Your Ad Could Be Here

When writing vocal harmony parts

The band Yes is a big influence on my vocal harmonies. There are, of course, many other bands with great vocal harmonies such as Journey and Heart. I also like Jazz harmonies (i.e., Manhattan Transfer) although I rarely employ them in my songs. I did use some jazz harmony in my song Gone.

In most songs, I prefer harmonies in certain places. I try not to overuse any device including harmonies.

I hear the harmonies in my head. If I think a song needs harmonies somewhere but I am not hearing it, yet, I will generally go ahead and just put the song up on Soundcloud anyway, and get some feedback. I come back to the song and add harmonies after I can 'hear' them. I rarely use a clinical approach (even though I do understand the theory). I let the theory support what I do but never to drive the creative process although I imagine it's at work on some level all the time.

Peace,

TC

Archived