Your Ad Could Be Here

Fantasy Instruments

FinnArild

Got a 'for instance' example?

Over the last ten years?

A quick trawl of my forgettory comes up with a whole slew of live performances of "professional new music" that have tingled my toes and shivered my timbers and fired my creative juices as well as the giveaway throbbing metaphorical aesthetic erection...... Hermeto Pascoal, Caetano Veloso, Dave Holland, Take 6, Bill Frisell, John Scofield, Pat Coleman, Jim Hall, Keith Jarrett, Bill Charlap, Chick Corea, Doug Riley with Pat LaBarbara, Renee Rosnes, Bob Murphy, Brent Jarvis, Brad Meldhau, Vocal Sampling, Los Van Van, Steve Reich, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins, Marta Sebastien, Joe Henderson, Ross Taggart, Phil Dwyer, Monik Nordine, Tim Whitehead, Michael Brecker, Mark Ramsden, Jan Garbarek, Pat Metheny, Trilok Gurtu, Roy Haynes, Andy Narell, Tony Genge, Bulgarian State Women's Choir, Bobby McFerrin, Kurt Elling, Anne Schaefer, Michel Camilo.... and I know there's more, just as I know I'm a lucky guy to have been there at those moments.

If your thinking recorded music, then a lot of my significant choices are going to repeat the same names - so let me just add a few more whose CDs have particularly knocked me out... Zeca Pagodinho "Jura"; Maria Bethania and Vinicius Moraes "Que Falta Voce Me Faz"; Grupo Fundo de Quintal "A Batucada Dos Nossos Tantas"; Gavin Bryars "Jesus Blod Never Failed Me Yet"; Little Axe "The Wolf That House Built"; Walter Becker "Eleven Tracks of Whack", Joe Zawinul "My People", Rachelle Ferrell "First Instrument"; Ralph Towner "Anthem"..... sorry, I just knocked over that pile of CDs ... and I could go on but it would get boring, I'm sure.... and you get the idea.

Is that any use?

Over the last ten years?

A quick trawl of my forgettory comes up with a whole slew of live performances of "professional new music" that have tingled my toes and shivered my timbers and fired my creative juices as well as the giveaway throbbing metaphorical aesthetic erection...... Hermeto Pascoal, Caetano Veloso, Dave Holland, Take 6, Bill Frisell, John Scofield, Pat Coleman, Jim Hall, Keith Jarrett, Bill Charlap, Chick Corea, Doug Riley with Pat LaBarbara, Renee Rosnes, Bob Murphy, Brent Jarvis, Brad Meldhau, Vocal Sampling, Los Van Van, Steve Reich, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins, Marta Sebastien, Joe Henderson, Ross Taggart, Phil Dwyer, Monik Nordine, Tim Whitehead, Michael Brecker, Mark Ramsden, Jan Garbarek, Pat Metheny, Trilok Gurtu, Roy Haynes, Andy Narell, Tony Genge, Bulgarian State Women's Choir, Bobby McFerrin, Kurt Elling, Anne Schaefer, Michel Camilo.... and I know there's more, just as I know I'm a lucky guy to have been there at those moments.

If your thinking recorded music, then a lot of my significant choices are going to repeat the same names - so let me just add a few more whose CDs have particularly knocked me out... Zeca Pagodinho "Jura"; Maria Bethania and Vinicius Moraes "Que Falta Voce Me Faz"; Grupo Fundo de Quintal "A Batucada Dos Nossos Tantas"; Gavin Bryars "Jesus Blod Never Failed Me Yet"; Little Axe "The Wolf That House Built"; Walter Becker "Eleven Tracks of Whack", Joe Zawinul "My People", Rachelle Ferrell "First Instrument"; Ralph Towner "Anthem"..... sorry, I just knocked over that pile of CDs ... and I could go on but it would get boring, I'm sure.... and you get the idea.

Is that any use?

First of all thankyou for all that.

