Your Ad Could Be Here

Behind the Smoke & Mirrors of the Online World

YouTube knows it has a problem and is in the wrong, so what better solution than to buy their way out of it.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/youtube-reportedly-curbing-musician-criticism-133000669.html

30 minutes ago, Just1L said:

YouTube knows it has a problem and is in the wrong, so what better solution than to buy their way out of it.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/youtube-reportedly-curbing-musician-criticism-133000669.html

Again

48 minutes ago, fasstrack said:

Wow!

Will those snakes stop at nothing?

Geez, Louise...

Ima say … No. 

15 minutes ago, fasstrack said:

His (Ives's) real name: Claude Knight! AND (not that I believed this shaky relater of the tale) he ran into a teenaged friend years ago on the road---and hit on him*.

* Not sure if he paid or took any 'lucre' for the desired 'transaction', though (;

I'd say he had a Holly Jolly Christmas that year. haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Speaking personally, I've found they do police copyright. I don't know what their profit-sharing from advertising is or the follow-up sales on iTunes from the links Youtube adds to copyrighted content, and it wouldn't surprise me if artists aren't happy but I've had mashups blocked almost immediately because it was copyrighted content. This must be Youtube's policing at work to be so quick.

"Such non-disparagement agreements are common in business, but as the sources cited note, YouTube's biggest direct competitors in the music biz don't use them."

This is hardly Youtube's fault. It's common in business, so the problem is for the competitors. I've heard managers of bands who came from the business world express frustration that the music biz doesn't work like other businesses.

I don't want to defend Youtube - they are just another bunch of capitalists - but I just posted a link in another thread to Courtney Love's old Salon article on downloading, what's in a recording contract and who was really ripping off musicians. Youtube isn't doing anything the music business itself hasn't been doing for decades. And record companies have been complaining about their cut ever since the MP3 signalled the death of filler.

What I was interested in from the article is who are the artists who took the bribes? I presume they're the bigger artists, who can afford lawyers and get their gripes heard by the music press, so once again the little guys get overlooked. Ironically, Youtube helped level the playing field for the little guys.

Archived