Your Ad Could Be Here

What instrument do you use generally when composing?

Andy235

9 times out of 10 I use the guitar, finding a riff or something while plucking around away from the computer. After I have something I like and want to start recording, the first thing I do is find a drum beat I like and adjust the bpm to the speed I want based on the guitar riff/part I'm playing. It's just so much more fun playing to a drum beat.

Different strokes for different folks; everyone's process is different.

I do find that I write differently on the piano than I do on the guitar. Just getting a different kind of sound on a synth can lead to a fresh approach. I wish I had a warehouse full of instruments - I am sure getting sounds from all those puppies would spawn bunches of songs. And, of course, sometimes just singing a melody that pops into your head can generate a song.

Which reminds me! I have a bunch of piano based tunes I need to finish up. They just keep getting pushed back in the queue because songs keep popping in my head while I noodle on my guitar. :hammer:

I write what I hear, too (in my head). But, for whatever reason, certain sounds can trigger the process for me. This happens listening to music and playing instruments or jingling my keys, or singing to my dog (yes, I do this, lol), etc., etc. Sometimes just the way my voice sounds in a certain acoustic space creates a vibe that can spark my creative process.

Sometimes I even dream songs. 

Edited by TCgypsy

• Editors

I know only how to play the guitar so that naturally becomes my go-to companion for songwriting. I am learning the piano a little at the school where I teach singing. And trying to write songs on the piano is a much different experience compared to the former. Very interesting to be aware of how your muse responds to different instruments. 

On 3/9/2018 at 7:40 AM, RealKevM said:

An acoustic guitar which I have handy at all times (well at home anyway) lol.

It's interesting you say that because I used to put all of my guitars in cases after I was done. Naturally, this 'discipline' (for lack of a better word) kept my guitars in awesome condition. However, having to go to the "guitar closet" drag a case out depending on which one I thought I might play put a damper on my creativity. The only guitar I keep in the case at all times now is my expensive classical guitar because it's a delicate instrument. I have a couple multiguitar stands occupied by various types of guitar and my bass, but I also have a cheesy light $15 stand that I have in easy reach right with a guitar on it. I rotate which guitar gets to sit on the cheesy stand but the ability to grab it and find what pops into my head or respond to inspiration helps pave the way to songwriting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Noob
On 4/13/2018 at 5:27 PM, TCgypsy said:

I keep waiting for someone to say "kazoo" - the most overlooked instrument in modern songwriting...

I actually use that when I'm arranging/composing, but I usually don't compose.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a guitarist who can play a little piano and I found I wrote more melodically on the piano. It's the "keep it simple, stupid" principle. I noticed a singer I wrote with only knew a few guitar chords to strum but he'd come up with more melodic melodies than me, because I thought in guitar scale terms. The piano got rid of that thinking.

When I did write on guitar, I'd try to pick out the melody, which would force me to confront the scaley bits and think about where the melody could jump about a bit more, the way Paul McCartney does so bloody effortlessly, the showoff.

• 3 months later...