Your Ad Could Be Here

hello I"m new here

mwil1973

My name is Michael but you can call me mike or hey you if you like. I live in El Paso, Texas.

So, here a bit of information on how I got started on this musical journey. It seems a bit strange that after forty two years of life, that I would suddenly have a desire to create music. but that is what has happened. I don’t know how to play any instruments and it is not something I had ever aspired to before (aside from the occasional teenage rock n’ roll fantasies). However, sometime in April of 2015, words started forming in my mind and I believed them to be a song. It was a love song for my wife.  So I wrote it down and sang it into my phone. I remembered that my Mac had a program on it called GarageBand on it and wondered if it would allow me to put music to it. It did, and so I had written my first song. Once I finished I thought it was over. The song itself was OK, not great but it came from the heart and that is what matters to me. In September of that year I wrote a second song. I was inspired after watching the Foo Fighters Sonic Highways where one interview really caught my attention. Tony Joe White said these words "So if you've got somethin' in your heart, put it out, 'cause nobody on this whole planet has wrote those words or played that lick before. No matter if it's bad or good or it sells or don't sell. You wrote it and you did it...Write what's in your heart." Since that time I have been writing and hopefully getting better. I still don't know how to play any instruments but I enjoy writing lyrics, finding a melody and trying to put music to it.

• Like 2

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Songstuff! I don't play an instrument either but can sing melodies to my lyrics. I have found a few folks here on Songstuff that liked my lyrics and helped me put music and create songs as collaborations. I wish you success in your continued journey! I hope you like it here as much as I do.

See you on the boards,

Lisa

• Like 1

Hi Mike, the writing bug has to start somewhere, sometime, right?  I'm a late bloomer, too.  It wasn't until I got tired of sharing my songs with vocals only that I decided to learn acoustic guitar.  That was only after 3+ years of writing.  Its never too late to express your creativity.  You might be surprised how it opens new interests in instruments for you to support where you want to go creatively.  Have fun with it!

• Like 1