Your Ad Could Be Here

Just to butt into this conversation. I use Logic and love it, but it does my head in the amount of times it crashes due to system overload - you have to constantly keep freezing tracks on look to turn them to audio if you feel they are complete.

Yesterday I was with the producer and he uses both Logic and Reaper, although he exports everything into Reaper to do the arrangement and mixing as he finds it easier and quicker to manage and I have to say, watching what he was doing it did look a lot easier and, it is a big AND, it doesn't bloody crash no matter how many tracks you have!!!!!!

So, I might look at getting Reaper to supplement Logic.

Reaper is bare bones and doesn't come with a lot, so you need to purchase vst's etc.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richard could it be you need more memory in your computer? System overload would seem to indicate something like a buffer overload or programs fighting for memory.

Almost for sure Logic is a heavier program than Reaper. More taxing on resources.

I'm going out the door again. I'll try not to let it hit me on the posterior.

OK I'm thinking you're comparing the stripped down iPad/iPhone app of GB. 16 Tracks? If that were true I'd have left GB long, long ago. I can have up to 255 recorded instrument tracks plus. I've had many, many master controls for years Regardless, I did start going through your post describing all the falsehoods in it but then thought maybe you were only talking about the stripped down version … you had to be. I do know that Logic, Reaper and a lot of other DAWs are better than Garageband. I guess it depends on one's needs. Who would buy Logic if it didn't have more stuff than GB. But some of the things you were describing I've been doing in GB for years. 

There is one thing you mentioned that did pique my interest.

4 hours ago, starise said:

Logic lets you see multiple takes all at once and makes it easier to arrange and record takes to a timeline.

Now, this is interesting to me. I can set GB to easily do muti-takes and I could do 50 without ever having my hands leave the guitar. Once the first take is complete, it auto-creates a small folder and each take is accessed through a drop down menu within the recorded section. So when I want to check out the takes I select the one I want to listen to and listen to it. But, and it's a big butt and I cannot lie, I can't see all 50 takes at once. I'm curious how this works because so far, this is the first thing I see that I do wish I could do.

4 hours ago, starise said:

Most more advanced Daws are now adding Mastering features. We all need to master our work, so having that as a part of the main program get's you there all in one program.In Garageband you might need to export to something else unless they have a preset which isn't always the best fit.

Lots of things we didn't get into. Multiband compression, dynamic EQ's, advanced cross metering to make sure the track sits ok on all formats with respect to limit ceilings.DC offset, track polarity, sound coloring options, like tube or console emulation. Graphic representations of audio so you can see where some problems might be located that you can't necessarily pinpoint using only your ears. 

GB's had all these and more for years.

It is kind of fascinating that you didn't think GB had a lot of the stuff you mentioned. It doesn't have everything you mentioned but quite a bit of it. But if you were solely talking about the app and not the desktop application, I'll take your word for it.

2 hours ago, starise said:

Richard could it be you need more memory in your computer? System overload would seem to indicate something like a buffer overload or programs fighting for memory.

Almost for sure Logic is a heavier program than Reaper. More taxing on resources.

I'm going out the door again. I'll try not to let it hit me on the posterior.

Ive got 16gb which is more than required, it is a known fault with Logic and affects everyone at some point. 

3 hours ago, Just1L said:

OK I'm thinking you're comparing the stripped down iPad/iPhone app of GB. 16 Tracks? If that were true I'd have left GB long, long ago. I can have up to 255 recorded instrument tracks plus. I've had many, many master controls for years Regardless, I did start going through your post describing all the falsehoods in it but then thought maybe you were only talking about the stripped down version … you had to be. I do know that Logic, Reaper and a lot of other DAWs are better than Garageband. I guess it depends on one's needs. Who would buy Logic if it didn't have more stuff than GB. But some of the things you were describing I've been doing in GB for years. 

I have that version on my iPad. I don't typically use Garageband, so I don't know all about it. I know it's a reduced version of Logic. What do you mean by "master controls"? I'm glad someone who uses it stepped up to tell us about it. I already knew it was a good beginner program and capable of recording good tracks. I think your songs sound good using it, but it ain't no Logic and I guess that was my point. I investigated it a bit more because you kinda made me curious about what's been improved on in it. It seems they have added a bunch to it. I read a few comparisons to Logic online to see just what it does and doesn't have.

"Better" is a relative term I guess depending on what a persons needs and wants are. If you like GB,then for you, nothing else is necessarily better. If you haven't outgrown it, then why look elsewhere? I don't mean this in a condescending way at all. Maybe you don't need the extra tools in Logic. It would appear you don't. 

