Your Ad Could Be Here

Heart Shaped Box (Nirvana) - alternative version

Hi everyone. When I started working on this cover song arrangement I was feeling completely stuck. Normally all ideas come to my mind when I wake up in the morning or when I'm walking. This time I was sitting at my keyboard trying to find something. And normally it never works.  Then suddenly I found out the main parts (bass, guitar, drums) for the verses and the development for the chorus. In a couple of hours I completed the first version. I don't think it is going to happen again in the future. :)

I've always loved "Heart Shaped Box". Great song, great lyrics and melody. But I have never loved that part in which Kobain was repeating "forever in debt to your priceless advice".

During the production in studio it became more aggressive than in the first versions. That was suggested by the 2 sound engineers we work with but it was ok for us. We like it.

This is one of my favourites. I'd like to know your opinion. :) 

Roberto

On 13/3/2018 at 7:06 PM, Rob Ash said:

This is almost a new song. It goes well beyond just retooling, I think. This is really taking the idea of making a cover uniquely yours to the extreme. In my opinion at least, in a very satisfying way.

With your posts here, Roberto, an interesting thought occurred to me... When the songs you have covered here first came out, they were considered avant garde. Yet you describe what you have done here as representing an "alternative" version to these songs. Taken literally I agree. But the genre these songs were originally said to have belonged to was also called "alternative" rock.

An interesting juxtaposition.

Hi Rob. Thanks again for your comments! 

You are right. The word "alternative" may not be the best one. I think that the main problem is our poor knowledge of the english language and of the jargon used in the music business.

It has always been difficult for me understanding the differences between sub-genres. Anytime I see things like post/neo/nu/new/alt/indie I get confused. I'm too old :)

When we decided that we wanted to have a youtube channel we wondered how we could tell the people what they could find inside it. Saying that they could find "rock covers" seemed to be too generic. "Metal covers" would have been ok for some of our covers but not for all of them. At start we were using the expression "alternative metal" because some of the arrangement are inspired by Korn and Rammstein and we saw somewhere that they were both labeled as "alternative metal". At the end we decided that "alternative rock covers" was good enough. We've seen that the expression "alternative rock" is used like a synonym of "indie rock" and the presence of "metal" characteristics was included (for example Linkin Park).

In the case of "Heart Shaped Box" I had the same thought of yours. "This is already labeled as alternative rock.

F**" :)

Therefore in the title I only wrote "alternative version".

In italian the word "alternativo" has the same meaning of the english "alternative". We use it with the meaning of  "from a different point of view".

I don't know if there could be a better way of classifying this covers. Do you have suggestions? A better name for this kind of product? We would really appreciate your help.

And we also have a problem with the use of the word "cover". In italy this kind of works are called "derivative works". But this project started inspired by the cover of "Imagine" (Lennon) created by "A Perfect Circle". That work is actually a "derivative work" but everybody say that it's a cover. Do you think we should use a different term?

Roberto

This is way cool! (Please imagine the two raised hands emoji) I agree that its almost a new song, but I LOVE it when people do that with their covers. I listen to covers because I want to hear it different, if I wanted to listen to the same song I'd listen to the original, so I think what youve done with this is just hella cool (happy face emoji)

On 14/3/2018 at 11:37 PM, Rob Ash said:

if self promotion means anything to you guys.

So, carry on, by all means, my friend.

:turned:

Thanks Rob. As long as we have energies we will carry on :) Promotion is a very boring activity. At the moment we are just posting on social networks. Maybe in the future we are going to have a more structured approach. At the moment we need to improve the quality of our production.

have a nice day :) 

Roberto

On 15/3/2018 at 7:07 AM, Alia Cj Spring said:

This is way cool! (Please imagine the two raised hands emoji) I agree that its almost a new song, but I LOVE it when people do that with their covers. I listen to covers because I want to hear it different, if I wanted to listen to the same song I'd listen to the original, so I think what youve done with this is just hella cool (happy face emoji)

Hi Alia. Thanks a lot and very nice to meet you here :) I love your talking. It sounds so young and spontaneous. I've listened many times to the cover you posted on the "Introduce Yourself Board" (Love lies).  Like it a lot! Really! I shared it with some friends here in italy.

I've read  you're vegan. I'm vegan too. Hi little sister :)

Roberto

1 hour ago, robertolabruna said:

Hi Alia. Thanks a lot and very nice to meet you here :) I love your talking. It sounds so young and spontaneous. I've listened many times to the cover you posted on the "Introduce Yourself Board" (Love lies).  Like it a lot! Really! I shared it with some friends here in italy.

I've read  you're vegan. I'm vegan too. Hi little sister :)

Roberto

Nice to meet you too! And thank you so much, I really appreciate your kind words, and thank you so much for sharing it with friends. 

Yayy! Fellow vegan! ( Happy Face Emoji)

16 hours ago, nicetalkintoya said:

As a big Nirvana fan, I'm very impressed with what you've done here, Roberto!  You guys really made it your own and did it justice!  Enjoyed this one a lot! :) 

Thanks a lot James! Actually I was terrified that Nirvana fans would have killed me!

On youtube I found out another great cover of this song that maybe you already know. It's from a girl called Kawehi. She is really great.

When are going to post a new cover of yours on this board? It's been a while now. :) 

You're welcome, Roberto!  Hey, Nirvana fans should be happy you're keeping the music alive!  I know I am! ;)

I just checked out that girl Kawehi.  She's great!  Amazing how she does all that herself!    

Well, I'm close to recording a cover of "Seeing Things" by The Black Crowes.  It's going to be a challenging vocal, so not really sure if I'll be able to do it justice.  If you see it posted here, then you'll know it didn't quite suck! lol  

On 19/3/2018 at 12:48 AM, nicetalkintoya said:

Well, I'm close to recording a cover of "Seeing Things" by The Black Crowes.  It's going to be a challenging vocal, so not really sure if I'll be able to do it justice.  If you see it posted here, then you'll know it didn't quite suck! lol  

"If you see it posted here, then you'll know it didn't quite suck!" .... you're joking, aren't you? with your talent?!? :D 

Waiting for your post! Glad to know it's coming! :D 

Archived