Second of all, most of these artists have been around for a great deal longer than 10 years, and though they may continue to innovate, they may not have innovated in outside of thier already broad sphere. And even if they have, I was speaking of popular music, or music of popular continuity, which seems to just tread water. Sorry for the confusion.

most of these artists have been around for a great deal longer than 10 years

Of course, you are right. But I think they had to be around for a while first before any claims they were adding something "new" as well as professional to the great river of tradition. I guess most of 'em are knocking on a bit. Joe Henderson is dead now, for example. And Sonny won't be far behind. Loads of other old guys in that list, too. And those that aren't old are definitely middle-aged. With kids and household expenses. But making new music every time they play is what they do professionally, and none of them seemed to have slowed down any in that department.

The Jim Hall I heard last year was a frail old bent geezer who looked like a neighbourhood cobbler but, instead of the cool and tasty interplay of that same trio thirty years previous, he played a solid body fender of some description standing up the whole time and only crouching down to adjust his electrickery. Wow. Seventy-five years old and he is still seeking and finding new sounds. Spontaneous improvisations, Ornette tunes... the guy was "out". A year before that I caught up with Mark Murphy for what also might turn out to be the last time. He'd already turned seventy and to tell you the truth I wasn't expecting much. Most times before I found the tendency towards cabaret schtick just too wearying. And the wigs are hard to take seriously. But this time was the finest I have ever seen him. Breaking new ground in performance like he has no time to mess around any more. And how about Roy Haynes on this sunner's circuit. Good grief, guys. I have Charlie Parker ecords with Haynes playing. Celebrated his eightieth that March and yet he played like an eighteen year old. Nothing dated or old in his approach. All new. Nothing short of amazing.

Speaking of popular music, you could be right. I just don't spend a great deal of time listening to it. Maybe for that very reason. Every now and then I'll make a studied effort to check out something that's supposed to be happening, but haven't found much yet. Couple of months ago I finally got around to listening to that dead guy's "Smells Like Teen Spirit", for example. While it's obvious even to me that Nirvana captured some sort of zeitgeist that was abroad and out there at the time, I'm fortunately way out of the loop on all that kind of stuff and just didn't get it.

Meanwhile, I'm still thinking about your term "music of popular continuity", Rudi.

I think it may be an oxymoron.

I have searched long and hard to find artists/music of worth. Of course they are there, but they often need hunting down ( a saucer of milk doesnt work). Individual musical journeys mostly end with the life of the individual. Most of us cant get to where they are without a similar kind of investment. Even then, its the individuality of musicians that interests me more.

If JS Bach's contributions still havnt been assimilated by now, what chance does Anthony Braxton have?

As for the oxymoron :rolleyes.gif , I was thinking of stuff everybody still knows but doesnt do much about. ie: cinema musicals or George Fornby etc.

A thought about the last sentence. My favourite lyric of Elvis Costello is his song 'This Is Hell' from 'Brutal Youth'. There is a line that goes:-

"My Favourite things are playing again & again,

but its by Julie Andrews & not by John Coltrane...".

Edited by Rudi

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I might just have to support the Gorrilaz a bit quickly... Although they have the Cartoon front, they do have actual talent (not just machines) behind... Such as Damon Albarn... But i would agree that their popularity might provoke more bands along those lines, which, looking at the amount of fakery involved with 'real' performers lip syncing etc is going downhill... As long as the whole cartoon front stays with Gorrilaz then I think they're just fine... Personally I'm not much of a fan, but I had to defend them, well actually more just Damon, but there we go... :P

As for fantasy instruments, I can't think of anything new... :( All I want is a theremin, cause with that, my WAH, and my BackTalk I could drive ANYONE insane! :D

Rohan

• 4 months later...

If you guys are talking about mind helmets and gloves that change the sound according to what position your hands in then i'd think it'd be called future instruments. Fantasy reminds me of old instruments like harp, marimba, ocarina etc. DJ is the newest form of instrument IMO. I don't know what you'd call it percussion, string, wind?? I think it's in it's own category ^_^ I've heard it's like the hardest instrument to learn but once you get the hang of it, it can be the easiest instrument [smiley=bounce.gif]

I think the most annoying or limited instruments are banjo and accordian, maybe organ but not as much. But yeah that's just my opinion.

Right now i'm working on first song, it will be pure piano :) It's turning out pretty good so far but i'm stumpt cause the last part isn't turning out right :( I hope I can fix that soon and get in on here ASAP!

Sorry i'm going a little off topic here, don't got much else to do :P

~TIMOTHY~