any Sade influences in your music. None whatsoever.

Archived