Now, this is interesting to me. I can set GB to easily do muti-takes and I could do 50 without ever having my hands leave the guitar. Once the first take is complete, it auto-creates a small folder and each take is accessed through a drop down menu within the recorded section. So when I want to check out the takes I select the one I want to listen to and listen to it. But, and it's a big butt and I cannot lie, I can't see all 50 takes at once. I'm curious how this works because so far, this is the first thing I see that I do wish I could do.

I only read about this. It reminds me of "take lanes" in Sonar. In Sonar it collapses the takes, so you could record 100 runs of the same part until you get it right. The collapsed track contains all of the takes. If you expand the track the takes show up. You can then select which parts of each take you like best and combine them the best parts. I seldom use it, because I would rather just get one decent full take, but lots of people do use it. I believe it's a similar thing in Logic.

It is kind of fascinating that you didn't think GB had a lot of the stuff you mentioned. It doesn't have everything you mentioned but quite a bit of it. But if you were solely talking about the app and not the desktop application, I'll take your word for it.

I see the iPad version is different from the Mac version. I admit I didn't know they were that much different. I think for Pahchisme it's probably plenty. For you though, I'm not sure, since I don't know what you'll see as useful . It can't be denied there is a difference in features in any company daw lineup between the basic and advanced  versions. You seem perfectly content with what you have and I'm not attempting to be persuasive. That's a choice you need to make for yourself. 

What does GB export? I've always been under the impression that it keeps file types in the Mac domain. If this is true, then whatever PC daw user you collab with, they need to be able to import or convert those "apple only" files. 

18 hours ago, starise said:

What do you mean by "master controls"? I'm glad someone who uses it stepped up to tell us about it. I already knew it was a good beginner program and capable of recording good tracks. I think your songs sound good using it, but it ain't no Logic and I guess that was my point. I investigated it a bit more because you kinda made me curious about what's been improved on in it. It seems they have added a bunch to it. I read a few comparisons to Logic online to see just what it does and doesn't have.

To start with they have Master pre-sets. I've always updated my older versions so I can't say for sure if what I'm about to say is true for those that install GB for the first time. But, on my computer there are roughly 12-15 Master presets with the new version. The part I'm not sure for a new install … I also have in the Master area a folder called Legacy Garageband. In that there are folders of genres (i.e. rock, r&b, classical, etc…) each of those contain anywhere from 5 to 15 pre-sets. So I would say there is roughly 30-40 to use. I never ONLY use those though.

Normally I will go through the pre-sets and just check out how they sound when I click on them. Once I find the closest one to the sound I'm looking for I select it. Then I can go into all of the non-preset master features, Shelf Limiters, Compression, dynamic EQ … honestly I have to go back and look. I don't use them all. Which is really the point I was saying, and you were saying with the beginner comment I reckon. There are roughly 12-20 different mastering tools and I use about 3 or 4 of them, 5 if I'm feeling frisky. Hence my reluctance to switch to Logic currently. I could pay $200 and start learning them, or I can learn them on the $40 version. Yeah, my songs are okay sounding I reckon but I know they can be better for sure once I actually use all the tools at my disposal, and use them correctly. Or I can send my songs off to be mastered by someone who actually knows what they are doing. Which if affordable, is the best option for me.

18 hours ago, starise said:

What does GB export? I've always been under the impression that it keeps file types in the Mac domain. If this is true, then whatever PC daw user you collab with, they need to be able to import or convert those "apple only" files. 

There are a few options to export with different bit rates, etc… I know there is an aiff. format as well as .wav I believe and a couple others. I can also send the song straight from Garageband to Soundcloud. Although honestly, I think it sounds better when I export at 128 and upload it myself. Not sure why that is. User error more than likely. I do know that both places I've looked into for mastering said I can just send them the .aiff file for them to use. 

So yeah, I think why I'm the way I am is because for now it's truly all I need. Plug in the guitar, bass, microphone and sing/play away. Drums I use a virtual drummer for which I haven't really even cracked the surface of so that will keep me busy for a while. I'd imagine the only way I'll switch is if I absolutely have to. And one day I might have to. But for now, I'm just going to GB away with my Garage Band style rock. I guess for me it's a perfect fit, but certainly not for everyone.

I am glad it works well for you. 

I think if I were using a program and liked the results I might wonder why someone called it "beginner software". 

I didn't know what else to call it. What would you recommend?  :D

Maybe that term is relative in this case. Not a word I use very often when referring to much of anything. But I think maybe here it fits. You have to start somewhere. Lots of people seem to start there, but they also start on more complicated programs. Beginners can be beginners either way. Growing into or out of something is another issue....and I'm really sounding text book boring about now.

No matter what, some will see it as a launching point and others will cut albums using  it. I'm glad you like it!

Archived