Your Ad Could Be Here

How do you compose?

• 2 months later...

I hate using metronomes so I start with drum first. A metronome (I don't really know if it is the right english word, my native language is dutch, but its the think that helps you not going off beat) 

I used it for the few drums I made myself and then I add other things without the annoying thing. Really when I was 12 year old and composed songs on my keyboard I already hated the stupid thing. Most people use it to stay in line with the beat, if I dare to use it you can be sure I will go off beat. I hate the freaking thing.

So when I made two drum sets I had to use it to at least be sure the drum was in the right beat. But now I use loop drums which I buy that are copyright free.  Thank God for those drums. I will never need to use the stupid metronome thing again.

So yeah I start with the drum because it helps me stay on beat. Most of the time then I add the bass. I really do not have any system, I just add things that come up in my mind. I never really have a plan when I start creating music. The only plan I have is: not using the freaking metronome.

• 1 month later...
  • Noob

I usually start with some catchy melody or rhythm progression on guitar or keyboard, which I then build upon. Some basic drum pattern comes to my mind same time as doing the rhythm or melody. I usually add drums last to the song based on the bass line.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I always start with a vocal , usually from a sample CD or internet

once i know the tempo & key i start to build up around it

basic drums & then chords & add as i go along

Sometimes i use Melodyn to add a harmony to the vocals

then try to get it all to sit in the mix thats the hard part

some songs are crap others listenable 

Archived